Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on TCMA in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Training method > style
    This is partially true, but not 100%.

IMO, no one is 'tougher' than boxers. But you put a good, tough boxer in an MMA fight he will lose more often than not. Although training methods are quite important, you need to train in effective styles for striking, grappling, and the clinch.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I hate tournament fighting. You can't rip out their eyes, which is normally the best way to win a fight. I promise you... take an eye...just one, and victory is yours.
    Kinda like....
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01a.html
    March 2002:
    Finally, the boy stuck four fingers in the shark's eye, gouged the eye out, and the shark released him, Punua said.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    This is partially true, but not 100%.

IMO, no one is 'tougher' than boxers. But you put a good, tough boxer in an MMA fight he will lose more often than not. Although training methods are quite important, you need to train in effective styles for striking, grappling, and the clinch.
    MMA is not a style, it's a rule set. One must always compensate for rule-sets.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Sharks aren't immune to the eye rule.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Sharks aren't immune to the eye rule.
    So since sharks aren't immune to the eye rule...and since sharks (or their ancestors) have been around since the dinosaurs right? So they must be pretty bad @$$...So with the issues brought up in this thread:
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=50632

Is it possible to say maybe our ancestors knew this? And went on an eye gouging spree and ended the age of the dinos? And if some nut job scientist makes a real life Jurassic Park and they get loose to the threat of common man...we may take up arms....and phalanges...to defend ourselves from the onslought of ravenous reptiles?

Training method > style

When did the training method become disconnected from the style ? Surely a mistake or the result of a lack of realistic sparring ?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianUK View Post
    When did the training method become disconnected from the style ? Surely a mistake or the result of a lack of realistic sparring ?
    Are you suggesting that every gym/school within a given style trains the same?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

So since sharks aren't immune to the eye rule...and since sharks (or their ancestors) have been around since the dinosaurs right? So they must be pretty bad @$$...So with the issues brought up in this thread:
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=50632

Is it possible to say maybe our ancestors knew this? And went on an eye gouging spree and ended the age of the dinos? And if some nut job scientist makes a real life Jurassic Park and they get loose to the threat of common man...we may take up arms....and phalanges...to defend ourselves from the onslought of ravenous reptiles?
    If by some miracle you can get around the razor sharp teeth, sword-length claws, and remarkable physical prowess, you can disable a dino with an eye gouge. At least I'm pretty sure. If not, at least you gave it your best shot, right?? It sucks being built like a twinkie in a land of predators, and the eye gouge may be your only hope.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

If by some miracle you can get around the razor sharp teeth, sword-length claws, and remarkable physical prowess, you can disable a dino with an eye gouge. At least I'm pretty sure. If not, at least you gave it your best shot, right?? It sucks being built like a twinkie in a land of predators, and the eye gouge may be your only hope.
    Surely there must be some way to use modern technology to our advantage right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interceptor_body_armor

Where is Alex Tao? Doesn't he have the super deadly 2 finger secret sword technique?

Surely there must be some way to use modern technology to our advantage right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interceptor_body_armor

Where is Alex Tao? Doesn't he have the super deadly 2 finger secret sword technique?
    Does nothing to protect you from dismemberment...

Honestly, even if I had a locked and loaded M-16A2, I would still NOT engage a velociraptor unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

MMA is not a style, it's a rule set. One must always compensate for rule-sets.
    This is the truth. The best MMAists maximize the rule set. If what they currently do in the ring works, why change it other than to keep getting better at the same methods. There is a whole world of techniques not seen in MMA events, not because they are not effective, just because there is no need to add to what they are doing, which is complicated as it is. There is already a whole world of techniques within the ruleset.

You start seeing new things in MMA when one person starts making them work and others realize that it might not be so "low percentage." That low percentage can be attributed to low priority in training. Things evolve, but only if the ruleset allows.

Make headbutts legal and the whole ground game changes to compensate. That is not a "too deadly" position, it is recognition of the rules.

The blackbelt is going to do what works for him, what wins matches. It's risky to try incorporating things others don't do-nobody wants to invest in loss.

Does nothing to protect you from dismemberment...

Honestly, even if I had a locked and loaded M-16A2, I would still NOT engage a velociraptor unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.
    You're absolutely right...we need full body protection

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles...e_id=218392807

IMHO, TCMA are actually like mixed martial arts its just that the scope of what they would incorporate was bigger....weapons, philosophy, medical training....whatever was useful.

It was designed to make you successful in the "big ring" of life...self-defense or whatever.

However, as hand to hand combat became increasing irrelevant. As scientific based medical treatment is readily available, at least more available than in ancient china.....the scope of traditional martial arts training remains is too big.

Add to that the fact that most people don't have time to train all the "modalities" of traditional martial arts to a high level.

The scope of MMA is much smaller. Its applied to a specific situation with a certain ruleset. Its mixed in the sense that incorporates what can help you win in the context of the ring but that's it. That it allows it to be more focused and develop certain skills to a higher level.

My basic point is that in any discussion of MMA and TCMA you need to look at the scope of issues that these methodologies are trying to address.

MMA is smaller in scope, TCMA is larger in scope.

They can be complementary though, provided you have the time to do all that training. Most people don't, so they have to choose.

EO

Bah, you guys are obivously ignorant of the Dim Mak points that render all dinosaurs helpless.
    Besides, its not sharks you have to look out for, its dolphins !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Bah, you guys are obivously ignorant of the Dim Mak points that render all dinosaurs helpless.
    Besides, its not sharks you have to look out for, its dolphins !!
    But but but....what if it spreads???
    http://www.gaydinosaur.com/

Remember its not just gay...its disco fresh!