Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gung Fu & Breakdancing

Gung Fu & Breakdancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELqdv...eature=related

almost looks CLF just his musculature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUd0J...eature=related

west coast funk dance stytles can't just be black and latino...there is something dragon style kung fu about them...chameleon like!.

I'm sure there is a cool history of the chinese community teaching gung fu to slaves and native reserves

Breaking is lindy hop revivalism with a charleston feel. although it is likely that in the course of things, a little kungfu move or two here and there got thrown in.

check out stuff on lindy hopping. you'll be surprised. You'll be even more surprised when you chack the date on that!. lol

i the meantime, my grandpa can dance better than your grandpa lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTg5V2oA_hY
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 04-13-2008 at 08:05 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    small wonder why. Breakdancing, which got its start in the early 70's in NYC and Bronx, NY actually did incorperate Chinese Martial Arts moves into its repetoire.
    Many of the inner city youths hung out at the triple feature movie houses on
    42nd street, which showed all the Shaw bros and Golden Harvest Kung Fu movies.
    Martial Arts was taught at youth centers in effort to get the kids off the streets.
    Capoeira was also taught at youth centers. Look at the uprock footwork. It's basically the Jinga. Downrock contains all the golden scissor sweeps etc.
    Not a coincidence. Neither is the similarity between uprock and "Jailhouse Rock." but that's another story.

I would agree that there is some connection. However as a former breaker
    in my younger days(early 80's NY) i would have to implore you guys to look
    a lil furhter back than black belt theatre. Chinese are not the only culture
    with fighting arts. Africans have had fighting arts for millenia as well.
    Capoeria and breaking, while not quite the same stem from an African root
    without a doubt. Capoeria--fighting disguised as dance to fool slave owners
    in Brazil. Don't think there was any black belt theatre back then.

Quote Originally Posted by jow yeroc View Post
    I think a lot of what you are talking about is lost to antiquity in regards to african martial arts with a hodge podge of revivalists sprouting up and co-opting mostly chinese martial arts or karate , slightly modifying it and calling it an african martial art. I mean youtube has a few of these guys who do this.

capoiera having been adjusted into a "dance" is no longer what one could consider anything more than a recreational dance pastime. I wouldn't put it in the category of useful or effective martial art, but I would change my mind if someone could demonstrate capoiera in a venue like a vale tudo match or something.

But seriously, breaking is born out of dance and has tiny insignificant almost not important to the whole "kungfu" in it. It is not dependent on cma moves or any of that. There are freaky dance moves that predate any breaking anyway. Jitterbug, jive, charlston, lindy hop as mentioned. these are all high energy dances requiring skill agilitya nd dexterity that you don't need for regular dance but that you would need for something like breaking.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I think a lot of what you are talking about is lost to antiquity in regards to african martial arts with a hodge podge of revivalists sprouting up and co-opting mostly chinese martial arts or karate , slightly modifying it and calling it an african martial art. I mean youtube has a few of these guys who do this.

capoiera having been adjusted into a "dance" is no longer what one could consider anything more than a recreational dance pastime. I wouldn't put it in the category of useful or effective martial art, but I would change my mind if someone could demonstrate capoiera in a venue like a vale tudo match or something.

But seriously, breaking is born out of dance and has tiny insignificant almost not important to the whole "kungfu" in it. It is not dependent on cma moves or any of that. There are freaky dance moves that predate any breaking anyway. Jitterbug, jive, charlston, lindy hop as mentioned. these are all high energy dances requiring skill agilitya nd dexterity that you don't need for regular dance but that you would need for something like breaking.
    The thing about true bboying is the fight aspect...breakdance is fruity if you don't know how to scrap...there is a definite shadowboxing element to it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gu3X7rf9i5A

Quote Originally Posted by jow yeroc View Post
    The rocksteady guys all said it came from the theatres they didn't know no brazilian kickstepping...it was all about Bruce Lee. Crazy Legs was high and fell off his chair and spun into a backspin inventing it... Crazy legs is all about the Monkey Gung Fu.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Leg3WJnttfc&feature=related

CL drops at 4:30 wearing white shoes turqouise pants and the blue hoodie...he takes off the shoes...straight Hop Ga footwork
    Last edited by diego; 04-14-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Ask and ye shall receive...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK_M-OxhjNA

There are a few types of Capoeira though and the angola stuff looks a heckuvalot more martial.

The handstand kick is also something in traditional Muay Thai that Saenchai is known to pull off in fights against lumpinee fighters; so flashy can work.

The lutra livre guys that always challenged the bjj guys in the early days of vale tudo came from a capoeira background.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    small wonder why. Breakdancing, which got its start in the early 70's in NYC and Bronx, NY actually did incorperate Chinese Martial Arts moves into its repetoire.
    Many of the inner city youths hung out at the triple feature movie houses on
    42nd street, which showed all the Shaw bros and Golden Harvest Kung Fu movies.
    Martial Arts was taught at youth centers in effort to get the kids off the streets.
    Capoeira was also taught at youth centers. Look at the uprock footwork. It's basically the Jinga. Downrock contains all the golden scissor sweeps etc.
    Not a coincidence. Neither is the similarity between uprock and "Jailhouse Rock." but that's another story.
    Got any links to the uprock Jailhouse link Ten Tigers?.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rv7TPvREf5g

Ken Swift is my favorite for uprock!.

I originally got involved in choy lee fut thru break dancing. I got approached at a party while dancing by one of my sifu's students, he asked me if I knew anything about kung fu. I told him I had a backround in wushu and the rest was history. I think we ducked out the back door and started showing each other our tornado kicks

when I was teaching a kids class at my ex's dance studio I showed the kids this vid to illustrate "dragon style" and get them stoked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdlOMJ9PGQM
    Last edited by Satori Science; 04-14-2008 at 07:18 AM.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post
    I originally got involved in choy lee fut thru break dancing. I got approached at a party while dancing by one of my sifu's students, he asked me if I knew anything about kung fu. I told him I had a backround in wushu and the rest was history. I think we ducked out the back door and started showing each other our tornado kicks

when I was teaching a kids class at my ex's dance studio I showed the kids this vid to illustrate "dragon style" and get them stoked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdlOMJ9PGQM
    youtube isn't loading for me right now...I like how you brought the thread full circle linking CLF to BBOYING

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK_M-OxhjNA

There are a few types of Capoeira though and the angola stuff looks a heckuvalot more martial.

The handstand kick is also something in traditional Muay Thai that Saenchai is known to pull off in fights against lumpinee fighters; so flashy can work.

The lutra livre guys that always challenged the bjj guys in the early days of vale tudo came from a capoeira background.

that looked like a typical mma match with typical mma rules. I didn't see any capoeira there angola or otherwise.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Uh, ok d.jamieson. I saw plenty capoeria. Agree to disagree i guess. It's all good tho.
    Pretty sure if you asked the fighter what he was doing he'd say kickin a s s
    with capoeria and vale tudo.

that looked like a typical mma match with typical mma rules. I didn't see any capoeira there angola or otherwise.
    There used to be a better highlight out there. TenTigers' clip is a little closer to what I was talking about. No, the guy doesn't spend 30 seconds in the jenga; but he does a huge number of spinning techniques and cartwheels and such; which you can see even in the clip i posted. I know the quality's horrible but try and sit through the whole thing.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting