Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago Shaolin Temple

Quote Originally Posted by wutangforever View Post
    Looks like that user put up a whole bunch of clips. We also have video at www.ShaolinTempleChicago.com , but I need to get a better player for it as you can't fast forward with the flash player it currently has.
    ya i saw those other clips after i made the post...
    are those monks teach at that school?
    or they were visitn monks?

3 of the monks (the one who did the cane, one of the ones in yellow, and the one who had the sledgehammer break concrete on his head) run the Chicago Shaolin Temple. A few were from the S.F. temple and a few from Flushing, NY.

Thumbs up

I also just put up the second half of Shifu Yanyue's tongzigong form (I'm assuming that's what it is).
    Here it is!

My Damo cane video pales in comparison to amiephoto's but I'm partial to xiao shifu's frog form. .

Quote Originally Posted by wutangforever View Post
    3 of the monks (the one who did the cane, one of the ones in yellow, and the one who had the sledgehammer break concrete on his head) run the Chicago Shaolin Temple. A few were from the S.F. temple and a few from Flushing, NY.
    Yellow with the black sash!
    "A good fight should be like a small play, but played seriously. When the opponent expands, I contract. When he contracts, I expand. And when the opportunity presents itself, I do not hit. It hits all by itself." - Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

Chicago Shaolin

I put the first part of this article on the Shanghai World Expo thread. Perhaps we need a Chicago Shaolin thread.

Shaolin Kungfu show stunning visual feast for Chicago audience
    www.chinaview.cn 2009-12-14 15:25:58

CHICAGO, Dec. 13, (Xinhua) -- Braving a cold, rainy December evening, nearly 2,000 fortunate Chicagoans had the rare opportunity to witness a fantastic Shaolin Kungfu performance Saturday night.

At the Paramount Theater in the Chicago suburb of Aurora, 14 warrior monks, led by their world acclaimed chief coach, Shi Yanlu, showcased the authentic and classic Shaolin martial arts, developed by generations of warrior monks over the last 1,500 years.

Along with local Chinese dancers and musicians, the Kungfu masters presented a stunning visual feast to an enthusiastic audience, which was opened with a spectacular 10-minute traditional Chinese lion dance.

Paula Lazarz, a Chinese martial arts practitioner and teacher, and Helen Wang, an executive officer and TV anchor at Suncastv, co-hosted the event and inserted glamour and humor to the enjoyable evening.

The most exciting moment finally came when the Shaolin Kungfu masters, in their light gray Kungfu uniforms, took the stage as if it was their battle field.

Within the blink of an eye, "hai..""ya.."crackled through the theater. The powerful sound rumbled like thunder breaking through clouds, followed by the warrior monks' sweeping sequence of movements as brisk as lightning.

Holding their breath, and eyes popping, the audience watched the intricate fighting styles in absolute awe.

Monk Shi Hengshi kicked off the show with Shaolin's famous drunkard boxing. While portraying the illusion of a stumbling drunk, this maneuver is actually a highly skilled movement that combines power and grace.

Immediately following was Shi Hengli's tiger boxing performance, one of 10 open-hand boxing styles that mimic movements from animals such as tigers, eagles, snakes and grasshoppers. Jumping, kicking and roaring like a real tiger, Shi concluded his performance standing tall and courageous like a true king of the mountain.

During the weapon routines, warrior monks adroitly commanded awide range of weapons, such as double spears, swords, strings and knives, to demonstrate their incredible strength, flexibility and elegance.

Meanwhile, the Shaolin masters displayed their implausible internal strength and ability by performing the Qigong arts.

The audience shouted with excitement when one monk astonishingly threw a needle through a glass wall and popped the balloon on the other side, just like a magician.

A 10-year old warrior monk, Shi Xiaoliang, drew prolonged applause after performing Shaolin children's Kungfu, a style designed particularly for young practitioners. He acquires amazing flexibility and was said, to borrow the words of the hostess, as soft as cotton and as hard as steel.

Xie Yunliang, acting consul general of the Chinese Consulate in Chicago, said, "over 20 years ago, the movie 'Shaolin Temple' brought huge fame to Shaolin Kungfu, which is a precious part of Chinese culture."

Chicago Shaolin Temple teachers and students also presented very impressive performances, including circular boxing and eight-step continuous boxing.

Chicago Shaolin Temple was founded by Master Shi Yanju, who launched the training classes aiming both at sharing his teachings with martial arts enthusiasts and preserving the rich tradition of Shaolin Kungfu.

