Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

last post promise,this one is about basic endurance and cardio training for MMA

Okay there seems to be some confusion in the last few posts. Cardiac output work, i.e. lower intensity higher volume, trains the heart itself and the cardiac sysem itself to deliver more oxygen to the working muscles because it increases the size of the left ventricle of the heart. You keep the HR in the 120-150 or so range because this is where maximum stroke volume occurs. Above those ranges stroke volume tends to go down and you lose the effect.

I read somewhere another coach gave an answer to a question about cardio and said there wasn't much of a need to do cardio because strength training also increases the size of the heart. This is bad information and is nonsense. Strength training increases the size of the heart but in a different way and only increases it relative to body size. In other words strength training makes all of your muscles bigger including your heart but relatively speaking your volume of your left ventrical does not improve just from strength training.

The addage about long slow aerobic work killing your strength is nonense unless you're talking about a huge volume of aerobic work. Yes of course if you spent hours a day running it has a negative impact on strength development to some level, but a few times a work of GPP work in the cardiac output ranges is not going to hurt your maximum strength.

HICT is not targeting the heart so much as the muscles oxidative abilities themselves, specifially the fast twitch oxidative-glycolytic fibers to be exact. It's different than cardiac output work. Remember there is two sides to energy production, supply from the cardiovascular system and demand from the neuromuscular system. You need to develop both sides of the equation together in the right order and with the right methods to really improve your conditioning

wow man thanks for all that info!

and don't feel bad about the Rooney stuff.
    i don't think you steered me wrong,
    like i said, his website's solid
    i joined over there & read most of the blogs
    I even did that "workout of the week" and thought that 275/315 challenge looked pretty freakin awesome.
    i just didn't think much of the book, tho it was still my decision to get it.

i'm gonna read all that 8weeks out stuff as soon as i can.
    i've been reading their forums a little bit this week.

hopefully my back is feeling better soon & I can start making up for some of my dietary sins this week.

thanks again
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

hope some of its of use, if you want me to post it elsewhere so it doesn't take up space on your training log just say

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    hope some of its of use, if you want me to post it elsewhere so it doesn't take up space on your training log just say
    nah, the bigger this thing is, the more it looks like i'm training
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Here are some posts he has written about a method of training that increases your aerobic power and helps your endurance.

If you don’t have a veraclimber you can use a spin bike aslong as ristance is enough to keep your HR between 150-160bpm and the rpm below 30. If not weighted high box spetups do the same job (they just really suck)
    I like this
    it sounds like what i do with the arc trainer; which is like the b@stard child of a versaclimber, an aerodyne, and an elliptical.
    i crank up the resistance to near max (it says 70%, but the machine maxes out around 80 or 90 as far as sustainable duration) and i keep my heart rate between 160 and 180 for the duration

i'll try 2 sets of 20 today.

thurs 1/28
    worked out today (surprisingly)

20 min elliptical warm up

squat - 185 x 5, 225 x 5, (245x3 straight into 225x2)
    *wasn't confident of finishing last 2 reps on last set so i kinda bailed, will nail it next time

deadlift - 225x5, 275x5, 315x5
    *on these and on the squats i was doing a ton of bodyweight only reps to demonstrate for my wife who wanted to start to learn proper form, so i used that as my "cooldown" sets

assist chin - 70x5, 50x5, 30x5, 90x15
    *feel like i'm getting stronger at this one

assist dip - 50x5, 30x5, 10x5, 70x15
    *last set was hard but i barely eeked it out, getting stronger for sure.

20 min elliptical cardio
    *this time was a higher pace than first time, though same resistance & incline

as soon as i got home it's like someone drained my batteries.
    i have been eating pretty unhealthy all week, today was no exception
    barely staying awake right now at 9pm
    think it's coz i've been up since 4am

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I like this
    it sounds like what i do with the arc trainer; which is like the b@stard child of a versaclimber, an aerodyne, and an elliptical.
    i crank up the resistance to near max (it says 70%, but the machine maxes out around 80 or 90 as far as sustainable duration) and i keep my heart rate between 160 and 180 for the duration

i'll try 2 sets of 20 today.
    If you try it keep your heart rate below your anaerobic threshold, normally below 170bpm, and get the resistance to where you can only do 20-30rpm, that will keep the oxygen in the blood supply work the fast and slow twitch muscles

If you try it keep your heart rate below your anaerobic threshold, normally below 170bpm, and get the resistance to where you can only do 20-30rpm, that will keep the oxygen in the blood supply work the fast and slow twitch muscles
    Ok, so my first 20min set was good. Second not so much. I'll keep working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Ok, so my first 20min set was good. Second not so much. I'll keep working on it.
    it sucks doing 2 sets, make sure to rest 5 to 10 mins between sets. when i used weighted step up i normally managed 1 20min set then 1 10 min set before giving up!if possible i would not do any other training that day other than some very lght stuff, its very taxing

it sucks doing 2 sets, make sure to rest 5 to 10 mins between sets. when i used weighted step up i normally managed 1 20min set then 1 10 min set before giving up!if possible i would not do any other training that day other than some very lght stuff, its very taxing
    i think i'm going to plan to just do my weight workout between the 2 sets.
    might not be 100% his intention, but i don't think it'll kill me.
    yeah, the second set is really hard to keep my heart rate under 170, but I'm looking at a 4 day training week, with 1 day at muay thai, so very little time to actually devote multiple days to pure cardio.
    if i could do weights & the 2 20min sets twice a week and could bump the muay thai to twice a week, that would be ideal

this week is kicking my azz
    normally my masters classes are every-other week,
    this is one of the few that has back-to-back trips to houston
    i have all my homework for my masters class due this saturday
    i have a huge assignment for work due on friday
    i also have evaluations/performance review at work for the promotion stuff due on friday
    it's all hitting this week - didn't even know about most of it till late last week, early this week

i'm tired
    i've been working 10~12 hour days
    haven't been able to work out
    haven't been eating well
    haven't been sleeping well

if i manage to get everything finished it'll be a real accomplishment.

next week should be quite a bit easier

10 to 12 hour work days chop? d@mn! maybe you should just become a personal trainer. you got your sh.. together enough to probably profit off that alone.

btw, any new "what's wrong with u people!?!?" movies?

Quote Originally Posted by KTS View Post
    10 to 12 hour work days chop? d@mn! maybe you should just become a personal trainer. you got your sh.. together enough to probably profit off that alone.

btw, any new "what's wrong with u people!?!?" movies?
    yeah, wednesday was a 14 hour day (was at work till 11:45pm).

hrm....nothing recent that i've seen movie wise.
    still trying to catch robo geisha.

robo geisha? hmm, that title, .....

now imma try to find that haha.

14 hour days just sound terrible man. hope they are worth the trouble for ya.

now, i am bringing back some of my old gym equipment, things like the chuck norris gym(i know the name, but i like calling it the chuck norris gym cause it sounds a tad more bad@ass), my captians chair/pullups and dips bars equipment, weights, etc. didnt realize how much stuff i had stashed at my pop's house.

have u ever used one of those super home gym set ups? did u like any of them? i ask cause i might wanna buy new eqiupment as i am turning the basement into a home gym and small training center. the low ceiling is a bit of a prob though.

i've used bowflex (with the rods), soloflex (with the rubber bands), and all-in-one nautilus (old school cables, pulleys, & weights).

the only stuff i've had for home use was an old 200lb olympic weight set (not to be confused with rubber olympic plates), some kettlebells, a dumbbell or 2, and a doorway chin up bar.

i don't have a good track record when it comes to using workout equipment at home.
    These days, when i'm home i can't separate myself from my wife and kid long enough to put in a work out, it's hard enough to get any sort of alone time to work on the computer.
    In the past, i was only consistent if i had a specific goal i was working towards.

This last week was bad.
    on monday i tried the 4 horseman burger challenge (look it up on youtube) - it messed me up royally, it's not made for human consumption. as far as its effects on the inside, it's not unlike swallowing pepper spray.
    fell off the wagon with beer; starting on monday in the evening after the hellburger.
    eating garbage
    not working out
    most of all i'm not focused

wanted to create a routine based around a specific goal.
    the master's and the new work schedule mean that fighting is completely out of the question; as are long workouts.

i want to set up something where i sneak out of work at 1 to hit the gym; where i do 10~20min of cardio, 1 weight exercise -a compound lift following some kind of pyramid progression, 10~20 more minutes of cardio, grab a shower and go back to work.

When i'm getting out of work after 8pm i just don't have it in me to go straight to the gym right now. I know it's totally a matter of priorities & motivation. but i think i'd do a lot better mid-day. i just don't want to be strolling in there and just doing cardio 24/7; want to have a goal. Losing weight & building strength (not size) would be in line with what i wanna do.