Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

good workout today, was doing like 10 minute thai pad rounds.
    Worked a good 10 or 15 minutes of clinch wrestling at the end.
    Got there a half hour early and ran through a stretching routine.

Just found out today on extremely short notice that I will be in Maryland Thursday so all my peeplez keep an eye out for me. I'm going to try to say "hi" to as many of you as I can. I'll be in town until sunday.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

had a fun time in maryland.
    really great to see you guys again.

friday had a pretty good workout.
    was barely counting rounds, mostly just hitting stuff
    decent amount of pad work.
    was trying some new combos that julio wanted me to get - really awkward stuff.
    wrestled with big 280lber and got dominated - think he's top 5 high school wrestler in state of md.

saturday
    worked out again.
    this one was a little lighter.
    hit the sauna and did a TON of flexibility exercises.
    shadowboxed a bit then did a few rounds on mitts - again, trying out crazy combos.

took off sunday coz i was traveling and i need a day to rest up after that trip on monday.

Tuesday
    hit gold's for a workout in the AM.
    going to muay thai in the pm.

morning:
    10 minute warm up on elliptical cross trainer, was feeling a little sluggish.

dynamic stretching - 5 each side, 15lb dumbells
    rotating squats
    reaching lunge
    lateral lunge
    spiderman crawl
    T pushups
    note: heavier dumbells took a lot out of me, plus working out in the AM means my heart gets racing pretty quick

strength 3 sets of each number, 10 reps each exercise
    1-
    squat-curl-press complex with 35lb dumbells
    lat pulldown with 140lb
    note: long rest after 2nd set, 3rd set went up easy, am workout is rough

2-
    step forward, step backward lung x 5 times each leg x 35lb dumbells

3-
    dumbell bench w/70lb dbells
    one arm, elbow-out, row w/70lbs

crawled out of the gym and went home to get ready for work.
    working out in the morning really is an endurance trial.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Tuesday part 2
    Okay so i got to the gym around 6:15 today.
    had a good workout going.
    was supposed to work pads with this guy i work well with
    coach stuck me with another guy i kinda get along with, who's bigger.
    i was a lil ticked coz the first guy and i have this whole pad routine down
    the second guy just hold the same combo until i start wanting to vomit - occasionally trying to smack me in the head with the pad in the middle of a punch (ie i'm throwing a right upper cut and he's smacking me in the face on the same side i'm punching with).
    thai pads come and it's more of the same bs - i throw rear round kick continuously for 5+ minutes.
    of course i hold for him and he does maybe half the workload.
    the pads he chooses stink by the way, i think i've got a forearm bruise - there's no padding.
    after pads i'm pretty much done and have to take a break - dehydrated & overheating.
    then we work technique drills
    these go well

then he decides he wants to spar.
    in the back of my mind i'm like 'f*ck no, you're wearing 14oz reyes gloves you've been using for 2 or 3 years'; but i man up and go for it anyway.
    we're doing alright, but he parries my jab and fires a jab over - catching me real good and knocking my contact out (not to mention stealing my favorite technique).
    i say "i don't mind you hitting me in the head, but can you take it easy on my eye?"
    his response "you're running into it" (umm no, you're parrying me as i'm coming in and popping me, there's a difference).
    so we go a little more i catch him a lil bit, then he does it again.
    this time the contact rolls back in my eye.
    "can you ease up a lil on my eye?"
    "you're running into it".
    We start going again and I catch him, but also get a little sloppy coz i don't want to give him the opportunity to pop me in the eye again.
    He asks "so I take it you want to step up the pace?"
    i say "go hard if you want to go hard, your call man"
    he takes a break to go get a mouthpiece.
    this time i start shelling, he starts swinging away with a flurry - with 14oz reyes with no padding even "soft" shots don't feel that soft.
    he starts to say "look you're running into it"; but he's smoking crack coz i caught his shot with my glove, i reply "i caught you, you didn't even catch me".
    I pop him one and roll out, again he says "so you want to step up the pace? coz you're going hard"
    I say "go hard as you want man"
    This time I stop throwing altogether.
    For about 30 seconds I stop leading the dance.
    I make him come to me.
    parry for the most part and don't even fire back.
    he rushes in and i pop him one time pretty d@mn good.
    He starts whining at the coach "he's going too hard"
    I'm like "i give up... if i tell you that you're going too hard you tell me i'm running into it; but if i catch you good, then i'm going too hard...wtf?" and take off my gloves- I know i'm losing my temper and if i keep going with this guy it's gonna be a war.

we have about a minute or two of b!tch session time.
    i bite the bullet and blame myself.
    i do feel bad that i was losing my cool; and was kicking myself as i left the gym after profusely apologizing - promising to give him a freebie next time.

Afterwards at the grocery store, i start replaying the events in my head coz it's bothering me and I kinda have a change of heart in regards to my guilt.
    I know i was being sloppy and not being a good partner; but am I really being that wrong?
    I ask you to ease up after you knock my contacts out of my head and you dismiss it, saying it's my fault; but then expect me not to catch you when I've got an open opportunity?
    oh well.
    i hate sparring; especially at this place.
    If it's boxing sparring, just go hard.

Ah dude, its a contact sport, if you/he doesn't like the contact, don't spar.
    Now, its not like you were going full contact ie: going with intent for the KO.

In sparring you need to his hard enough to keep it real.

That is why I Spar with only a handful of guys at both the boxing gym and the MT gym I go do, combined.
    The rest I don't bother with.
    Every time I spar someone "new" it end sup like what you described, more or less, the only difference is that I tend not to be as nice as you.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm trying to get the thai pad work to the point that it's like a good spar- lots of going back and forth, defense & offense, getting hit if i don't defend, but still being able to throw good, full-force shots. I've got a guy that I've been working with who's really starting to get it down- just need to help him put together good fight strategy so he can kinda "mold" me with the pads.

Thursday was a really good muay thai workout.
    Killed it in the gym.
    jump rope - taichi - ram muay - stretching - heavybag - thai pads (for over an hour) - heavybag - ab work
    Left almost everything I had there.
    finished up with ab work & didn't get through as much as i wanted before having to take a rest.
    coach wants me to work on abs a lot more.
    he said i was in good shape though. woot

met water dragon last night too; after talking on the phone with him a few times. it was fun, real cool guy.

Yeah, we gotta kick it again.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Yeah, we gotta kick it again.
    definitely

Saturday was a good day.
    didn't sleep much friday night so i had a "5 hour energy" to help me wake up.
    mighta been a mistake with the 90+ degree heat.
    worked on a lot of crossfit type combat conditioning stuff after some jump rope.
    slam ball, sand bag pulls, sand bag carries
    mixed in some calisthenics
    by this point i was pretty much dying
    then the whole gym helped one of our guys get ready for a fight june 21
    so we all just tried to wear him out
    pad work - clinch - sparring - more clinch
    first clinch round i had went well but i gassed after
    forgot my mouthpiece so my first round of sparring was kinda short
    finished out another round of sparring well
    and i finished out a really good half round of clinch after that
    we did light sparring for a few rounds too till the guy was all but fried
    really great guy to work with though, skill level very high & a joy to spar.
    *gasp, i actually had fun sparring someone*

worked with another guy to finish out class- teaching him the basic defense drills and some light freestyle with them afterwards (in other words, light sparring).

learned a lot too, constantly picking up clinch tricks; we all like clinch and i think we're going to have pretty advanced clinch for americans in muay thai.

coach told me to add 2 miles of jogging in a day and calf raises - he thinks i can build up my lower legs, which are pretty small. it can't hurt so i'll do my best.

afterwards i rested an hour or two

then i went to gold's gym:
    20 laps of swimming freestyle
    10 laps of butterfly down, backstroke (just kicking) back
    I believe the pool's 25 meters

lifted weights
    used 10lb dbells for my dynamic warm up coz i was a bit drained
    rotating squat, reaching lunge, lateral lunge, 1-legged calf raise, spidermans, t pushups

squat - curl - press complex w/30lb dumbells -> independent pulley pulldown machine w/120lbs

lunges w/30lb dumbells

hammer strength bench (70lbs each arm) -> t-bar row w/70lbs

finished up with 25 minutes on the treadmill; didn't make 2 miles coz i was beat.
    jogged a mile and walked 3/4s of a mile.

afterwards i went to my friend's house for a big UFC party and watched it with one of Mario Sperry's IFL fighters - the guy who beat ivan salaverry was a personal friend of his and we found out the results of that fight before the event even started airing. awesome party. TONS of great barbecue.

monday every gym was closed and i had a little too much fun cooking beer boiled brats so Tuesday i had to recuperate.

I finally got back into the gym Wednesday
    Woke up at 6:00 and got there by 6:45

cardio warm up on the treadmill; attempted to get 2 miles again.
    In all I ran 15:30.
    Warmed up the first 2:30
    Ran the next 10 minutes at 7mph
    cooled off the last 2:30 for a total of over 1.5 miles
    running hurts - my hips, knees, and back are suffering.

after that it was on to dynamic flexibility
    10lb dbells, 5 reps each side (10 for bilaterals), 3 times through
    twisting squat, reaching lunge, side lunge, calf raise + shoulder press, spiderman, t-pushups

strength exercises was rough, my endurance in am workouts isn't so great
    Only went through each superset twice.

superset 1:
    squat-curl-press complex w/40lb dbells
    lat pulldown w/150lbs

superset 2:
    step forward, step back lunges w/40lb dbells x 5 reps x each side

superset 3
    dumbell bench x 70, 75lb dbells
    1-armed wide elbow row x 70, 75lb dbells x 10 reps x each side

I was basically dead after this workout
    went home, showered up, then went to work.

in the evening, it was off to muay thai:
    got there early
    15 minutes jump rope (hope to maybe hit 20min)
    taichi
    ram muay
    flexibility
    intense bag work
    held pads for a while
    thai pads

1 step sparring. Worked with a small guy, think he was young. He kept trying to "win" eventhough we said no contact due to him wearing mma gloves & neither wearing mouthguards. He kept flurrying up on me & trying to run me over while we were doing 1-step attack/counter drills. first time he ran me over, i accidentally clocked him on the jaw with a reverse elbow just trying to catch my balance. next he went for a knee that caught me in the thigh, i got full clinch on him and held him down, i mighta landed a full power knee in there, not sure, I was trying to keep it light for the most part - but i think i landed one thing hard. 10 seconds later he kneed me in the nuts when i tried to let him up out of the clinch. Kept just reminding him to keep it simple & work on the basics, that i wasn't punching when he was flurrying, coz i was trying to let him get some work in. he kept trying to punch me when i was slowly feeding him leg kicks to catch - he tried to imply i was dropping my hand when i kicked, so i hooked over the top of his little cheap shot & caught him (extra gently). later he tried flurrying up again - this time i shielded up and caught him with a slow motion uppercut that i just pushed right up on through. i think he got the hint. once he settled down, he was a pretty good kid. I think he comes from an mma background so the concept of going light is still very new to him. he's lucky i was, coz with 100+ pound weight advantage & better skill I coulda put him out of commission without half trying. i was doing everything i could to stay calm and not escalate it with him; in the end I think it worked and it turned out half decent.

after that i jumped in the ring with one of the advanced guys and we had a great spar for a couple rounds. i noticed i am really timid to throw my cross and i kept putting myself in bad position by trying to use my lead hand too much. gotta work on that. Otherwise, the advanced guy was a way awesome spar.

came home and took my dog on a long walk.
    still rehydrating and wondering if i should do some ab work; reluctant to coz my lower back is aching.

Going to try to work out again tomorrow coz of the damage i did on monday.

okay, so my back's killing me.
    what i thought was just a minor ache from the jog, appears to be a pulled muscle in the lower back.
    couldn't wake up to go to the gym, got up so late that i really shouldn't go to muay thai class.
    plus, I'm not sure i can throw any kicks with my back like this.
    I just don't think jogging's going to work out.
    I can handle jump rope, so I think I'm going to equate jumping rope for 10 minutes as 1 mile.
    Maybe when I drop another 10~20 pounds I can give jogging another shot, but right now, this ain't good.

You know Chop'....there's nothing wrong with resting when your body needs it.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

it's just...
    when you're a big tubby guy, everyone wants you to do more than the little guys...
    in other words, you gotta work harder & do more to make up for the fact that you're built the way you are...
    That's the mentality i came up with at most of the places i've trained...

in my head i know - a heavier body means you're already doing more work, that the intensity is higher for even "easy" stuff just because of the extra weight, that it's not how hard you work in the gym, but how much you're body reacts to a given stimulus (how much it heals up & improves from the heck you put it through), and that overdoing it is a bad thing.

the thing is i try to follow whatever people tell me - especially trainers.
    if there's extra credit to be done, i'd like to do it.
    I know ideally, i should probably be going to gold's 5 days a week and muay thai 6 days a week.
    the thing is, i know my body can't handle that volume of training for very long.
    even in 05 when i was doing well, the few times i tried to step up my workout from 4 or 5 days a week to 6; i lasted a week or two before i had to take off.

right now i'm doing pretty well working out 3 times a week.
    it's a constant struggle to remind myself not to overdo it.

everyone says the reason i'm still big is coz i don't run.
    and phet wants me to run too.
    but i gotta be honest, running for me, right now, is the difference between having a productive workout week and overdoing it.

today was a pretty good day, but a little light compared to wednesday.

slept for 9+ hours last night
    my back is feeling better
    but i didn't make it into the gym in the morning
    instead i got out of work around 5:15 and headed over to gold's

at gold's i did:

dynamic warmup with no weight and only 2 times through each circuit.
    I wanted to use it for it's original purpose, ie dynamic flexibility drills to warm me up and get me ready for other exercises; not something I really had to struggle to get through.
    twisting squats, reaching lunges, lateral lunges, overhead reaching calf raises, T pushups, spiderman

strength workout:
    again, i went pretty light, mostly on the leg stuff - because i was nervous about re-injuring my back.
    EDIT: I also went for speed, and limited rest between sets.

