Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oyama defeated by Tai Chi Master?

Oyama defeated by Tai Chi Master?

This link has been around for a few years now and quotes Mas. Oyama's autobiography where the founder of the Kyokushinkai style of karate apparently claims that he lost a fight to an elderly tai chi master.

What I would like to know is if anybody here can verify this story. The only autobiography of Oyama that I know of is in Japanese. Anyway, here is the link:

www.crane.50megs.com/index6j.htm
    Last edited by HardWork8; 04-19-2008 at 11:15 AM.

"I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Just to clarify.

I just wanted to see if this literature is included in any so called "autobiography" credited to Masutatsu Oyama.

Sorry, that was rude wasn't it?

I doubt this story is true coming from this guy. It could be true to an extent, but c'mon, he had tears of joy running down his face?! Feeble old man...etc etc...?

Anything passed on by word of mouth is 99% inflated or blatently wrong, even moreso as time passes. Anything written down in History books is only a one sided account written by those in power at the time. Unless there's unrefutable evidence, it's probably B.S. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If it's a cliche story base with inserted characters, than you know it's probably not true.

Would be nice though, wouldn't it?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Sorry, that was rude wasn't it?
    It was more ignorant than rude, but apology accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen
    I doubt this story is true coming from this guy. It could be true to an extent, but c'mon, he had tears of joy running down his face?! Feeble old man...etc etc...?
    The tears of joy are irrelevant if the story is false or true.

Anything passed on by word of mouth is 99% inflated or blatently wrong, even moreso as time passes.
    The point is that the author quotes Oyama's autobiography and not word of mouth.

Anything written down in History books is only a one sided account written by those in power at the time.
    Except in this case the "history book" is supposedly written by the defeated party, Mas. Oyama. That is why I wanted to see wether someone could clarify this whole thing.

Unless there's unrefutable evidence, it's probably B.S.
    Again, if the losing party is telling the story, then that would point to the evidence, at least to some extent.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    Wether this story is too good to be true will depend on who is reading it. It may not be story that is too good to be true if the reader is a none kung fu person.

If it's a cliche story base with inserted characters, than you know it's probably not true.
    Again, we don't know that yet. The main character seems to have been a real one, Masutatsu Oyama and the story is apparently based on his autobiography.

Would be nice though, wouldn't it?
    Not for karate men nor a pseudo kung fu men who only ridicule the internal aspects of TCMAs.

To conclude, I just wanted to see the source of that story. Looking at the rest of the site, as I am sure you would agree, most of the content seems to be verifiable.

I know for a fact that there is an autobiography of Oyama in Japanese. The article in the site does refer to Oyama's autobiography.

It would be interesting to see if this "incident" is included in Oyama's Japanese autobiography, or if we could get another solid source of reference for it.

Yep...a number of sources would be the only way to go...but since it seems there was only Chen, and Oyama, and one unnamed party there, it's highly unlikely.

Are you even sure that Oyama even wrote this autobiography? Is the auther even sure?

Either way...it's good reading if nothing else.

Are you even sure that Oyama even wrote this autobiography? Is the auther even sure?
    I remember a long time ago I came across a Kyokushinkai site where it listed books authored by Oyama. At the time I was searching for more sources of information on his life and I remember being disappointed when I realized that his autobiography was in Japanese.

There's also the story out there of William Cheung from TWC facing off with Oyama, I remember him mentioning it when he was here in TBay while on his Canadian Tour. Victor P may have more details about it as he mentioned it once in a thread awhile back. I don't remember the details but apparently it ended up a draw.

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    There's also the story out there of William Cheung from TWC facing off with Oyama, I remember him mentioning it when he was here in TBay while on his Canadian Tour. Victor P may have more details about it as he mentioned it once in a thread awhile back. I don't remember the details but apparently it ended up a draw.

James
    Thanks for that. It is the first time I hear about this.
    This is another story to look into, I suppose. I wonder if any interviewer has ever asked William Cheung to elaborate on the story or is there anyone who can shine more light on Cheung's claim.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 04-19-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post

James

William Cheung tells some tall stories. I have a video of a seminar he did in the UK about 10 years ago where he claims in response to a question from Brian Desir to have beaten three of the Gracies top black belts by using gum sau when they tried to take him down and then chain punching them in the head
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Yeah, that little story was a serious load.

cjurakpt Guest
    and the quote on that site about "taiji being for supermen" was from a book entitled "Moving Zen", written by a Shotokan practitioner named C.W. Nicol, a Canadian ex-pat living in Japan back in the '60's, whose entire text reads like the mooings of a love-sick cow staring into a tractor's headlights in regard to his swallowing the whole TMA schtick hook, line and sinker...

I think this got started when Sensei Oyama was once quoted in a mag article as saying Bruce Lee was hyped beyond all reason and that Sonny Chiba was much stronger.

GM Cheung replied (in another magazine) that that was crap and he (Cheung) would be prepared to prove it to him (Oyama) in a match - just rock up at my school LOL.

I doubt they ever faced off - in any case Oyama was getting fairly old by then. About as conclusive and intelligent as Cheung/Boztepe if it ever happened. I'm sure Rick Spain, my instructor, would have known about it and mentioned it if it ever happened.

One of my WC training buds is married to a 4-time Aussie Kyokushin champ and occasionally competes in their comps. My own WC instructor trains regularly with a Kyokushin school and plans to grade to black belt soon, just as a growth experience. You don't need to beat 'em. You can make friends with 'em. Same with the UFC MMA types some of you guys seem to have fixations with. Drop the ego, go do a few classes. Worst thing could happen is you learn something. Might even be a valuable experience.

IMO a lot a straw grasping in this thread and the other about MT guys doing WC. There might be some secret WC school somewhere whose practitioners can vanquish every style on the planet, but I doubt it. Claims beg the question of proof.

As Rene Richie's sifu said once, and I paraphrase, "if all this internal KF stuff were true, China would win every medal in every Olympics."
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

taiji being for supermen
    Maybe it lives up to the hype ... if you have super powers, that is.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    As Rene Richie's sifu said once, and I paraphrase, "if all this internal KF stuff were true, China would win every medal in every Olympics."
    well, by that logic, Betamax would have won out over VHS...