Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

Thanks for the additional read.
    Finally got back in the gym saturday.
    Toned down the weight workout a bit to make sure I didn't overdo it again.

5 minute elliptical crosstrainer warmup

Flexibility
    2 supersets, 10 reps per exercise (5 per side), 12lb dumbells
    rotational squat
    reaching lunge
    side lunge & touch
    spiderman
    T pushup

Strength
    3 sets per set/superset, 10 reps per exercise (5 per side on lunges)
    Superset 1:
    Dumbbell Squat, Hammer Curl, Press w/25lb dumbbells
    Lat Pulldown w/130lbs
    Alternating Lunges w/25lb dumbbells
    Superset 2:
    dumbbell flat bench: 50, 55, 60lb dumbbells
    1-arm elbow-out row: 50, 55, 60lb dumbbells

Cardio
    HIIT on elliptical cross trainer
    3 min warm up
    15 sets of 15seconds on, 45 seconds active rest, level 17

Endurance
    Ended up cutting out this section because it was taking me a minute between exercises and I think just pushing me past the point of overdoing it.

Core
    unanchored situps - 3 sets of 10 reps
    russian twist - 3 sets of 5 each side
    lateral crunch - 3 sets of 5 each side
    hyperextension - 3 sets - 6, 10, 12 reps

Chilled out for almost an hour, waiting on my gf to come up.
    She said she wanted to learn some boxing.

We did:

3 rounds of jump rope
    3 rounds of shadow
    3 rounds of heavybag - alternating between just legs and just hands (one bag hung too low for hands, one bag hung high for kicks)

Didn't quite make up for missing one of my 2 muay thai workouts, but it was something.
    Ate like cr@p this past week and put on a few pounds.
    Got a lot to work on.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

So I went back to muay thai again last night.
    Workout itself was pretty easy.
    Partner wanted to shin bang instead of shinguard up so my shins are a bit tender today but not bad.
    Thoroughly convinced that shin banging is not the way to make your shins tough.
    I'll keep doing whatever the person I'm teamed with prefers, but if it's up to me, I'm gonna put on the shin guards - so we can speed up the drill a lil.
    Going again tonight and (most likely) tomorrow as well.
    Not sure when I'll fit in Gold's gym this week - probably friday and saturday.

Diet hasn't been too bad lately, but I don't think I've been eating enough.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Went to muay thai again
    pretty good workout
    coulda done a lil bit more pad and bag work
    sparred my coworker (it was either that or wait on the round robin to get 1 round with the more advanced guys).
    had a lot of height and weight on the guy but he did a lot better than I thought he'd do.
    likes to pull of taekwondo kicks, so occasionally he'd throw the really quick, kinda uncontrolled stuff; but all in all it was good.
    worked on my defense and trying to stand in close range without going immediately to the clinch.
    wasn't trying to win but still wasn't 100% thrilled with my performance.
    gotta give the guy credit tho; he's fast, he moves a lot better than a lot of the beginners & caught me quite a bit.
    guess i forgot to cut my pinky toenails coz he was cut up pretty good at the end - felt bad about that.
    stayed after to do some heavybag but a bunch of noobs took all the banana bags so i was stuck with the punching ball - worked a lot of punches, elbows, and knees. finished up with 30 rear leg kicks on the one banana bag i was able to snag just before they locked up. next time i'm pushin the noobs out the way.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 04-16-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Muay Thai again tonight.
    Almost wasn't gonna go.
    Was feeling sore and sleepy.
    Glad I went.
    Found my new workout partner.
    He's a lil taller- maybe 6 or 6'1.
    He's about the same size - 240, but he looks a lot more muscular, less bodyfat.
    His technique's pretty solid too.
    We sparred at the end of class; couldn't tell you how long.
    We were pretty evenly matched.
    Me maybe a lil quicker with a lil more experience.
    Him more powerful and slightly cleaner technique from that confidence.
    I'm really splitting hairs though, coz it was pretty dang even.
    It was awesome, we could throw a bit and not worry about injuries.
    We were going at an even pace so we didn't have to worry about a spazz injuring us.
    Coach had me stand in front of him.
    This is something that I've been nervous about for years, solely due to the lack of consistent big guy training partners.
    I think maybe I picked up some more power since moving to Texas coz I can remember pulling strafing runs on larger guys in the past, but standing pretty much toe-to-toe wasn't bad.
    For once I could put together hand and foot combos without some little guy doing a flying sidekick into my ribs......
    Just a lot of fun.
    I could see myself becoming a legitimate heavyweight sparring this guy and some others around the gym.

Eric....what's the guy's name you're working with?

I'm only able to make it to Phets during the days....
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

his name's Brad
    he goes in during the afternoons as well.
    don't know how long he's trained, but his technique was pretty clean so I'd be surprised if he hadn't been doing it a while.
    One of these days I'll have to go on an afternoon as well - maybe veteran's day or something.
    craving thai curry today.
    gonna hit gold's tonight- 3 straight days of contact training a week is about my limit right now with these old bones.
    Shame too coz boxing night fridays is a lot of fun with guys like marcell and the others.

Man...you keep talking like you're actually old. Aren't you like 30 or 31? Same age as me pretty much.

I do notice a bit of difference on how things wear on my body as opposed to ten years ago, but at the same time, a lot of good fighters are in their 30's and you can develop more muscle mass (more easily) in your 30's as opposed to your 20's.

I don't think I know Brad. Marcell is a tall skinny black dude with glasses right? He just sat on the couch all day when I was there!

I met a guy named Ray, been going for about 6 mts--good though. Black guy--stocky--probably a heavyweight. There's a white dude that drives a hummer as well, a little more muscular than Ray. I haven't sparred anyone there yet recently.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

The marcel I'm talking about is the diesel looking fillipino dude.

I've really felt a huge slowdown over the last 3 or 4 years.
    A lot of it is old injuries that never healed 100%.
    I'm still working on it tho.
    As long as I take my time, I can increase my training volume - just gotta make sure I don't let my ego get the best of me and rush it.

Friday night I fell asleep after work- I was zonked.
    Today (Saturday) I had too much stuff to do and didn't make it into the gym either.
    Planning on going tomorrow (Sunday) to at least get one weight workout in.

Next week I'm tagging along with my coworker to his mma gym.
    We're gonna do his weight routine.
    Plus, thursday I have a pt appointment.

This weekend was bad.
    Had a radiating pain coming out my right side and around my back - kinda where a "liver" or "kidney" shot would land.
    Didn't get hit there in sparring.
    had no energy this weekend.
    Slept till 3 in the afternoon on Saturday- which is why I was so busy trying to play catch up with the rest of the day.
    Sunday - didn't leave my apartment; stayed on the couch or in bed all day.
    What can I say? it didn't happen.

Monday I wasn't feeling great either but I wanted to go work out with my coworker at his gym.
    Pretty nice place.

Our workout looked like:

Superset 1 (done 3 times)
    -lat pulldown - 8 plates 30 reps
    -calf raise - almost the whole stack 30+ reps
    -arm curls - 10lb dbells 30 reps ***EDIT: These were standing dumbell flies for the shoulders not arm curls ***

Deadlifts - lots of knee bend
    135lbs x 10 reps
    205lbs x 10
    255lbs x 8
    275lbs x 6
    275lbs x 5

Little bit of jump rope until the jostling made my side hurt too much.
    Switched to shadow for 3 rounds.

heavybag
    2 rounds normal
    1 round with sporadic sets of 20 knees mixed in (we'd alternate between knees on the teardrop bag & normal bag work on "our" individual bag; switching off)
    1 round with sets of 40 punch outs mixed in (punch outs on the teardrop)
    1 round with intermittent "sprawls" called out
    1 round with sets of 10 fast roundkicks each leg mixed in (on a specific banana bag)

cool down
    walking with ab work: 70 crunches, 70 bicycles, 70 frog kicks, 70 leg lifts
    stretching
    light takedown sparring (he would go for the fit and I would try to defend)

pretty fun workout, probly go back today for more ground type work.

Doctor's appointment wednesday to maybe get some blood work done.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 04-24-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: messed up an exercise

Man, I've been bad about keeping this thing up...

Tuesday
    Started out teaming up with my coworker again.

strength circuit, 3 rotations, 30 reps per exercise:
    bench pushups (alternating circuits between wide stance & diamond)
    preacher bench curl on ez curl bar w/ 10lbs each side

grappling:
    ran through some submissions - triangle from guard, armbar from guard, some kind of rolling head & arm choke that you initiate while the guy's in a 4 point stance

standup:
    30 minutes on the heavybag working on teaching my coworker the stance transition and weight transfer involved in throwing hooks. Started out on thai pads & ended up on the bag.
    threw a good round or two of pure kicking in there as well.

muay thai:
    went home after the mma gym, walked my dog, and then caught the last hour of the muay thai class. Lots of heavybag work- kicked the bags approx 200+ times each leg, worked techniques with this girl who can really fight (but was playing gentle with me), and no-contact sparred one of the youngins in boxing (he's a good 170~180, but could probably be 150~160 easy). Good workout eventhough somewhat short, i'd lost all my steam by the end.

I've been having problems with liver or kidney on my right side - i think it's linked to my fatigue lately & it's prevented me from contact sparring and jump rope.
    so Wednesday I tried to get it checked out at the doctor.
    First appointment got canceled coz i was running late.
    Stopped into a clinic and waited for 3 hours until the doc saw me - only to tell me he really couldn't test it.
    He thought it was a muscle problem, eventhough I demonstrated no pain in performing any of the exercises that utilize the muscles around the area involved.
    He still gave me a couple sheets of exercises anyway.
    He said if it wasn't muscular, then there's a chance it's shingles.
    Wasted my entire day at that doctor and it was really a waste of time.
    Need to find a regular doctor (PCP) so I can actually get a blood test & figure out what's going wrong. Think it may be kidney stones- coz i notice it gets worse when I eat really sugary foods or drink dark-colored drinks (black coffee, iced tea, diet cola).

As a result wednesday was a bust - took a cheat day coz it was the only opportunity to spend any time with my gf until sunday.

tonight I have a personal training appointment.
    if i can i'll swing by the muay thai gym afterward.

Good work man!
    I've seen your blogs over the years...your ups and downs...seems like you're in a good place right now! Keep training hard!
    A unique snowflake

Thanks WP
    And you keep those san shou vids coming.
    Can't wait to see what you picked up from lkfmdc's seminar.

Hit up my personal trainer tonight; apparently i've still even got 1 more session after today.
    I take back anything bad I ever said about the guy.
    He put me on a workout of a few supersets that were mostly bodyweight & mostly complex exercises.
    Kicked my azz....I was sweating like crazy
    had me doing stuff like:
    front shoulder raised combined with a side lunge; supersetted with lunges combined with arm curls; and finally pushups into a plank.
    The first two exercises were just with 10lb dbells; but that superset was ROUGH - bad enough that i can't remember if i did it two or three times.
    The other supersets were no cake walk either.
    Very consistent with the supersets from my training book, so pretty stoked.

Afterwards; he used the foam rollers on my shins.
    Felt like my calves were giving birth.
    Hurt like he||, but wow, what a difference!
    I normally have a lot of swelling in my lower legs - so bad that usually when i take off my socks it looks like i've been wearing rubber bands.... poof 15 min of heck and it was gone
    not only that, but i've had this lump on the inside of my shin that i got about a month ago when my lead leg was "d@mn near broken" and afterwards my shin felt smooth again.
    Marked reduction in the stiffness & pain in my ankles.
    Me likee
    Gonna see if i can get a foam roll once a while to keep my legs functional.

Didn't make it to muay thai afterwards coz i was staying late with the foam roller treatment.
    Don't mind too much though coz i think it's really beneficial in the long run.
    Boxing night's tomorrow and i haven't decided if i'll go ahead and spar.
    Probably try it out for a lil while, keep it light and controlled, and stop if i have to.
    We'll see what happens.

foam rollers are great...... tennis ball work real good on legs and upper back.... tennis ball + foam roller = all most heaven......
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

wednesday when i went to the clinic i ran into my gf's friend.
    she was there with a sore throat.
    i guess i picked it up.
    today i'm sick
    i woke up with a sore throat
    i was trying to see if it would get better and then just go train without sparring or something.
    it got worse as the day's gone on.
    live to fight another day i guess.
    my gf's working all weekend, so i'll have a lot of free time for working out.
    my gf's friend was fine after a steroid shot; hoping a good night's sleep will be good enough for me.

So I've been sick since the 25th.
    Forum user vankuen called me last night (the 29th) to see if i'd meet up with him for muay thai class.
    I was still real congested and couldn't make it.
    Sorry dude.

Having to cancel really bothered me; especially after canceling my personal training appointment on Monday.

I think the frustration over getting sick might've had something to do with it; but I woke up early this morning, feeling good for once.
    I had great sleep last night.

Technically my cold's in my chest right now, but I took some mucacin and i was good to go.
    so tonight i went back to muay thai.

got to practice early so the fact that practice didn't go til 9 didn't affect my workout.
    gym looks a lot different now that the mma guys are gone.
    did a lot of mitt work and technique work.
    my nose started bleeding a bit in the middle of the workout, but i didn't really feel like i was overdoing it.

he said saturday is the day to go to get full on fighter training.
    Since the mma guys are no longer there, we can show up as early as 11am.
    probably gonna do that on saturdays from now on.