Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

Thurs 10/1
    long day
    went to the mma gym for boxing class with full intent of hurting that dude
    was keyed up all day
    he ended up spending the whole time on the mats grappling and din't work out with us
    o well
    workout was brutal
    for at least one of the rounds of partner work, one of the dudes i was working with was sparring with me instead of doing the drill, he was pretty good and i was burnt
    opted to sit out the sparring at the end of class

went to gold's after that coz i had to
    25 min of cardio
    at the beginning i thought i was gonna die
    went home and was cranky as heck
    couldn't eat solid food

dunno why i was so dead
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Thurs 10/1
    long day
    went to the mma gym for boxing class with full intent of hurting that dude
    was keyed up all day
    he ended up spending the whole time on the mats grappling and din't work out with us
    o well
    workout was brutal
    for at least one of the rounds of partner work, one of the dudes i was working with was sparring with me instead of doing the drill, he was pretty good and i was burnt
    opted to sit out the sparring at the end of class

went to gold's after that coz i had to
    25 min of cardio
    at the beginning i thought i was gonna die
    went home and was cranky as heck
    couldn't eat solid food

dunno why i was so dead
    Just one of those days!
    I'm dead tired right now and I've got several rounds of boxing, MMA sparring, and BJJ rolling coming in about an hour...this should be fun!
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Just one of those days!
    I'm dead tired right now and I've got several rounds of boxing, MMA sparring, and BJJ rolling coming in about an hour...this should be fun!
    yah i'm sure i'm at least going to hit gold's tonight but i'm trying to convince myself muay thai is a good idea too; don't think it's going to happen.

EDIT: Correction, I was pretty sure i was gonna go to Gold's. Walking down stairs after work, my back started cramping up again real bad; so i just went home.

pulled a muscle in my side/back - one of those obliques that wraps around by the floating ribs, feels like it might actually be my liver. think it started as a pulled muscle, but been taking a lot of body shots lately - one yesterday almost made me puke. there's a voice in the back of my head screaming "let these old bones heal!".

when i had a reason to train that was more important than any excuse i could come up with, short of serious injury, i tried not to think of the actual workout but just focus on showing up to the gym & assuming the workout part would work itself out. it worked for the most part, unless it was really not happening, definitely got me to go on days i didn't think i had it in me.

not having anything to train for right now is kinda "meh".
    this weekend's my wife's birthday, today actually. we're gonna celebrate it at an oktober fest thing tomorrow in a small germantown about an hour away.
    next week i get to hang out with my buddy when he gets back from iraq (coming home this sunday actually). says he's taking us out for sushi and he's got a bottle of johnny walker blue.

long story short, next couple weeks, being healthy ain't really on the menu.
    working out mostly for fun, not expecting any gains.
    after that i think i gotta renew my commitment to cleaning up my act.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 10-02-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

I think having fun is the most important thing...once it becomes anything more, it runs the risk of not being fun.

That said, sometimes when you train for a fight there's days where it seems like work, and I've learned over time that it doesn't matter if you miss a day as long as you're busting your ass and if it wasn't fun, then I'd stop.
    A unique snowflake

did you say "germantown?" there is a germantown near u? cause, i have usually only heard about the one near me, and i think one in philly.

okterbest and sushi, sounds like a fun evening.

we have a good sushi restaraunt just down the street from where i live. do you have any recommendations about sushi? i havent had sushi yet - no laughing at me! lol. i just am not much of a fish person, but i would be willing to give sushi a try.... with a few pints of slightly chilled saki.

Just ask them for uni, natto, hotaru ika, and shirako if they've got it, and you'll be fine. And ask if they have a bottle of One Cup, and a pint glass: it's one of the finest sakis.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

thnx mr punch. it looks like a fine place, so i imagine that they will have the best. oh yeah, it's called Wasabi's.

i gotta get there soon. any other suggestions are welcome guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    nah
    i'm still getting used to watching my kid by myself on the weekends
    i think it's gonna be hard to get a 2 month old up and going; also be a lot to ask of him to sit idly by while i train
    Try taking longer rests and pick him up inbetween sets. That is what I do with my 18 month old daughter. Even when mama watches her she wants to play with me. So I pick her up and let her hang from the pullup bar and touch the weight bars. When it is time to do a set, I tell her, "Its papa's turn" and either give her to her mom or put her in her play pen. At first she doesn't like being put down, but over time she got used to the rhythm of it and settles down now and waits her turn.