"Our mission is to promote spiritual cultivation, improve health and carry forward the spirit of Zen-Wu and the Shaolin culture," said Shi Yanlu, "We would like to promote cultural exchange and help our American friends become more interested in Chinese culture and understand it better."

At the end of the performance, Jesse White, the Secretary of State of Illinois, received a Chinese calligraphy gift from Liu Yingbiao, a notable calligraphy artist at Shaolin Temple.

Jointly presented by Chicago Shaolin Temple and the Chicago-based IPTV provider Suncastv, the event is designed to further promote Shaolin Kungfu and Chinese culture through multi-media platform.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks for posting this Gene! It was a fun event.

Ben
    Student, Chicago Shaolin Temple

I think one of the best parts was Shi yanlu demonstraiting dahong I posted it on youtube you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riV5LIMgi0M

Also it was cool getting to say hello to some of the people there that I met while I was at shaolin last summer.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

I took the liberty of changing the title of this thread

It's now 'Chicago Shaolin Temple'. The previous title focused on the Olympic demo, but we really need a Chicago Shaolin Temple thread here and this seems like a good place for it. I tend to focus on the S.F. Shaolin Temple since that's my 'hood. I don't mean to overlook Chicago by any means...

Keep us updated, wutangforever
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks Gene! We'll definitely keep you guys updated...our school is growing and we now have 3 of Shi Yan Ju's disciples here helping to teach, and Shi Guolin has been out here a couple times.

This is Shi Heng Cheng from chicago shaolin temple performing a the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B_0fY4YvOo

Shi Heng Long from Chicago shaolin at the aurora performance last saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sly8RvNIyM

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Shi Heng Long from Chicago shaolin at the aurora performance last saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sly8RvNIyM
    He, he, he, what a great name....Heng Long, wish that one was my Shaolin name.

What are you sayin' sha0lin1?

My Shaolin name is Xing Long.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just laughing at the way it is pronounced and what that would mean in English. At least its not Biggus ****us.

Why I'll have you know...

...that we "longs" are very proud of our name.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rising Tiger

The latest from Shaolin Chicago...
    Chinese Lantern Festival in North Central
    By Sara Hooker | Daily Herald Staff
    Contact writer
    Published: 4/15/2010 12:05 AM

North Central's Pfeiffer Hall becomes an ancient Chinese monastery with a Buddha and fighting monks this weekend at Xilin Art Center's Lantern Festival.

The fifth annual festival will include 100 performers and feature the martial arts ad worship of China's Shaolin monks.

Xilin Art Center, based in Naperville, is an organization that serves the Asian population's needs in the Chicago area.

The Lantern Festival, a special occasion celebrating life and light, is a traditional Chinese festival celebrated on the 15 day of the first lunar month. It indicates the end of all Lunar New Year festivities.

In the past, colorful red lanterns decorated the streets and buildings of China during the festival. Today, the lantern festival remains a major event for the country with elaborate fireworks displays.

The feature presentation on Sunday, April 18, is by the Shaolin monks, who originated in China 1,500 years ago and now have temples in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Using spears, swords and knives, 10 monks, two of whom traveled from China for the event, will use strength and flexibility to demonstrate their swift movements and martial arts.

The performance will include a backdrop and a big Buddha that will emulate the actual morning ritual in China. The monks' costumes are tiger orange, fitting in with the festival's theme "Rising Tiger."

"Basically they're going to have their morning worship, and the song they will sing is really what they're doing over there in the morning," said Xilin Executive Director Linda Yang. "They're doing what they're doing at the original Shaolin temple."

Other performances include Chinese dancing, singing and music. Special appearances will be given by the Chengda Percussion Ensemble and the Xilin children's performing choir.

This is the second year Art Director and Choreographer Yang Qiang has organized the performance. An award-winning dance instructor, Qiang originates from the prestigious Beijing Ballet Dance Institute in Beijing, China.

Last year's performance was sold out, and tickets are nearly sold out for Sunday's performance, Yang said.

"We're just trying to bring different things to the public and let people enjoy the rich culture of the performing arts," Yang said.

The Xilin Lantern Festival begins at 5 p.m. Sunday, April 18, at North Central College's Pfeiffer Hall, 310 E. Benton Ave., Naperville.

Tickets are $10 for general seating or $20 for VIP seating. Tickets may be purchased in advance at the Xilin Center, 1163 E. Ogden Ave., Suite 301, or at the door the day of the performance if seats are available.

For information, call (630) 355-4322 or visit xilin.org.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips