Thread: Muay Thai in old age

Muay Thai in old age

For everyone who thinks Muay Thai will make you a cripple by the time you're 30...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MbIIjXKTd8
    To paraphrase the japanese:
    Started training at 15 years old
    Pro debut at 18 years old
    Champion at 25 years old
    Video says his current age...
    Still trains actively, loves it and will never quit...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I know and have trained with a few older MT fighters, not that old mind you.
    and they are just fine, no issues other than those of any other former pro athlete.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Never Too Old

Many of my teachers in Thailand are in their 60's and they are still extremely agile. True, some of them have been doing it forever but not all. I met 3 that started their training in their 30's and 40's. Muay Thai can be taught in many different contexts and still be as effective. I know I will be one of them for sure

Untarai

www.muaythaiokc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Untarai View Post
    Many of my teachers in Thailand are in their 60's and they are still extremely agile. True, some of them have been doing it forever but not all. I met 3 that started their training in their 30's and 40's. Muay Thai can be taught in many different contexts and still be as effective. I know I will be one of them for sure

Untarai

www.muaythaiokc.com
    How long have you been in OKC?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Well...I'm going to be 32 this year, and have been doing MT since I was in middle school. Nothing to be seen in terms of permanent injuries yet!

Of course...I wonder how the shins will old up when I'm 50...
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    How long have you been in OKC?
    Been living here 28 yrs now. Done lots of traveling but this is home.

Untarai

www.muaythaiokc.com