superset 1 - (3 times through)
    squat - curl - overhead press complex with 15lb dumbbells x 10
    lat pulldown with 100, 120, 130 x 10ea

superset 2 - (3 times through)
    step forward lunge - step backward lunge x 15lb dumbbells x 5 x each side
    in between each lunge set i did a set of 10 calf raises

superset 4 - (2 times through)
    dumbbell bench press x 75lb, 80lb dumbbells x 10
    one-armed, wide-elbow row x 75lb, 80lb dumbbell x 10 x each side

Felt alright after this, not overly energized/fresh, but not dead; sweating pretty good & breathing hard.

then I went to the muay thai gym:
    20 minutes of jump rope
    taichi
    rammuay
    quick stretching routine (mostly static stretches)
    heavybag for 15 minutes
    thai pads (holding & hitting, switching off every 2 rounds) for a total of about 8 rounds; it was really hard work coz we were freestyling legs first, legs + hands next & we're both big guys so we didn't have to recover from hard blows much as padholder (30+minutes)
    then heavy bag for about a round or two
    finished out with 20 minutes of light boxing sparring with a new guy - he was really good about hearing me out on the purpose on the sparring being to refine the technique and build up the reactions.
    we were slowly freestyling boxing attack/counter drills so we could lay the ground work for better reactions when we speed up.
    It was kind of shocking to see how many times I kept putting myself in the same bad positions that i would get in when the sparring was more intense.
    eventhough i've been doing this a good long time, i really see the need for going back to this stuff every time you come off of a long layoff - sometimes your body forgets the right way to move.

all-in-all it was 3 solid hours of working out
    a little shorter than i had planned and i didn't really leave it all in the gym, but i guess that's a good thing if I want to work out tomorrow morning.
    I did learn some stuff though and hopefully was able to clean up some of my technique.
    EDIT: The temp in the gym today was about 93 degrees Fahrenheit; so that does strange things to your endurance.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 05-30-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Killer workout today.
    2 hours of really hard work.
    lots of slam ball, medball, and sandbag work at the beginning
    lots of muay thai drills/sparring/clinching in the middle
    and lots of heavybag work at the end
    i love this gym, coz not only am I getting good workouts, I'm learning a lot.
    helping out another training partner get ready for a fight in june, so we really killed it.
    going swimming in a little bit - shoulders kinda sore.

My saturday swim was pretty light - put in some jacuzzi and sauna time too in order to be a lil nice to my body.

Sunday I went to Sea World from 10 in the morning till 5 at night.
    The first half of the day was walking around the park looking at the fish stuff
    the second half of the day was spent at the water park.
    got pretty sunburnt (even with sun screen) and my feet got all torn up

Monday my coworker invited me to one of his semi-private late-night training sessions at his mma gym with Marcello Salazar. I'd met Marcello a couple times before and he's a real good guy. I hit the bags for 30+ minutes and mostly just watched the no-gi grappling. I explained why I'm nervous about the ground and promised to do more next time (Thursday). I ain't gonna lie though, a big part of it was because I'm still healing up from my Sea World trip.

slept in till almost noon this morning. I was draggin a$$ the day before at work and told everyone i was going to come in late- just sleep as much as i needed to so i could actually be productive. I may still be in trouble, i dunno. Probably not a good idea to jet out of here to go to muay thai at 6. So I think I'll work late and go to gold's later tonight. Hope I can work out - my feet are pretty scabbed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    it's just...
    everyone says the reason i'm still big is coz i don't run.
    and phet wants me to run too.
    but i gotta be honest, running for me, right now, is the difference between having a productive workout week and overdoing it.
    Speaking in a non-martial arts context...Phet and everyone else probably are not experts in the field of weight loss the best / healthiest ways to workout. Most people are parrots that simply repeat what they've been told. You know that running isn't the end all exercise, and that there are ways to lose fat percentage without destroying your back, hips, knees, and ankles. If you can't run right now--no problem. My advice would be to get some answers from medical docs as to why your back and whatever else hurts when you run. There might be something out of alignment, could also be something due to your running methodology, could simply be the weight. If it's the methodology or the weight, do some research on either ways to run "better" or find running alternatives.

Since I've started doing interval training in almost everything I do (bag work, pad work, judo, running, swimming, etc) the fat percentage seems to be falling steadily.

FWIW, my back kills me when I run too. I'm working on ways around it...I have an overpronation problem and there are some other things about my anatomy too that cause this, but since I don't want to give it up I've also done the NB shoes thing like you did -- though that didn't help. I may need to stick to swimming instead or using the eliptical. To me...it's all about the heart rate when it comes to cardio.

BTW...I went by Phet's yesterday after class...I guess he's not there around 130pm on Mondays? I told him my new work/school schedule was going to retard my training frequency, an he told me to come whenever that he's always there. Guess not! lol
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Even a moderate paced HB workout burns more calories than jogging.
    Not sure why anyone would recommend jogging to burn fat ( LOL ) to anyone that is probably doing enough cardio (moderate paced) as it is.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !