Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Back Ache

Static Dish: is where you lay on the floor ensuring your lower back is firmly against the floor. Lift your shoulders and feet approximately 6" off the floor and hold for about 30 seconds.

Reply]
    Ahhh, NO! This will put excessive pressure on the lower back, and actually CAUSE a L4,L5 disk to budge MORE. If you start on your stomach and THEN do it your are good. You need to do back "Extension" exercises. The above compresses the spine and worsens the problem.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Static Dish: is where you lay on the floor ensuring your lower back is firmly against the floor. Lift your shoulders and feet approximately 6" off the floor and hold for about 30 seconds.

Reply]
    Ahhh, NO! This will put excessive pressure on the lower back, and actually CAUSE a L4,L5 disk to budge MORE. If you start on your stomach and THEN do it your are good. You need to do back "Extension" exercises.
    I was wondering about that...
    Quote Originally Posted by RD
    The above compresses the spine and worsens the problem.
    But a static dish shouldn't compress the spine...

BTW, thanks for the tips chaps, do mosyt of these things anyway.

Yet to hear from any weights guys/yoga guys... should have some ideas...?

Any movement that is like touching ur toes, or like a sit up/crunchie etc... compresses the spine. Anything that arches extends it.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu goat
    It is a common myth that weights strengthen the body, but really they just put too much stress on the joints and tendons. In the future it will only get worse.
    Bwahaha! I see things haven't changed much around here ...
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I have a lower back injury from about 30 years ago and sciatica as a result.
    I now have a 'routine' I do each morning before I get out of bed.
    1) stretch arms and legs, as if you are on a Rack-on your back like Superman
    2) bring both knees into chest (also known as wind release)
    3) bring alternate knee into chest, then across to release the spine
    4) straight leg overhead stretch=, lower back,hamstrings and sciatic nerve
    5) neck-gently stretch forward and to sides and angles forward

this is all while in bed. My feet don't touch the floor until this is performed.
    Afterwards, I do Sun Salutation and I'm ready to face the day.
    Yik Gun Ging is also very good to add

TenTigers,
    The routine you are doing is why you still have a problem 30 YEARS later. It compresses the spine, and pinches the nerve. When I went to therapy for my inury, I didn't just ask "What" to do, I asked the most unusual of questions... *Why* should I do. I was told to never do exercises like that again because it agrrevates the injury, or at the least prevents it from properly healing because it compresses and congestes the back as a result. You need to roll over on your tummy, and ACRH so the spine is expanded, and the pressure is thus released.

The exercises you are doing are for muscles, not injuries to the back itself. If the spine is dammaged (and it is or you wouldn't have siatica) you have to stretch *IT* back out, not the muscles. The exercises that stretch the muscles COMPRESS the Spine. You have it backwards.

What you need is to see a modle of the human skelital system, and then arch the modle, VS hunch it forward (like bending over). When you see how it pivotes, you will understand how arching the back expands it, and what you do compresses and actualy worsens the problem, or prevents it from healing.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 10-23-2005 at 08:45 AM.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I understand what you are saying, but evidently, my back doesn't. Since I have started this regimen, I haven't had any spasms, sciatica , tightness, or pain.
    Before doing this, carisoprodol was my savior. Parafon forte was useless, used to pop'em like m&m's with no result, but since doing my bad exercises, I have had no problems, and my flexibility has improved. I will, however look into your methodology as well. Every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Any movement that is like touching ur toes, or like a sit up/crunchie etc... compresses the spine. Anything that arches extends it.
    I am pretty sure that it is the other way around.
    Also the only thing that sure stretches the spine, is hanging from the bar.

If it helps, then your back isn't all that bad. At least it's not near as bad as mine was anyway.

I am pretty sure that it is the other way around.

Reply]
    Nope, it's not the other way around. If you are talking about stretching the MUSCLES out, yes, but the spin expands when arched. If you look at a moveable skelital modle you clearly see this. I actually thought the same as you before my physical therapist showed me different on the modle in his office.

>Also the only thing that sure stretches the spine, is hanging from the bar

Reply]
    Well, your part right. yes hanging upside down DOES stretch the spine, but it's not the only sure thing. Supermans, dry land swimming (real swimming too), Hollow rocks, anything that acrhes the back also stretches the spine out. These same exercises COMPRESS the muscles though, as they must contract to arch the back.

Exercises that do this work two fold. One they extend the spine, and two they build and condition the muscles so they better support the weakened spine. My goal is to develope my lower back so it is like a body builder on steriods. Even if I never accomplish the goal, what I will, and already have accomplished has me pain free, and even kicking over my head again...when my doctor told me Therapy would never work, I'd need surgery, and Defenetly would never do Kung Fu again (let alone get back to where I was).

Today, I can do everything I could before, the only real difference is I don't have knock down power with high kicks, I'm not fully as flexible as I was at 28 (not bad considering I'm 37 though ), and my cardio isn't as good. Honestly, I think at this point that has alot more to do with lack of practicing them than the injury.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Cupping and Static dish.

Hey there,
    Cupping is performed by any and all experienced acupuncturists.... so no need to go out and find a cupping practitioner.... it all comes under the umbrella term of TCM.

In regards to static dish adding excessive stress to the back... if done incorrectly then yes! However, this particular exercise is an isometric exercise that has actually been proven effective scientifically within the sport of gymnastics.

It's all in the body alignment.

The whole point of this exercise is to make sure that the lower spine is FLAT against the floor, to reduce as much stress as possible on the lumbar spine.
    Ideally muscle groups should always be worked in pairs i.e abdominals and back muscles.

Obviously, the main exercise for the back is dorsal raises / back extensions, however this exercise is actually compressing the spine and potentially closing the foramen where the nerve roots exits from L4/L5, thus potentially causing more symptoms of 'sciatica' like pain. However, the individual should only do the exercises that he/she feels comfortable to do and as and when the back begins to strengthen up, opt for either increasing the repetitions and/or adding new exercises to his/her repetoire.

Another important aspect here is to make sure that while strengthening the muscles. He/she should also be stretching the muscles and spine as well to make sure that the full ROM (range of movement) is maintained.
    Dave Stevens

In regards to static dish adding excessive stress to the back... if done incorrectly then yes! However, this particular exercise is an isometric exercise that has actually been proven effective scientifically within the sport of gymnastics.

Reply]
    Can you better describe this exercise? The description above clearly describes a big no no for injured backs. Maybe i'm not understanding the exercise itself.

As for gymnastics, most of those girls have very healthy backs, so an excercise of this type would not be an issue. injured backs are another story all together.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I just had a double herniation about 4 months ago and the exercises I was told to do were to lay on your stomach and do a push up but keep from your waist down on the floor, just push your upper body up so the back arches and hold for a few seconds. I was doing 30 of these at a time twice a day. Another would be to lay on your back with your knees up and feet flat. Then thrust your hips up leaving your shoulders and feet on the ground while tightening your glutes. I was doing about 30 of these twice a day. I was also doing some wall squats with a big ball behind me; and some twists with a weighted ball held out in front of me. There were some isometrics too like being on your back and bringing one knee up and using the opposite hand of the knee you brought up, push down on the knee but push the knee into the hand so there is resistence, this causes the stomach to contract. Hold for a few seconds then do the other side and continue for 3 sets of 10. There was A LOT of streching, hamstings, calves and the glutes. We started with heat then stretching, exercises, massage, ice, electro stim. Well, that was my expierence for what it's worth. I don't have any pain and have been cleared to go back to the gym.

That sounds like alot of stuuff they had me do too. Stretching was done with care not to comress the spine though. Warmups were walking backwards on the tred mill for 10 minutes. I found marching kicks useing side kicks, or back kicks to be better for me though.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Yeah they did most of my stretching very gently also. The only one I did myself is the standing hamstring strech all the others were done by the PT with me laying on the table.

Anyone got online pics of Tongzigong? There is a GREAT posture in it to hold if you have back injuries, AND it's a great throw too!

For the Women:

+ = & a