Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    BTW...I went by Phet's yesterday after class...I guess he's not there around 130pm on Mondays? I told him my new work/school schedule was going to retard my training frequency, an he told me to come whenever that he's always there. Guess not! lol
    I dunno I haven't been there for an afternoon class ever.
    The class times from what I remember are 11-1; 2-4; and 7-9.
    The next 3 day weekend I'm hoping i can go work out at all 3 classes.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin
    Not sure why anyone would recommend jogging to burn fat ( LOL ) to anyone that is probably doing enough cardio (moderate paced) as it is.
    There is a long standing tradition in boxing and muay thai that road work is where you get your endurance and weight-loss from.

Thinking back, in 05 i was working sprint sessions pretty religiously on the elliptical crosstrainer and I could go all out in boxing sparring at my old gym - guys trying to kill me & me trying to hurt them right back; for 3+ rounds straight without really breathing hard.

Guess I'll stick with my preferred method of endurance work- just need the confidence to follow my own way sometimes I guess.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    IThere is a long standing tradition in boxing and muay thai that road work is where you get your endurance and weight-loss from.
    Bingo. roadwork is at the heart of many a fighter's training and has been for ages... It's like stancework in CMA. Can I find more efficient ways of building leg "strength"? sure I can. Better ways to learn footwork? sure I can. But stance training remains a CMA staple anyway.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Bingo. roadwork is at the heart of many a fighter's training and has been for ages... It's like stancework in CMA. Can I find more efficient ways of building leg "strength"? sure I can. Better ways to learn footwork? sure I can. But stance training remains a CMA staple anyway.
    Old habits die hard.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Last night I ended up putting neosporin on my cut up feet and calling it a night.
    Just walking my dog was agonizing.
    Then, the little git ate my dirty rice.

My Top Ten gloves came in last night, I'm really anxious to try them out.
    They're "sparring gloves" but I gotta break them in for the next week or two.
    Plus, Top Ten foam rarely breaks down, so I think it'll be cool.
    Once my Title gels come in, I'm pretty sure I'll have a 4 glove rotation.
    It's the sweat that really breaks gloves down and gloves last a lot longer if they get more time to dry between uses.

It's time to start a new period in weight lifting, I feel.
    I'd been doing the last one about 8 weeks.
    Helped my endurance but I'm starting to dread the workouts - they're getting a little stale.

[I'll edit this post later with the plan I come up with]
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Last night I ended up putting neosporin on my cut up feet and calling it a night.
    Just walking my dog was agonizing.
    Then, the little git ate my dirty rice.

My Top Ten gloves came in last night, I'm really anxious to try them out.
    They're "sparring gloves" but I gotta break them in for the next week or two.
    Plus, Top Ten foam rarely breaks down, so I think it'll be cool.
    Once my Title gels come in, I'm pretty sure I'll have a 4 glove rotation.
    It's the sweat that really breaks gloves down and gloves last a lot longer if they get more time to dry between uses.

It's time to start a new period in weight lifting, I feel.
    I'd been doing the last one about 8 weeks.
    Helped my endurance but I'm starting to dread the workouts - they're getting a little stale.

[I'll edit this post later with the plan I come up with]
    Speaking of gloves, I did 8 rounds of HIIT with 16oz gloves the other day, wow, they made a huge difference let me tell you !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Speaking of gloves, I did 8 rounds of HIIT with 16oz gloves the other day, wow, they made a huge difference let me tell you !
    Yeah, my Top Tens are 16 oz, have the padding of a 16oz, but are streamlined and look more like 10s or 12s. They're awesome. Sparring they're going to make my defense so tight!
    I usually use my Ringside IMF 16oz gloves, but will occasionally switch things up with my 12oz Grant superbag gloves (which are kinda skimpy on the knuckle protection).

Okay, my new workout phase.
    Each workout will be done once a week.
    The goal of this workout is to go heavy and put on some strength, with more rest between sets.
    Looking at it, I was probably going too heavy on my earlier phase.
    My ultimate goal may be to lose weight, but I want to make sure I'm not losing too much strength while doing it.

Workout A:
    Barbell Squat: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Lying Leg Curl: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Dumbbell Bench: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Cable External Rotation: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Incline Reverse Crunch: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Weighted Russian Twist (med ball twist situp): 2 sets of 5 to 6 each side

Workout B:
    Barbell Deadlift: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    Dumbbell Lunge: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps each leg
    Assisted Chinup: 2 sets 8 to 10 reps (or 2 sets x max reps if doing > 5 full chinups)
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps
    One-arm Row w/Elbow Out: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps each side
    Back Extension (roman chair?): 2 sets of 10 to 12 reps
    Lateral Bridge: 2 sets of 4 or 5 reps each side
    Swiss Ball Crunch: 2 sets of 8 to 10 reps.

Cardio
    I'm going back to sprint sessions on the elliptical crosstrainer: 2 minute warm up followed by 10~11 minute active and 2 minute rest.
    This will be at the beginning of the workout so i can get the most out of the sprints.

Wednesday
    Today was a good workout, but painful.
    My feet got cut up at Sea World and I made the mistake of wearing the same shoes that cut them up, thinking it was only because they were wet- well the plastic ankle support inside of the shoe has bent inward making them almost unwearable.
    FYI- these are the expensive new balance joints.
    On top of that my hand's cut up - on the inside from my dog's leash, on the outside from a fingernail that tore in half

Skipped cardio coz of my choice in footware and lifted weights first:

Barbell Squat: 135 x 10, 185 x 10; 185 was a lil tough but not bad
    Lying Leg Curl: 110 x 10, 155 x 10; first set too easy
    Dumbbell Bench: 80lb dbells x 10, x 2 - hurt myself on this one, will explain later
    Incline Reverse Crunch: 2 sets of 10 reps
    Cable External Rotation: 20lbs x 10 x 2 x each arm - this was murder
    Weighted Russian Twist (med ball twist situp): 2 sets of 5 to 6 each side using medball w/handles

The injury i got on the dbell bench was due to the only open bench being a decline bench.
    Had a hard time getting on the bench with the weight- no spot.
    First time, some a-hole nearly clipped my arm - mighta clipped the weight, and i kinda lost it for a sec- this mighta been when i hurt it. Second set I tried doing it differently and my left arm lost it again worse - so i picked them back up & sat the other way on the bench, making it an incline. Right now my shoulder is really sore about an inch outside that bump on the top (trap insertion point? scapula?).

Got some protein afterward then went to muay thai.

Didn't jump rope at muay thai coz my feet were still hurting - just did taichi and some stretching before hitting the heavybag with my new Top Ten gloves- which were murder to break in due to the aforementioned hand issues.

Did a lot of sparring (like 6 to 8, 2min rounds nonstop) and got hit a lot - resigned myself to just getting beat up. I guess I did pretty well; but I was mostly just thinking about survival.
    First few rounds were boxing, and eventhough my left shoulder was hurting, i managed to land it a couple times alright - if it was in top form i would've been able to defend myself better; took some shots i didn't have to.

My new, sleek, gloves didn't help my defense any- which is actually a good thing. They're 16 ounce gloves but less bulky than 12oz gloves, with no wasted padding; all of it residing on the knuckles. I got hit a lot but in the long run it'll help me get better. Oh yah, I also love my new-ish Title MMA slip on shinguards, they're even better than my windy's.

Finished up with a lot of technique work with a young kid and tried to stretch a minute or two before going home.

Pretty good day I guess, we'll see what tomorrow brings - want to try to hit up the night time class at 11 and I have to be somewhere saturday so I gotta get whatever workout I can get in.
    Hope my shoulder feels better tomorrow; though it could very well be serious.

went back to muay thai thursday
    did my 20 min jump rope and all my calisthenics before class officially started
    did about 25 min of heavybag straight
    then i started holding mitts for a newer guy
    then i had to work the jab for about 10 min while he worked his defense
    in the second hour i sparred a relatively new guy
    someone i'd worked with a week or two earlier
    i tried to do the same slow sparring we did before
    but he didn't want to do slow, 1 and 2 step sparring
    he started turning it up - trying to run me over with combos
    then i started turning it up
    i turned it up just enough so that we were both scoring - he wasn't an easy spar
    figured i was just more tired than i thought i was
    turns out the relatively new guy's been working out down at the gym for 7 or 8 hours a day
    must be nice not to have a fulltime job
    he's become a beast in a very short time
    it's like people going to camp in thailand i guess.
    boney dude, i got all banged up - didn't think i'd need shin guards.
    happy he's getting so much better.

http://www.muaythaistuff.com/product...m-lp182-black/

I got a pair the other day with some dragons on them...can't get away from the whole asian thing ya know.

I'm going to invest in some thai pads and a body protector so I can get with a partner to work on the stuff. I don't particularly like Phet's equipment and he won't order this stuff because he won't be able to sell most of it to the people there.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I love the gear on that site but the shipping fees are just too outrageous.

I don't like the black foam (top contender?) thai pads Phet's got, but the windy ones are nice from a weight & shock absorption standpoint.
    The buckles on the Windy thai pads aren't great to deal with and some people complain of the straps digging into their arms.
    I have a pair of title thai pads that are just re-badged twins, with velcro enclosure.
    I'll let u try them out sometime if you want.
    Those are my 2nd favorite after the windys.

I have a body protector that i leave up at the gym - the big silver title one.
    I should be getting a belly pad sometime this summer.

My legs are total hamburger today.
    I feel like roadkill.
    Don't mind lifting weights, but i doubt i'll be able to kick anything.

Friday has been one of those days where you give everything you got but everything you got still feels really inadequate.

Still hurting from everything that's happened in the past week (especially my shoulder); I didn't want to go today, but i did anyway.

started off at gold's

5 minute warm up on the elliptical, i just didn't have the sprints in me and really didn't have time.

