Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Back Ache

and when regular bridging is a piece of cake, put a 45-lb. plate on your belly and hold it there with your hands while bridging. makes a nice difference, and you'll feel it plenty in your bum, too.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Originally posted by Toby
    Squat. Deadlift.
    ^ Yes.

And Iron Bridge, where you lay with your feet on one chair and your head on another chair. This only works your back in a straightened position, tho, and is hard for most people, but it's a "traditional" kung fu exercise.

People seem to think that this works your abs. It doesn't. Your lower back is flexed like a mofo and your abs are soft because they're the antagonist of the muscle that's actually working.

Anyway, it's probably bad for you cuz of the stress it puts on your neck or something. I dunno.

Squat and Deadlift.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by IronFist

Anyway, it's probably bad for you cuz of the stress it puts on your neck or something. I dunno.
    Yes it is, but a good exercise once your neck is strong enough. Huge potential for injury though, so take care.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Heh, my friend told me about Iron Bridge exercise (though we didnt know the name at all that time) like almost 2 yrs ago, we tried and seemed real hard, but kinda fun to see who can lay like that the most. I dont think it can cause injury as long as you dont over do it and do it properly.
    Be water my friend.

And therein lies the problem - doing it properly.

If you want to try it, start low. Put two house bricks or a small pile of books, etc. on the ground and fold up a towel and lay it on the head end. Lay between them with your heels on one pile and the back of your head on the other. Then try very carefully to lift your back off the ground. Do a few short reps and rest a while and work your way up from there.

The injuries are likely to be a neck injury (subluxated cervical disks, etc.) or coccyx/lower back injury from falling between the supports.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by IronFist

People seem to think that this works your abs. It doesn't. Your lower back is flexed like a mofo and your abs are soft because they're the antagonist of the muscle that's actually working.
    Sure, just like abs are the antagonist of the muscles actually working in the deadlift.

Same effect though - squeeze your abs and more lower back muscles will fire. Conciously squeeze your abs during the Iron Bridge exercise and you will find that it works your abs.

for an easy bwe

lower back extensions
    lay flat on your stomache, hand under chin or directly outstretched to front for higher level, feet together and lift, pulse but keep feet of the ground.

dog lifts

get onto all fours and make like a back kick. leg straight and taught , lift directly up then change you angle and repeat in sets of 50-100, hands on ground, elbows on ground, back straight than arched.

Those sound like pretty intense exercises for someone in a wheelchair huh Eyebrows?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Actually, I still have feeling from my mid - hip down, and the first one I can do with only a small amount of hard work. The second is reminiscing and something I did when I was younger but still remember.

Lower back exercises.

What are the best?

I still don't have regular access to weights, but I may be able to get it.

Can find pullup bars and the rest is mostly bodyweight...

But any recommendations for strengthening that area would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Hey Mat. I read on the other thread that you slipped a disc. I did the same thing 20 years ago. Wow. This is getting freaky. What are you doing? Living my life from 20 years ago? Don't bother!! It was horrible!!

WATCH that slipped disc dude. It's nothing to fool around with. I had to hobble around on crutches for a couple of months. You don't want that.

It might surprise you, but a very good exercise you can do for your lower back is a very low, deep, prolonged horse stance. It's not as "obvious" an exercise for your back as some, but it DOES build strength.

Windmills are fruitful in this regard.

Supermans.

Lay down on your stomach with your hands stretched over your head like superman. Lift your legs, arms and as much of your upper body as possible off of the floor. The only thing touching the ground will be your mid section. Hold this pose and do reps.

How interesting that you are such a fan of Don Quixote fa jing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel
    Hey Mat. I read on the other thread that you slipped a disc. I did the same thing 20 years ago. Wow. This is getting freaky. What are you doing? Living my life from 20 years ago? Don't bother!! It was horrible!!
    Ah ****, and I thought it was original... I wouldn't have been doing it if I thought I was reinventing the wheel!

But yeah, it pretty much sucks **** this time round too!

It's not a slipped disc, but it's the same word in Japanese, and it pretty much equates to a disc that's coming out, but the muscles are strong enough to keep it in place, and then it's causing serious inflamation of the muscles from what I can gather... maybe some kind of hernia.

Anyway, hurts like a mother****er.

I've had it four times since the first damage to that area (first fell out of tree, then aiki breakfall, then hard sparring takedown on concrete, then kungfu exercise, then shooto training...! ) but have really been training smart since last time and have felt my back getting stronger and stronger (my whole body actually )...

but maybe need a few more exercises... usually do supermans, wing chun y stance and horse etc...

what are windmills?