Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chi Gerk

Chi Gerk

First, if the spelling is wrong, I apologize. Some WC buddies and I have been discussing chi gerk lately and I thought it would make for an interesting topic.

Train it / Don't train it / Don't care?

I see it as an often overlooked tool...especially in the dirty boxing range. Not the typical movements (or typical named ideals - ex. bong gerk, etc.) which seem focused on leg checks or larger sweeps. I see it as more subtle - towards using leg/knee/foot "sensitivity" or positioning in a way to off-balance or set up something else.

Any useful tools / thoughts / experiences you could share from your training?

Thanks
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

I hate it. Every time we train chi gerk heavily I end up hardly being able to walk for a day or two afterwards.

OTOH I wish I trained it more often. It definitely provides some useful skill. I really like a few of the kicks and it's frustrating when you're up against someone with good leg skills - gives them a great advantage.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

EBMAS guys use your sensitivity aspect to get straight in and take the center, while keeping the leg "springy" in case manuvering needs to be done. Weight's on the back leg almost entirely, so that when someone is attempting to sweep the front leg posture is maintained. I think EB even showed a bit of it on the seminar video that's floating around. While not chi gerk in the traditional sense, I'm thinking that might be more of what you were asking about.

From a traditional standpoint, the bong/jing/jut gurk setup which is great, but I prefer to use more of a free flowing san sao approach to it; as that's the way it was shown to me originally.

Overall I think it's a great tool. I've always liked being able to offset someone with my legs, and have always used my legs to block and manipulate low attacks. Additionally I'm almost always using gerk techniques down low at the same time I'm using sao fot...so the skill in my mind is imperitive.

What's always worked well for me is when I enter from an "outside" angle, say like a right tan sao/tan do vs a right punch. Depending on the leg positioning (which leg I stepped forward with) I'd leg reap inwards or outwards while controlling the arm and elbow with some sort of chin-na. It's a good setup...and while it doesn't work 100% of the time, it works more often than not, because once someone is unbalanced, the mind is redirected from the punching arm allowing me to more easily manipulate it into and arm bar or a standing figure 4 lock (kimura type lock).

Good question.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I'll be expecting the hate mails after this post.
    Yip Man didn't chi geuk. It was made up by some students. I've heard this from a few YM students through the years and I even have an article explaining the details. I'll see if Ican find it.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 04-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I'll be expecting the hate mails after this post.
    Yip Man didn't chi geuk. It was made up by some students. I've heard this from a few YM students through the years and I even have an article explaining the details. I'll see if Ican find it.
    Yip Man obviously didn't have the REAL WC
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yip Man taught leg defenses/checks and such but no formal chi geuk exercise like in chi sao. Here is the article I refered to:
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yip Man obviously didn't have the REAL WC
    I knew I was going to get hit with sarcasm or worse . ...
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I knew I was going to get hit with sarcasm or worse . ...
    Didn't you know ??
    Only one system of WC is the real WC, and its Sil Lum Wing Chun
    Everything else, is just samba dancing and jell-o wrestling.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sifu Redmond - Yip Man or no Yip Man, do you see any worth in the training?

Again, I don't know about the legs high in the air stuff. We do an exercise from time to time just to get a feel for anatomy and balance. With a partner standing in various stances, use your hands to manipulate their knee and feel how to move the joint in ways that cause it give way. And by stance, it could be anything from a solid formal stance, to one that is off balanced after a missed punch, legs together, legs apart, etc.

After getting a feel, then during drills if you find yourself in a position where your legs are close to your opponents, you can try to manipulate their knee using your shin, your knee, your ankle, etc. Or, lock their foot in place as you move the rest of their body causing stress on the joints. The balance break is only a split second, so a bridge with the hands works well to take advantage with a strike or push.

I find myself in this type of situation during the clinch or dirty boxing. Not necessarily looking for it, but if I feel my leg close to the opponents, I believe it could be a good tool.

Would this still be considered chi geuk? (thanks for the spelling)
    Last edited by Wilson; 04-18-2008 at 11:50 AM.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Sifu Redmond - Yip Man or no Yip Man, do you see any worth in the training?

Again, I don't know about the legs high in the air stuff. We do an exercise from time to time just to get a feel for anatomy and balance. With a partner standing in various stances, use your hands to manipulate their knee and feel how to move the joint in ways that cause it give way. And by stance, it could be anything from a solid formal stance, to one that is off balanced after a missed punch, legs together, legs apart, etc.

After getting a feel, then during drills if you find yourself in a position where your legs are close to your opponents, you can try to manipulate their knee using your shin, your knee, your ankle, etc. Or, lock their foot in place as you move the rest of their body causing stress on the joints. The balance break is only a split second, so a bridge with the hands works well to take advantage with a strike or push.
    I find myself in this type of situation during the clinch or dirty boxing. Not necessarily looking for it, but if I feel my leg close to the opponents, I believe it could be a good tool.

Would this still be considered chi geuk? (thanks for the spelling)
    There are some very good lower gate leg checks and blocks in the various versions of WC. But trying to do a circling exercise to emulate chi sao wasn't part of Yip Man's curriculum according to what I was taught. I always add according to what I was taught/told because none of us were around in those days to make any concrete claims. The spelling gerk is acceptable. I'm just anal at the fact that Cantonese has no 'r' sounds.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Everything else, is just samba dancing and jell-o wrestling.
    You're saying that like it's a bad thing.

Bill
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Sifu Redmond/Wilson:

We were working chi geuk this week and did both the slow bong geuk and chi geuk (inside/outside) exercises from your article posted. We also took it a little further and did some leg checking drills (my shins are busted up a little bit). What's TWC's position on leg checks for kicks? If/when do you see a use for them? How do these leg positions relate to the Entry Technique in TWC?

Thanks,

BRnPA

Quote Originally Posted by BRnPA View Post
    Sifu Redmond/Wilson:

We were working chi geuk this week and did both the slow bong geuk and chi geuk (inside/outside) exercises from your article posted. We also took it a little further and did some leg checking drills (my shins are busted up a little bit). What's TWC's position on leg checks for kicks? If/when do you see a use for them? How do these leg positions relate to the Entry Technique in TWC?

Thanks,

BRnPA
    Interruptibility is an essential part of TWC. Obviously we're speaking of the TWC entry where the leg is raised. There are various other ways of closing the gap (entering), but I'll deal with the raised leg entry. The raised leg could turn into a kick or even be a feint, "Generally" the leg is raised if there is an attack (kick/punch), to the lower gate. If contact is made on the raised leg you'll need to be able to interrupt and change to an advantagous position. When we do train the raised leg entry we have to be able to deal with an opponent moving back, laterally, diagonally, charging in, round/front/side/spin kicking, shooting in for a takedown, etc.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I was taught Chi Gerk and I teach it to people as well. I think it's really important. I see it this way:

I was always taught 'elbow to elbow/diamond to diamond.' The Dai Bong (Low-Action Bong) is a good example of this. If my hands are at my sides (unprepared defense) and my attacker strikes low, I can easily Dai Bong. This generally lands on their forearm or best if their elbow. But, of course, I'm only seeking centre.

As in the above example, I see the elbow-to-elbow nature with the Chi Gerk. I like the knee-to-knee drills that are in the photos/article Phil provided. I use that drill a lot in the beginning. It really helps drive a sensitivity home for when your opponent lifts their leg...you can easily and sub-consciously lift yours.

The drills really have a mind of their own after a while. After chasing centre with all the arm and leg drills, in a sparring session, you easily chase the centre and lift a leg when your opponent kicks, etc.

So, I love the Chi Gerk exercises. They help reinforce the maxim (visually as well as with sensitivity): Hand blocks hand, foot blocks foot, there is no unstoppable technique.

Hope this helps,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    I was taught Chi Gerk and I teach it to people as well. I think it's really important. I see it this way:

I was always taught 'elbow to elbow/diamond to diamond.' The Dai Bong (Low-Action Bong) is a good example of this. If my hands are at my sides (unprepared defense) and my attacker strikes low, I can easily Dai Bong. This generally lands on their forearm or best if their elbow. But, of course, I'm only seeking centre.

As in the above example, I see the elbow-to-elbow nature with the Chi Gerk. I like the knee-to-knee drills that are in the photos/article Phil provided. I use that drill a lot in the beginning. It really helps drive a sensitivity home for when your opponent lifts their leg...you can easily and sub-consciously lift yours.

The drills really have a mind of their own after a while. After chasing centre with all the arm and leg drills, in a sparring session, you easily chase the centre and lift a leg when your opponent kicks, etc.

So, I love the Chi Gerk exercises. They help reinforce the maxim (visually as well as with sensitivity): Hand blocks hand, foot blocks foot, there is no unstoppable technique.

Hope this helps,
    Kenton
    Hi Kenton, since Wing Chun is a "Kuen" the option to enhance Wing Chun is open.
    Chi Geuk (gerk) may help some people.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr