Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Felipe Bido Guest

Dear friend Ryu

Are you in the bathroom, perhaps..please, close the door..we can hear you from here :D

Mendacem Oportet Esse Memorem (A Liar Must Have a Good Memory)

logic Guest

O.k. Ryu

Is that you?
    and if so how much are you benchin there.
    And whats your max.

Honest Neutral Clarity

Ryu Guest
    oops, terribly sorry.

*closes door*

*from within the stall KF hears:..."No more CTHD threads!!"

;)

Ryu

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

ATENG Guest

logic...i believe the caption says kimura

(nt)

---------------------
    Its all fun and games til someone loses an
    eye. Then its just fun.

logic Guest
    oops, sorry bout that :)

Honest Neutral Clarity

anerlich Guest
    And Harry Potter / The Goblet of Fire won a Hugo as well.

Both of these are great ... I'm just not sure I'd call either of them SF.

Budokan Guest
    You're right, they're not SF, but the category is somewhat open-ended and anything even remotely approaching fantasy is accepted.

K. Mark Hoover

JasBourne Guest
    You have GOT to be kidding. It was a barely passable story. CTHD was a 'pretty' kungfu movie, that's all. A Hugo??? (looks up at sky, checking for pigs)

crouching tiger fans besides me??

Sometimes in circles i'm afraid to express my opinion/enthusiasm about ANYTHING because some uppity snob will slap me down with something to the effect of "are you insane?? how could you like that!? it was crap!!!" If you are a fan of anime or manga you are likely to have been on either end of this conversation...

Crouching TIger was a great movie. Most of what america has been exposed to when they think of movies like this is exactly responsible for "Kung Pow: enter the fist." Now, i've never seen that movie, but my opinion is people see wireworks in the first place and they scoff and make fun of the dubbing.
    In my opinion, the attitude and mood of this movie is what made it what it was. Yes, i've seen better fights, and i laugh everytime someone mentions kevin costner's accent in Robin Hood so i can appreciate Chow Yun Fat's shortcomings in the movie. However, what have people who CAN'T pick apart his sword form in the movie been exposed to??? how many of you signed up for a kung fu class or couldn't wait for more martial arts movies after you saw Rumble in the Bronx?? i know some of us have been here a lot longer, but honestly, we owe a lot to Crouching Tiger, the Matrix, etc...

Which brings me to my next point. The attitude and mood of this movie is what made it what it was. Have you ever shown a friend Once Upon a Time in China and they thought it was completely silly? Did they have the same reaction to Crouching Tiger? I'm going to guess not, because the movies, regardless of the validity of their techniques (or whatever the problems critics had with the fighting, i think it's an important point that wasn't it nominated for best dance????) take themselves seriously, and the special effects are JUSTIFIED. Why can people run up walls in the Matrix? Not because the director just thought a "plain ol' fight" would be boring but because the presentation suspended the audiences beliefs and made what we see on the screen seem natural and cool... same with CTHD. We get used to the world and how things are very quickly, and with the beautiful music and plot, we can appreciate how the "physics" work a lot more. This talk of the fighters looking cartoonish is like complaining about the boxing in Rocky looking bad, i don't think i have to explain THAT to this board ... It's not necessarily about the fighting.. the motions of the actors (sigh, and doubles ) the music, the cinematography perfectly match the mood of the film, in my opinion.

As a martial arts movie, or even a love story (tragedy?) i've seen better. As a fantasy, and an ACTION flick... i think it deserved every award it got. Costner's accent is terrible (unlike some other robin hoods..., lol) the sword fighting was meh... but that doesn't mean Robin Hood wasn't a great time, and in my opinion i think it deserved all its praises too, (Same goes for the matrix, mwa ha ha)

love and unity,
    matt

(P.S. On the other hand, any suggestions for looking for "good" wushu/ action flicks? because this movie has sent me on a non-stop quest for them...)

Thumbs up

I totally Dig CTHD...

it certainly changed how "people" view that genre... Also, the advent of subtitled films in general.

I suppose it's an upshot in globalization... you can go to your local multiplex and actually see a subtitled movie.

I remember going to see Brotherhood of the Wolf at such a multiplex & at every ticket counter there was a printed out warning that "this movie is in FRENCH with English subtitles" I guess this was an attempt to avoid refunding tickets for folks too lazy to read...

But Back to CTHD, Ang Lee rocked that film. Great action (not purist Kungfu) beautiful scenes COOL weapons and design (especially with some of the background charactors in the scene at the tea house).

If you haven't seen it... check out IRON MONKEY...
    another personal favorate.

Talking Suggestions!

My personal faves;

Black Sheep Affair starring Chui Man Chuek
    Blade starring Chui Man Chuek
    Arhats of Fury (whole host of wushu athletes)
    Blade of Fury starring Cynthia Khan, Chin Siu Ho
    Operation Scorpio starring Chin Ka Lok, Lau Ga Leung & Yuen Chung
    Heros of the Marsh (whole host of wushu athletes)
    Fist of Legend starring Jet Li
    Kickboxer starring Yuen Biao

For old school Hot Cool & the Vicious starring Delon Tan & Don Wong.
    Project A starring Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung & Yuen Biao

Theres some stuff to start with.

Fist of Legend rocked...

another classic...

Dreadnaught

Progidal Son also....

I like Magnificent Butcher, and as for flying-fu..
    The best Flying-fu movies are with Ekin Cheng.
    Storm Riders....
    A Man Called Hero...
    The best flying-fu ever.

Heck, I make fun of people who like The Matrix...

there were plenty of movies with much better kung fu like Iron Monkey, but I think CTHD appealed to western audience because of the romance story of the film.

another Ekin Cheng swordsman movie - "The Duel"

Talking you like me.. you really like me lol!!

wow i thought i was gonna get the crap kicked outta me for posting that for some reason, lol!

fist of legend woot woot!

i enjoyed iron monkey severely. I also really enjoy Tai Chi Master.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

( i can't believe i didn't think of this, but as a fencer myself i wasn't THAT P.O'd that the musketeer fighting wasn't fencing NOR kung fu.. so that's sorta relevent. By the way, Mask of Zorro with mr. banderas is good fencing, lol)

Will defitely check out yon flying-fu movies. And that's a great point about actually finding subtitled movies now.

unity
    matt