Barbell Deadlift: 2 sets of 10 reps (135lbs, 185lbs)
    Dumbbell Lunge: 2 sets of 10 reps each leg (45lb dbells each time)
    Assisted Chinup: 2 sets 10 reps (14 plates/76lb assist, 13 plates/72lb assist)
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press: 2 sets of 10 reps (90lbs, 100lbs)
    One-arm Row w/Elbow Out: 2 sets of 10 reps each side (80lb dbells each time)
    Back Extension: 2 sets of 10 reps
    Lateral Bridge: 2 sets of 5 reps each side
    Swiss Ball Crunch: 2 sets of 10 reps.

Then I went to muay thai early.
    Started off with "combat conditioning" type stuff, wearing the 23lb weight vest.
    10 left-handed slam ball slams
    10 right-handed slam ball slams
    10 suicides up and down the ramp
    20 two-handed slam ball slams
    20 one-handed twisting slams x each hand
    20 squats with vest and medball
    10 laps down and back with vest, carrying 45lb to the chest (the sand bag was awol today)

after that i did some stretches
    then a lil heavybag work
    some handpad stuff for about 4 rounds each
    asked ku phet if i could skip out on sparring coz i was banged up from this week
    felt like a wuss for doing it
    spent at least 30 min on the heavybag, doing 2 min rounds before having to call it a day.
    My tank was pretty much empty.

Had a gatorade and a protein shake between workouts.
    Downed a muscle milk and a lot of water once i finished up

my shoulder was killing me
    i didn't kick anything coz my shins are hamburger
    apologized a bit for not sparring like everyone else
    felt kinda down
    guess it mighta been me crashing

Think I left the 2 shirts i sweat through up there.

I've been thinking about it since Friday and I'm going to take some time off.
    I've got a lot of nagging injuries, some of them may be serious.
    It's really hard to sleep with this level of pain.
    I don't need to be 100% to work out, but there's a limit on what you can push through - especially if you start experiencing diminishing returns.
    My shoulder particularly worries me.
    While my shins (actually a contusion in the muscle) are taking an extra long time to heal - i'm still pretty confident they will heal given enough time.
    I've even still got those cuts on my feet from the other week which haven't healed up yet either.
    Thinking I'll get back in the gym on monday - sooner if things start healing quicker.

Friday has been one of those days where you give everything you got but everything you got still feels really inadequate.

Still hurting from everything that's happened in the past week (especially my shoulder); I didn't want to go today, but i did anyway.

started off at gold's

5 minute warm up on the elliptical, i just didn't have the sprints in me and really didn't have time.

Barbell Deadlift: 2 sets of 10 reps (135lbs, 185lbs)
    Dumbbell Lunge: 2 sets of 10 reps each leg (45lb dbells each time)
    Assisted Chinup: 2 sets 10 reps (14 plates/76lb assist, 13 plates/72lb assist)
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press: 2 sets of 10 reps (90lbs, 100lbs)
    One-arm Row w/Elbow Out: 2 sets of 10 reps each side (80lb dbells each time)
    Back Extension: 2 sets of 10 reps
    Lateral Bridge: 2 sets of 5 reps each side
    Swiss Ball Crunch: 2 sets of 10 reps.

Then I went to muay thai early.
    Started off with "combat conditioning" type stuff, wearing the 23lb weight vest.
    10 left-handed slam ball slams
    10 right-handed slam ball slams
    20 two-handed slam ball slams
    20 one-handed twisting slams x each hand
    20 squats with vest and medball
    10 laps down and back with vest, carrying 45lb to the chest (the sand bag was awol today)

after that i did some stretches
    then a lil heavybag work
    some handpad stuff for about 4 rounds each
    asked ku phet if i could skip out on sparring coz i was banged up from this week
    felt like a wuss for doing it
    spent at least 30 min on the heavybag, doing 2 min rounds before having to call it a day.
    My tank was pretty much empty.

Had a gatorade and a protein shake between workouts.
    Downed a muscle milk and a lot of water once i finished up
    very nice.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

we had a foo foo class you would like today in place of zumba - they had a demo of another dance class... but the first half of it is based on drumming. One of our trainers is japanese, and I guess she knows some drummers or something, I'll ask her. The second half of the class was break dancing, well, poppin and hip hop, mostly.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Sweet.
    I wonder if it was Eisa, you guys do have a good group there in Indiana:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UicvUCx7tNY
    I haven't done it in a while.
    I miss it a lot.
    There's a group here that does it but they're all old ladies.

I ended up working out tonight.
    Coworker wants me to teach him muay thai & fix his boxing.
    He's a buff 5'7 170, mostly natural - good genetics, wrestled & baseball in school, lifts once in a blue moon.
    I held pads for him and did a couple rounds of kicks with him on the heavybag after I showed him the basics.
    Cleaned up his boxing a little- he's got a clubbing right hand like you wouldn't believe from the baseball.

We did some lifting afterwards

Superset:
    3 clean & press + 3 cleans
    4 times through, 135lbs; first set did 7 cleans after 3 clean & press.

Superset 2:
    calf raises on leg press sled (90lbs each side)
    swiss ball crunches
    4 times through, did between 10 and 20 reps each exercise - wasn't really paying attention.

Kind of a light workout, surprised how well my shoulder held up. My final set on the superset of clean & press was my best; it was just a matter of getting comfortable with the form & exploding from the bottom.