Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wesley Snipes

Chang Style Novice Guest

Wesley Snipes

I just caught "The Art of War" on video, and liked it a lot more than I expected. Between this movie and "Blade," I'm compelled to ask.

What is Wesley Snipes ma training?

jackiech Guest

I am not sure

I have hear, that Wesley snipes train mixed martial arts. But thease martial arts are not goods.it's martial art which is using in the films

Design Sifu Guest

Wesley

I seem to recall he was doing TKD mixed of course with HollywoodFU.
    :p

samurai Guest

Snipes

Wesley Snipes is a Fourth Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. He is a very good martial artist and works hard to stay that way. He is not just using Hollywood-fu in his movies.
    -Jeremy Bays

Grappling-Insanity Guest

LoL

Of course he's using hollywoodFU in those movies. Did you see all those high kicks, and blantenly non effective moves. Those arnt moves he'd use on the street buddy....

Tru-MA Guest
    I read in a martial arts book that Wesley Snipes trained in Capoeria also. Anyone want to confirm or deny? I was a bit skeptical considering that I didn't see him bust out any break dancing-like moves :)

Daedalus Guest

Snipes Promoted!

Wesley Snipes was promoted not long ago (around the same time Blade came out). He is now a fifth degree black belt.

He was promoted by Jhoon Rhee, Chan Poi, Dennis Brown, and a couple of others. What his official style is, I don't know.

Kristoffer Guest
    I think he SUCK.
    But he is cool thought. :)

~K~
    "maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

Wesley Snipes Martial Arts?!

anone know what he practices? I know he is big into the Japanese arts.
    I was watching Blade II the other night, the fight at the end, there is something very cool about the choreography. Not eveyr shot was a strike but it seemed like they were doing alot of feinting or something there.....

There's a commentary track on the Blade 2 DVD where he talks a lot about the fight choreography. I remember him specifically mentioning boxing, pencat silat, and kempo, but there's probably more. If you get a chance to listen to the track, I highly recommend it. The commentary track from the director is good, too.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I think the art he has trained in the longest is Shotokan. He has since dabbled in other arts, but has legitimate dan grading in karate.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.

as far as i know he has trained in aiki jujistu as well as a few others kinda JKD ish...

i was glad to see blade 2 coz it has some real scrapping in it compared ot all the wire work of the time the movie was released

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Good Idea CSN, I may have to sit down and watch it tonight with directors commentary, etc...

You guys know what I am talking about though right? Where it almost looks lie they are patting each other down then hitting each other? A good example is when he goes to break the arm of Novak, instead of doing some quick grab and break he sort of sets it up first....

Snipes holds a legitimate (as far as I'm aware) black belt in Shotokan, and has trained Capoeira with some degree of dedication.

He's also studied stuff like boxing and silat and such, but in the "actor fight scene study" sense of "study." I don't know one way or the other if he's gone into any of them in more depth.

African Tiger? You wanna jump in on this? I'm sure you know better than any of us...

I heard an interview with him on the radio aroung the time that Blade 2 came out, and when he was asked about martial arts, the only two he mentioned were karate and capoeira
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter