Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Watched CTHD and wasn't that impressed with it.

The obvious wire-work annoyed the crap out of me, sorry guys SFX shouldn't be easy to spot.

Story-line was kinda ok, overall better than a lot of other movies I have seen bot nowhere near the top.

Cheers.

P.S.: So that you can hate me even more most Jet Li Movies, IMO, aren't that hot either.
    Witty signature under construction.

Heck, I make fun of people who like The Matrix...
    I don't think most people who like the matrix like it for the kung fu.

The fact is simply that the matrix has a better story than 95% plus of kung fu movies. It has broader appeal because the action is just one of the things it has going for it.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

P.S.: So that you can hate me even more most Jet Li Movies, IMO, aren't that hot either.
    Wow, finally something LC and I can agree on. I feel a deep disturbance in the force.

The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Talking indeed :)

yeah. actually back to jet li there's a nice fanmail or on his website about how it's not about the technique but the story and action that builds up to the actual fight that counts (that being said how did that P.O.S. cradle 2tg get released??) so yeah, matrix wasn't about the fighting, really. Anybody ever see Ghost in the Shell?? it will remind you a lot of that. and the wachowski brothers aren't shy about claiming their influences from that movie.

the wachowski brothers aren't shy about claiming their influences from that movie.
    Ever read The Invisibles ?

Thumbs up wowwee...

man, that looks great! what IS (ARE) the invisibles? how did you come across it? etc.. etc... tell me about it mister! lol

If you dug The Matrix

you should run out to any comicbook shop and ask for THE INVISIBLES...

The comics are collected in a series of books (trade paperbacks)

Say you want a revolution

Apocalipstick

Entropy In The UK

Bloody Hell In America

Counting To None

Kissing Mister Quimper

Invisible Kingdom

one of the the most mindbending reads... and with cool pictures

But we should be talking about comics here.

You know, I don't buy this whole "Western audiences liked CTHD because they aren't used to all the Hong Kong stuff" argument.

Hong Kong martial arts flicks are fun, but aside from the fight choreography, like 999 out of 1000 of them[warning: sweeping generalization] have not much artfulness to them, force fed propaganda in them, and no attempt at serious acting. Add to that the fact that most of them are the same exact story, INCLUDING Once Upon a Time in China, CTHD, which focussed more on the movie making aspects than most martial arts flicks, which save on budget by spending on choreography, which save on writers by spending on choreography, ad infinitum, this world where kung fu flix aren't crap to the non-kung fu practitioner is about as much a fantasy as CTHD, except CTHD has Michelle looking all forlorn, and that's the sort of fantasy people want.

There's a reason that mostly martial artists and teens watch once upon a time, but CTHD is watched by a variety of age ranges. I happen to like both, but as an example of good movie making that really reaches people, I pick CTHD, and as an example of kung fu choreography with some nice location shots, I pick Once upon a time. But I'd never give Jet any awards for acting, much as I like his kung fu. Every line, it's like he's thinking about acting, and then, suddenly, decides against it.

But really what matters about all these technicalities, the thing is that Crouching tiger is just a beautiful film, right?

Thumbs down crouching american

I rip everybody I come in contact with for liking that super-simplified piece of crap movie, watch Hero for better wire-fu, and better story.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: The Comic

been collecting the comics since they came out! all the way up to the twelth issue which is the final one. this comic was so much better then the movie, so much more kung fu even the story arch blew that garbage ass movie away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you talking about the one from comics one? i got 1-4 they are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I read the first 3 collected and translated volumes made available by Comics 1. I think other volumes are around I just haven't picked them up.

Lovely artwork. Fun story... maybe I should hunt the other digests down.

you should

it get better and better espiecially the art work. they start using hand painted artwork and enhance digitally and they swicth to glossy paper all starting in issue five.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Here's some associated CTHD threads, just to keep things tidy.

Composer Tan Dun Scores Oscar with CROUCHING TIGER: From operas to symphonies to film scores by Wade Major

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: An Evening At The Academies by Craig Reid

At this posting, it's mentioned on over 60 threads here including this one.

Why bring this up now? Because it CTHD just went Blu-Ray and you could win one in our latest sweepstakes. Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 08/05/2010. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart