Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Lower Back Ache

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure I wasn't warmed up well enough.

I'm lucky it wasn't a lot worse. I'll take it as a reminder to do more mobility work and to warm up a little better.
    martin rooneys warm up stuff is the best i have seen, but if you want a free one youtube defrancos agile 8, quick easy and works

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Just a thought a lot of powerlifters who deadlift on a weekly basis will deadlift after some form of exercise, normally squatting, heck some deadlift at the end of a session where they also squatted AND benched, I personally don’t know many that deadlift as a first exercise on a consistent basis
    I tend to DL at the end of a routine, so my bakc ios warmed up and so are my arms and shoulder, BUT I only do 5 rep max and only 1 set, so...
    I used to do the DL first on days that I didn't do squats, but I would make sure that back, arms and shoulder were well warmed up AND I never go over 5 reps even in warm ups.
    I'd do about 3-4 warm up sest , with only 45 sec rest and keep increasing the weight slowly.
    If I was doing a 5x5 it would depend on which version I was doing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I tend to DL at the end of a routine, so my bakc ios warmed up and so are my arms and shoulder, BUT I only do 5 rep max and only 1 set, so...
    I used to do the DL first on days that I didn't do squats, but I would make sure that back, arms and shoulder were well warmed up AND I never go over 5 reps even in warm ups.
    I'd do about 3-4 warm up sest , with only 45 sec rest and keep increasing the weight slowly.
    If I was doing a 5x5 it would depend on which version I was doing.
    sensible man

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    sensible man
    Experience and pain are our best teachers, LOL !

Right now I am doing more of a BW workout with some weights:

Start off with calf raises (hold for count of 2 at top position)
    I do 50 BW as a warm up, then do 3 sets to failure with 10 second rest inbetween with 100lbs on a weight belt.
    3 sets to failure of dead-hang to stop at top chins ( you start each rep from a 1 second dead hang and end with a 1 sec hold at the top).
    2 sets to failure bent over DB rows
    3 sets to failure of Superman dips
    2 sets to failure incline push ups
    1 set to failure " diamond" push ups (index fingers and thumbs of both hands touching).
    2 sets to failure for one legged squats ( pistols).

Gonna do this for about 4 more weeks or so.

Was doing deadlift with light weight today. I just dropped the weight after a stall by 30lbs. The weight is nothing I haven't lifted easily before.

Rep number 3 of my last workset I felt the right lower back "pull", for lack of a better term.

Pain isn't severe, just annoying. Sucks bending over, but seems to be better if I keep it stretched.
    I've had similar stuff happen to me on a few occasions.

I've found the best thing for a fast recovery is massage. You can either pay someone to do it OR you can do it yourself by lying on top of a lacrosse ball (actually, I used a hard rubber dog ball) and rolling it out.

Stretching your hip flexors and doing extra ab work seems to help as well.

ooooh, and a heating pad...yeah, a heating pad is great!
    Last edited by donjitsu2; 08-02-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: forgot sum stuff...

The first thing to do is ice for 15-25 mins. every 2 hours for three days, then alternate heat and ice every 2 hours, after a week or two think about massage.

TGY will be able to give you more indepth advice though.

Ice every 2 hours, as you are able, for the first three days is the thing to do before anything else.

lol, thanks guys.

Sanjuro, I was working in the 5 rep range. Rep number 3 is what did it.

Frost, it's funny you should say that. I've been considering adding in at least my warmup weights for squats before deadlifts. I guess I should have done it sooner, lol.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    I've had similar stuff happen to me on a few occasions.

Stretching your hip flexors and doing extra ab work seems to help as well.
    What he said! As someone who has lower back issues I find that doing yoga's pigeon pose works great for hip flexors and glut stretch...I'd also suggest some mat stretches on your back that have worked...bring your knees into your chest and do some slow circular motions in both directions. Then bring one leg up, pull knee into your chest and gently pull it across your body until the knee touches the mat, a trunk twist that may be effective in loosening up that muscle group.

Just some suggestions from the peanut gallery.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Where in the right lower back ?
    Or you right or left handed?
    What grips were you using?

Feels like a strain on the spinal erector.

I'm right handed. Mixed grip. Right hand over, left hand under.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Feels like a strain on the spinal erector.

I'm right handed. Mixed grip. Right hand over, left hand under.
    A few things:
    When warming up you should either switch grips every set OR keep the "palms facing you" grip until you hit the heavy sets.
    The strain MAY have been caused by the weight traveling too far away from you, which MAY happen on the side with the "over hand" when using an "over hand+underhand" grip.
    I would suggest, and this is simply my opinion, to use the underhand grip on your dominate side BUT I have heard for some the opposite works, so...

Use a roller on your back or put a golf ball on e floor and roll your back across it, I heard that helps. Idk if it actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A few things:
    When warming up you should either switch grips every set OR keep the "palms facing you" grip until you hit the heavy sets.
    The strain MAY have been caused by the weight traveling too far away from you, which MAY happen on the side with the "over hand" when using an "over hand+underhand" grip.
    I would suggest, and this is simply my opinion, to use the underhand grip on your dominate side BUT I have heard for some the opposite works, so...
    I only switch to a mixed grip on the last work set. I can't use the underhand grip on the right side. It's uncomfortable and I have a tendency to keep a bent elbow on my right side, which presents a whole new slew of problems.

The weight didn't travel too far away. I drag the bar up my shins for every rep. My training partner was there and said my form looked good until I set it down after that painful rep. This is why I think it was a warmup issue.

I only switch to a mixed grip on the last work set. I can't use the underhand grip on the right side. It's uncomfortable and I have a tendency to keep a bent elbow on my right side, which presents a whole new slew of problems.

The weight didn't travel too far away. I drag the bar up my shins for every rep. My training partner was there and said my form looked good until I set it down after that painful rep. This is why I think it was a warmup issue.
    By the sounds of it, this may be a case if you sucking.

Yep, seems like a simple case of not enough warm up and perhaps to much of a jump in weight.

And you suck.