Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still hate running....

Bag work is one of the best cardio activities anyone can do, its very sport specfic though, running on a good tredmill that absorbs shock is quiet good, especially HIIT sprints, thing is, we all run, might as well get in good shape to do it
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I don't run. I started training so I wouldn't have to.

I even got out of the Marines in part over my extreme dislike of running. Now bike riding is great, but I can't get myself to do it if I know it might rain or snow. Heck, it's been trying to snow all afternoon here. But HIIT, as I think I understand it, can be done inside, yes?

So, I have a set of horribly steep steps leading to my basement. Would sprinting to the top of them then walking back down them count as one rep? Or would going up and down them then doing something else work better? What about jump roping?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    hahah i tell people the same thing
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

landing in my basement is too short, only 12 steps, to make it worth it. I have been using the back stair well at work, with is 36 steps. I run up the steps, not missing any, then back down them backwards, then up them skipping every other step the walk slowly down them. This being one set, and my legs are burning good by the end of one.

I still can only do 2 sets so far with a about a 2 minute brake in between. Don't know how long I'll be able to do this before I gotta find a bigger set of steps, but it seems to be working for now.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I even got out of the Marines in part over my extreme dislike of running. Now bike riding is great, but I can't get myself to do it if I know it might rain or snow. Heck, it's been trying to snow all afternoon here. But HIIT, as I think I understand it, can be done inside, yes?

So, I have a set of horribly steep steps leading to my basement. Would sprinting to the top of them then walking back down them count as one rep? Or would going up and down them then doing something else work better? What about jump roping?
    HIIT can be done anywhere with almost any activity that will make you break a sweat.
    Full body activities being better for obvious reasons.
    Step climbing (stairs) is ok, the faster you do it the better, squatting jumping steps is awesome, if you can do them safely.
    Steps with dumbells is more intense.
    The point being you have to do it as fast and as hard as you can for "X" amount of time.
    No equipment?
    Burpees are great, see youtube to get an idea how they are done.

Basically, the hard the activity and more muscles involved, the better ( and shorter) the HIIT.

Squat jumping steps????

So HITT is 1 rep of all you got, then catch your breath and do it again?

Squat jumping steps????

So HITT is 1 rep of all you got, then catch your breath and do it again?
    1 "rep" is not how I would describe it.
    More like as many reps as you can in a given time period, "balls to the wall", pardon my french.
    You don't catch your breath, there is a 10 second break min and a 30 sec max, depending on how long each "round" is, which of course is dictated by how intense you go at it.

And squat jumps are when you squat down, hand on your head, and jump from one step to the other by squatting and jumping each step.
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 04-22-2008 at 12:10 PM.

So twice up and down the steps is fine for 1 rep, but I need to do it as fast as I can, then do as many reps as I can?

So twice up and down the steps is fine for 1 rep, but I need to do it as fast as I can, then do as many reps as I can?
    If you are gonna run steps and there are not a lot of them, I suggest you use some hand weights to get your upper body in on it too and maybe even doing push-ups at the top and bottom, I would run them up and down as fast as you can for 1 min and then take a 30 sec break, that is 1 round, do that for 6 rounds and see how you feel.
    The frist couple may seem easy, but the last ones will be very hard.
    Remember, if it is easy, don't add time, go faster, you must always strive for faster, not longer, that is the core of HIIT.
    Intensity.
    After a week switch to 45 sec wtih 20 sec break for 6 rounds, then after another week, 20 sec with 10 sec break for 8 rounds this time.
    Remember the dumbells ( if you are adding push-ups, you might run out of time so don't add them if you don't have the time).
    Crucial is to go as fast as you can.

Careful not to fall on your face.

Thumbs up

Cool; I'll try that starting today. Thanks!

Cool; I'll try that starting today. Thanks!
    Warm up for a good 5-10 min, and cool down too, don't forget the cool down.
    And never go full out the first time you do HIIT, it takes a few sessions to get your body used to it.

Aw Sh!t; I read that tip the next day. I feel like I just did a full seminar on 5* and only worked out for about 30 minutes. On the other hand, it's really easy to blow past old bench marks when you're pumped.

Aw Sh!t; I read that tip the next day. I feel like I just did a full seminar on 5* and only worked out for about 30 minutes. On the other hand, it's really easy to blow past old bench marks when you're pumped.
    *shakes head*
    Trying to jump before you can walk...*tsk*, *tsk*

I'll rest for a few days then try it a bit lower intensity on Saturday. It was actually kind of fun in a twisted masochistic way.

OK, did it again today as yesterday couldn't decide if it wanted to snow or not and since weekends mean using outdoor stairs....

The warm-up consisted of *gasp* a jog up to the steps. I finally got to try the Asics my kung fu sister said were the best for running while actually running. Well, sort of running. Then running up the steps as fast as i could, then another short jog to a hill, then running as fast as i could up the hill. Then, because I hate running the back side of that circut, I turned around and ran back down the hill, slow jogged back to the stairs and squat jumped rather ungainly back down them, as my legs were like marshmellow fluf by that point. And now my knees are aching, but interestingly my hips are not too bad. Tonight sounds like a good night to go sit in the jacuzi tub for an hour or so.