Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still hate running....

Still hate running....

I can't find my last blog. Probably because I hadn't posted and it's burried someplace in the basement.

So! I am not training anything spacific right now. I tried to get back into wrestling before Easter, but my ex is back to his stalking BS and called the cops on me for abandoment.... for leaving my kids at grandma's house while I went to open mat. Now my 6-year-old is terrified of cops. So I don't try to go to open mat anymore. Instead, I started combing Craigslist for a grappling dummy.

I did find several listings for reel style human powered lawn mowers. I am not sue if I'm going to buy one of the used ones on there or just go down to Lowes and buy a brand-new one, but I definantly like that idea. The lawn does need cut and I have a big, big back yard. I also blew 3 lawn mowers last summer running over small cast-iron cars, large rocks, and odly enough, a log. Seems to me a non-moterized lawn mower might be more apropriate the wooping little bums for playing in the back yard.

I also was given a set of those "navy seal perfect push-up" things. I like them, nothing to write home about, but they are much easier on the wrists. that, my jumprope, and my ab wheel are about the only formal exersizes I am doing. Still working my forms from time to time and walking the mutts every morning. back to playing doggie soccar with them in the evenings. but not really doing much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Not sure if you are talking about running, but I found for me the key is getting over that first mile or two. After that I hit autopilot and generally go for 5-6 miles, though my current max is 13.3 miles (The half marathon was over. Had to stop!).

I think a lot of the starting has to do with the pain and general unpleasantness of adapting to the movement of running, the expansion of the lungs, and the body's general dislike of anything that hints of high intensity cardio.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

If Becca's anything like me, I doubt it has anything to do with not wanting to sweat or breathe hard. For a lot of people running is very hard on the hips, knees, ankles, and back. I used to feel real guilty about not running more, and sometimes I still do. But then I see guys like Frank Shamrock and a few other pros out there that aren't all that big on it and don't feel so bad.

We all have to make decisions in our training about balancing doing the most we can and yet still being able to work out on a regular basis. For some folks, that means no hard sparring, for other folks, that means taking it easy on the jump rope, still other folks may find that their performance drops too much on a calorie or carbohydrate restricted diet. In my case, trying to jog more than a mile even a few times a week really puts my body in a compromised position.

EDIT: I just want to say I LOVE this thread:
    http://message.axkickboxing.com/inde...60623317.78557
    It's got a lot of good training info and it makes sense to me, almost 2 years after reading it the first time.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 04-08-2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added link
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

i like running just not the abuse my knees etc. take. as a side note, anyone see the story about the massai(spelling???) warriors running in a marathon on london. they are gonna run it in traditional dress carrying their spears and shields wearing sandal/shoes made from car tires. and they dont plan on drinking any water durin the whole thing. its to raise money for a water well in their home town in africa.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

use an elliptical instead. running is not natural. we CAN run, but we don't do it in a natural sense without someone chasing us, or we are trying to catch something.

as a form of exercise, it is antiquted and not very effective.

If you want to lose weight, diet and walking will be much more effective.

If you want to gain strength and endurace supersets will develop that quicker tahn running.

people love running because it is easy. It is ineffecient, but anyone can do it barring a handicapped and you don't have to look slick doing it, you just gotta locomote.

many runners, if not the greater majority of them have poor form, are not concscious of their continued poor form and encounter injuries. there are whole magazines dedicated to the act of running and the maintenance and treatment of injuries that are associated with running and so on.

one of the greatest proponents of jogging and running, James Fixx dropped dead from heart failure...while running.

simply put, it is very stressful on your body and not actually a very good way of getting exercise. Runners will hate me for that, but oh well, they may continue to jeopardize their skeletal structure and their cardio vascular system all they like.

swimming is better and more efficient for all the benefits people wish to derive from running.

to put it in the simplest terms of effectiveness for weight loss, running is the least useful method. You will have to run 64 km to trim 1 lb of fat in one go. This is ineffecient no matter how you slice it.

breathing burns calories. If you have effective qigongs, you can actually derive more benefit with less effort from this practice than from running.

end my rant against running. :-)

supersets! do those instead!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

im not a fan of running either, but using hiit meathods for sprinting is supposed to be extremely effective.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
    where's my beer?

That sounds doable. I can handle 4 minutes then build it up. thanks GDA! And Porkchop is quite right. I have no problem working hard, but running kills my hips and ankles. I'd rather pet a hedghog. Elipticals are borring; so are most spinning exorsizes. I just got my bike broke out of winter storage, so I'll go back to that, as I do spring/summer every year. I think GDA's HIIT will get me back in shape faster than just bike riding due to the inevitable "saddle sore" issue.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Be careful with HIIT.
    You have to ge in relative good shape to use HIIT, it is HIGH INTENSITY after all.
    Warm up well and cool down well.
    The vast majority of HIIT data that is used to advocate HIIT is from true HIIT methods such as Tabata.
    It is total "balls to the wall" training and NOT for everyone.
    Typical HIIT is great and is much better than the moderate crap, but don't expect the same results as true HIIT.
    Be forewarned.
    And yes, I am a HUGE proponent of HIIT, I have some awesome HIIT workouts for MA and the heavy bag.
    None of them are for anyone that isn't ready to puke.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Dont run anymore but I jump rope and go up stairs fast...

Do not like the idea of yacking much.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And yes, I am a HUGE proponent of HIIT, I have some awesome HIIT workouts for MA and the heavy bag.
    None of them are for anyone that isn't ready to puke.
    share share?
    where's my beer?

Kettlebell swings for time beat most anything else for cardio. And you can melt away fat without the dishonour of dieting or aerobics.
    A unique snowflake

My type of running.....

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Kettlebell swings for time beat most anything else for cardio. And you can melt away fat without the dishonour of dieting or aerobics.
    QFT

I'd almost forgotten how kettle bells for time feels...
    You set down the weight feeling almost fine, but you notice that instead of your heart rate returning to normal, it just keeps increasing....and increasing.... 20 seconds after you've stopped you feel like you're sprinting in the olympics eventhough you're not moving....
    *sigh* good times
    need to get back into that again...
    gotta find some kettlebells local, don't feel like buying another set...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    share share?
    Hmmm, where to start?

First off you have to do a couple of rounds ( 3 min w/30 sec breaks) to warm up at a moderate pace, fully body, kicks, punches, knees and elbows.
    Then you put your timer ( and you MUST have a timer for HIIT) on one of the following:

For power oriented HIIT:
    1 min rounds with 20 second break ( though you can start with 1 min w/30 sec to get used to it).
    And you makes sure you do a min of 6 rounds, perferably 8.
    Round 1 - hook punches - full force, full speed, move around the back and rill it as fast and as hard as you can in 3 strike combos.
    Round 2- Round kicks, alternate legs, full force singles, low. mediium and high.
    Round 3 - elbows
    Round 4- knees
    Round 5- punches and kicks
    Round 6 knees and elbows
    Round 7 and 8 full body.

Now, you MUST drill as fast and as hard as you can for short burst.
    As with all HIIT, if you can talk at the end of any round you are going TOO EASY !

Speed oriented HIIT, same as above- 6-8 rounds, this time 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off ( can start with 20 on and 30 off to get used to it)
    You must hit that bag as fast as you can NON-STOP for the time limit.
    Full speed NON-STOP !, you basically stay in the same place and let it fly !

Round 1 - straight punches
    Round 2- round kicks ( altrernat 5 kicks per leg - 5 right kick, 5 left kicks - MT drill)
    Round 3- hooks
    Round 4- knees
    Round 5 - elbows
    round 6- round kicks agian
    Round 7- straight punches
    Round 8- hooks and low round kicks

Again, if at the end of this you don't puke, you are going too easy.

HIIT is NOT moderate, it is NOT easy, it is you pushing and going beyond your max threshold, hence it is NOT for everyone.

Finish with 1 or 2 round of moderate kick and punching the bag.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

dunno about HIIT training specifically, but bag work in a regular way is astonishingly aerobic in nature and quite draining.

I do timed rounds with break downs and combos, varied force application, footwork bumping, guarding, ranging, etc etc.

probably one of the best things to do.

running in the 'zone' can be problematic because it is easy to fall into bed kinetics and create real problems in the long term with joints and tendon heads etc.

I gotta stick with running not being a desirable method of exercise. although, sprints,short period fartleks, plyometrics and other heavy leg stuff is good good good.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 04-16-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.