Eventually, when it becomes routine for him, he will think of it as just another way of spending time with you.

I did this same thing with my 18 year old son and my 13 year old son when they were babies. They are both lifters now, LOL I think my daughter will be one too!

Quote Originally Posted by KTS View Post
    thnx mr punch. it looks like a fine place, so i imagine that they will have the best. oh yeah, it's called Wasabi's.

i gotta get there soon. any other suggestions are welcome guys.
    Oh ****... don't order what I just suggested! I was only messing with you and was expecting Pork Chop to come on and have a laugh and then we'd all have a laugh etc...

I mean, I like all of it apart from the shirako, but ****, it's not a beginner's palate!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

i do my research. haha. now, if it were a korean restaraunt, then i would know my way around.

but yeah, where the hell is mr pork chop? i mean this is his thread and all.

did you say "germantown?" there is a germantown near u? cause, i have usually only heard about the one near me, and i think one in philly.

okterbest and sushi, sounds like a fun evening.

we have a good sushi restaraunt just down the street from where i live. do you have any recommendations about sushi? i havent had sushi yet - no laughing at me! lol. i just am not much of a fish person, but i would be willing to give sushi a try.... with a few pints of slightly chilled saki.
    wow, i haven't checked this thread in forever
    by german town, i mean Fredericksburg, TX
    there are tons of little German towns in the Texas hill country:
    Boerne, New Braunfels, Schertz, etc but Fredericksburg is the biggest

oktoberfest was pretty awesome by the way
    got a really nice stein and 2 awesome growlers
    spent way too much money

if you can get a cold shouchuu (焼酎) named tempai i think you'd like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Just ask them for uni, natto, hotaru ika, and shirako if they've got it, and you'll be fine. And ask if they have a bottle of One Cup, and a pint glass: it's one of the finest sakis.
    Yeah, KTS don't do this
    uni = sea urchin, looks like an piece of chewed, orange gum
    natto = soy beans that have been fermented, looks like soy beans in syrup, smells like feet
    hotaru ika = firefly squid, and they basically look like...

shirako = soft roe... fish semen... not too bad tho
    One Cup Sake is alright

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Try taking longer rests and pick him up inbetween sets. That is what I do with my 18 month old daughter. Even when mama watches her she wants to play with me.
    my kid doesn't really like playing with daddy all that much
    but he's only 5 months old (today, in fact).
    though, I am finally getting my own house - close Nov 2
    so i can finally have some training equipment in my own place
    will probably start slow with kettlebells
    *may* get a weight bench & power rack for the study if i can convince the wife

i do my research. haha. now, if it were a korean restaraunt, then i would know my way around.

but yeah, where the hell is mr pork chop? i mean this is his thread and all.
    sorry i ain't been around
    life's been busy
    and as far as martial arts type stuff,
    for the second time since i was 16, i've lost the taste for it.
    the first time was in 06 after a particularly bad break up.

the rough thing is that it comes and goes
    for 2 weeks i'll be fine, my old self, ready to train
    then for a few weeks i'll be like "no, not so much"
    i was getting really upset at myself for a while,
    you can probably see it in my older posts
    but i've kinda just learned to accept it

been going through a huge transitional phase
    moved down here 2 years ago and in the last year i've gotten married, had a kid, and gotten a house - my head's still spinning and this is far from "normal" for me.

like i said on another thread;
    i gotta sit down and plan out a good fitness routine for weight reduction/management.
    something to carry me through the next 6 months or so till things settle down a little.

transitional phase for me too. re-entering the school life.

study takes up so much time!
    and i have a ton of things to practice between xingyi, and the bagua and taiji i know.

but, what is great i find is that if i get even slightly bored at doing silk reeling. then i can just switch over to standing practice, circle walking, or throwing bigger friends around(which i always find slightly amusing.)

yeah, i am somewhat illiterate when it comes to japanese food. i have made and enjoy both korean and chinese food. but have never made a traditional or modern japanese dish. but, since i have Wasabi, a nice looking place down the street from me, i am anxious to give their food a try.

wow, those pictures were very appetizing. im hungry now! maybe i can take it slow and ask for some of that as toppings next time i order a pizza.