Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaolin staff Bear

Lokhupkuen....

Gene,

I think the only one that could answer the question of Kung Fu Panda vs Shaolin Moon Bear is Lokhupkuen.

I believe he is the only authority with the requisite skill, however, he might be a bit biased, but, he is a man of honour....

Unfortunately, we know that the American Grizzly MMA is just puss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkDGZVyUkOQ
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Yeah, but does he know the applications?

Besides it's probably fake because no lineage is listed. Probably learned from video. :-)

When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Bear Staff

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That was absolutely amazing...I've never seen anyone else trim their toe nails with their teeth while doing a staff form...and he doesn't even have thumbs!

lol i know, man i wish my zoo was that cool
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

This is unBEARable

Another staff wielding bear?! These bears are up to something.

Kung Fu Panda, Russian style: Video of Siberian 'pole bear'
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poEwkIPKn3w

I'm telling you reincarnation is real.

It looks like he's trying to spin it around his neck.
    how cute

the baby bear is having all the fun.

if the staff end hits the ground left and right

it is called dian gun or pointed staff.

if the staff swings around the neck/back, it is called yun gun or cloud staff

if the staff swings around chest/waist, it is called sao gun or sweep staff

if----

Kung Fu Bear

It looks like this bear was probably a circus rescue(?).

Return of the Shaolin staff Bear

This thread first started in 2007 and now it's trending again. Back in the days of broadcast TV, we called these 'reruns'.

'Kung fu bear' shows off his pole-spinning skills to the delight of young zoo visitors in Japan
    Bear, named Claude, was filmed twirling the stick at Asa Zoological Park in Japan
    Four-minute clip also showed the mammal trying the move while sucking its paw
    It is at least the fourth time that the talented animal has been filmed practising
    By NICK ENOCH FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 14:12 EST, 18 November 2019 | UPDATED: 16:04 EST, 18 November 2019

This is the adorable moment a 'kung fu' bear appears to practice its moves at a Japanese zoo.

Footage also shows the animal, believed to be a moon bear due to its white patch of fur, twirling the stick while sucking its paw in moves reminiscent of Aiko at the Asa zoological park in Hiroshima.

It is at least the fourth time that the skilled mammal, named Claude, has been caught on camera practising its moves. The bear was also filmed twirling a stick in 2018, 2010 and 2008.

This is the adorable moment a 'kung fu' bear was filmed practising its moves at Asa zoological park in Hiroshima, Japan

The bear, believed to be a moon bear due to its white markings, was shown spinning the stick between its paws

The four-minute clip shows the bear, seated on a bank, spinning the stick between its paws to the delight of tourists.

At one point Claude starts sucking his paw while showing off the party trick.

He also drops the stick at one point, in the film taken on Wednesday, before picking it up with his jaws, and accidentally hits a wooden platform.

The other clips also show the amazing bear practising its 'kung fu' skills by twirling a stick while inside its cage.

Animal behaviour expert at the University of Colorado, Professor Marc Bekoff, told The Telegraph in 2010: 'This goes beyond normal animal usage of complex tools but then again you can train seals to balance balls on their noses and train elephants to paint with their trunks, so why not this.

The talented mammal, named Claude, was also shown lifting the stick above its head as it practised a unique version of Aiko Kung Fu

The bear also twirled the stick as it sucked on its paw inside the enclosure

'I would guess this is the result of extreme training and would find it hard to believe the animal taught itself this spontaneously.'

It is believed that the bear was rescued eighteen years ago after its mother was killed in a wood.

Moon bears can live for an estimated 25 years.

The Moon bear: Identified by a crescent-moon of white fur around its neck, this mammal prefers forested hills and mountains

An Asiastic black bear takes a break at Gopalpur zoo in India in November 2019

The Asiastic black bear, Himalayan bear, Tibetan bear or moon bear is identified by a crescent-moon shaped patch of white fur around its neck.

Native to Asia, east Asia and Japan, it has collected so many acronyms due to the enormous range of countries that it lives in.

This glossy black bear, where males can weigh between 220 to 440 pounds when fully grown, prefers to live high on forested hills and mountains.

It hides out at up to 11,800 feet during the summer months, gorging on insects, fruits, nuts, honey, small mammals, birds and even carrion, before heading down to 5,000 feet for the winter months.

The bear spends most of this time sleeping, but will also be seen hunting for food.

The animal's gallbladder and bile are used in traditional Chinese medicine, which has put pressure on its population in some places.

Mother bears, which can live for 25 years, could have their cubs with them for as long as three years.

Source: Britannica.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

3-section staff bear

Bear be uppin its game...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bear Spotted Training With Nun-Chucks!

This was the bear I was looking for. I saw it on facebook, but our dear forum here doesn't embed FB vids nicely. So I searched and found the 3-section bear first. The 3-section bear is more skilled.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

historical kungfu bears

Training Asiatic Black Bears to do things like juggle sticks and walk on balls was a longstanding tradition in China.
    Bear trainers often traveled with small circuses or made their living as street performers.
    Juggling the flying the fork is a long standing art of street performers that was adopted into many kungfu schools and still practiced today. Juggling the flying fork was also one of the standard acts for trained bears.
    Here's a couple photos one of a Chinese street performer with a performing bear, part of a small troop of performers in Vladivostok in 1919.
    Another from the late 18th or very early 19th century showing a bear performing with a flying fork.
    I should have another picture somewhere from the very early 20th century of a performing bear with a flying fork but I can't find that one in my disorganized files.
    Anyway training bears like that is a very old tradition in East Asia. You literally hear old accounts of trained stick or spear juggling bears in China going back at least to the middle of the first millennium AD if not before.
    The historical prevalence of it makes me wonder if bears aren't predisposed in some way to playing like that or to easily learning those skills?
    Attached Images Attached Images