Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Mr. Nemo Guest
    That movie did have Taoist imagery coming out the a$$. The picture of the wagon wheels when Shu Lien's people first pulled into beijing, numerous shots of "empty vessels," yes, the green destiny, and Sir Te's advice to Governor Yu are some examples. Straight swordplay as I understand it is one of the "softest" kinds of combat, and shares many similarities with calligraphy (there's a scene about that too).

I've always nurtured the theory that almost all of Jackie Chan's movies are Taoist at heart, as well.

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-

While there was definitely a Taoist flavour in the imagery and so on, the "martial arts" were choregraphed martial arts and were drawn upon from a variety of sources to produce what looked the best on film.

please visit http://www.crouchingtiger.com and read what Ang Lee and Yuen Wo Ping have to say about the MA in the movie. As well there are quick time movies of interviews with both of them at this site and in these interviews, they will be the first to tell you a little about "movie fu"

peace

Kung Lek

Matt-le-kat Guest
    hmmmmmmmm, i've not seen it yet
    worth seeing?

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

AsianSifu Guest

not the first Taoist movie

Conan the Barbarian was one too. In the end the bad guy "detatches" from his head.
    Any psycologist can tell you that this is a symbol for letting go of one's thoughts and worries.

Crouching Tiger was a Taoist outreach propaganda, however in the end he chose attatchment and love over detachment and enlightenment proving that Conan The Barbarian is far truer to taoism. :) :( :o :D :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

I don't have a signature because I have no pen to write it.

Ryu Guest
    No more Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon threads!! Ugh! :eek:

Actually the film seemed to say that undisciplined energy tends to fall into destruction if not placed on a proper path. I agree.

Now no more!! LOL

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

Waidan Guest
    I'm SO glad to see someone else mention Conan as something other than a muscle-guy flick. Artisticly, it's fantastic (from the sets & costumes to the soundtrack), and it's filled with some brilliant philosophical points.

The Destroyer, however, sucked horribly.:(

Budokan Guest
    Did the director of "Crouching Tiger..." direct any other martial arts movies you guys would recommend?

K. Mark Hoover

rogue Guest
    Yes, Sense and Sensibility. Emma Thompson kicks some major butt in that one!!!

apoweyn Guest
    Budokan,

Ang Lee actually directed a movie called "Push Hands." It's not a martial arts movie, per say. Nothing at all like Crouching Tiger. But, obviously, it does make extensive reference to taiji.

It's about a chinese man, his caucasian wife, and his father, who lives with them. His father is a taiji teacher at the local Chinese cultural center.

The movie centers on the cultural clashes resulting from a traditional chinese elder living with an American daughter in law.

Good flick. With some interesting taiji scenes.

Aside from that, Ang Lee hasn't ventured into martial arts much.

Stuart

8stepsifu Guest
    In both push hands and crouching tiger, MA ability is shown by catching something before it falls. I'm sure that most of you can relate.

also, you have got to check this out.

The Father of "Kung Fu Rythm" and spiritual Son of Jackie Chan

http://uzair.20m.com
    http://sipra.20m.com

8stepsifu Guest
    In both push hands and crouching tiger, MA ability is shown by catching something before it falls. I'm sure that most of you can relate.

also, you have got to check this out.

The Father of "Kung Fu Rythm" and spiritual Son of Jackie Chan. He's gonna be in movies soon, buy stock in his company.

http://uzair.20m.com
    http://sipra.20m.com

Budokan Guest

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" Wins Hugo Award

For those who didn't know:

CTHD won the prestigous fan-based Hugo Award for best science fiction and/or fantasy movie last week at WorldCon, the largest SF convention held throughout the year. If I'm not mistaken, it's the first time a MA film ever won this award.

K. Mark Hoover

apoweyn Guest
    My good friend Brian was there. Guess he missed that one.

Stuart B.

shaolinboxer Guest

Yeah, that's right

It won in the catagory of "Dramatic Presentation".

Other winners in this category:
    Galaxy Quest
    Contact
    The Truman Show.....
    Back to the Future
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

Ryu Guest
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH!!!!!!

....cough cough...weeze.....

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."