Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: just a question

Quote Originally Posted by Rojcewicz View Post
    yes, it is born from movies but that doesn't make it any less meaningful for although the characters are not real, the concepts and principles which they capture are; thats what interested me.
    What I'm trying to get at is those principles, concepts and beliefs were likely NOT to have been held by the people portrayed in those movies. A lot of that stuff is just for good dramatic effect. The fantasy and the reality are two completely different things. If you like the fantasy, that's cool; but using that as justification for the disparaging of the reality of other styles, not-so-much...

DJ

I hear it's not ghey if you don't maintain eye contact...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    What I'm trying to get at is those principles, concepts and beliefs were likely NOT to have been held by the people portrayed in those movies. A lot of that stuff is just for good dramatic effect. The fantasy and the reality are two completely different things. If you like the fantasy, that's cool; but using that as justification for the disparaging of the reality of other styles, not-so-much...

DJ

I hear it's not ghey if you don't maintain eye contact...
    your right, but I only ever ment to speak in the realm of fantasy. If Pei Mei like master actually existed is entirely questionable but what does exist is their mythology. What Im simply stating is that I prefer the mythology of kung fu to that of MMA. I feel in MMA their is a considerable lack of interesting mythology although the actual style is entirely respectably. For me though, I wanted to follow the mythology I had fallen in love with; after all, what you imagin becoming (realistic or not) is an important part of anything which takes continues work to achieve.
    Last edited by Rojcewicz; 04-22-2008 at 02:27 PM.

[QUOTE=Rojcewicz;855905]

i started in tkd at like age 6 so coolness came in first with "the mighty morphin power rangers"
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I was born cool, I'll die cool, thus as a by product, my kungfu is cool.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

your right, but I only ever ment to speak in the realm of fantasy. If Pei Mei like master actually existed is entirely questionable but what does exist is their mythology. What Im simply stating is that I prefer the mythology of kung fu to that of MMA. I feel in MMA their is a considerable lack of interesting mythology although the actual style is entirely respectably. For me though, I wanted to follow the mythology I had fallen in love with; after all, what you imagin becoming (realistic or not) is an important part of anything which takes continues work to achieve.
    This is a similar aspect to shamanism, which is also a large part of kungfu itself...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    This is a similar aspect to shamanism, which is also a large part of kungfu itself...
    really? how so?

really? how so?
    Many styles of chinese martial arts are based on animals. Animal movements, as well as the spirit of the animal.

Such as in, tiger style, you draw into your being the spirit of the tiger. The ruthless, merciless aspects that the tiger embodies in combat or on the hunt. The strength of the tiger is something we strive to 'become' when we perform or utilize our tiger methods.

Or, for instance, if we seek the crane, we will try to embody the tranquility and calm that the crane symbolizes.

The monkey's playful attitude and upbeat demenor, the dragons power and elusive wisdom...

All of these are aspects that are ingraned into the styles.

This is the aspect I refer to as 'shamanism', for in a sense it is.

Yet, these are merely tools. Not to be thought of in the sense a more mystical type of shamanism.

This mindset is a tool used to develop your studies.

As with you, in your case, you try to embody the spirit of these hero's to aid you in your persuits. such as the fictional pei mei. This gives you motivation, as well as a source to draw spiritual energy from. As he may not be a real guy, the spirit of his being is quite real.

This, IMO, is essentially the same thing. Although you are not mimicing 'pei mei' body movements, such as tiger style will mimic the movements of the animal. None the less, you still us the 'way' or 'spirit' of this mindset to aid you in a similar fashion.

This, of course, is all my own opinion and outlook. Not to be taken as anything other than that.

My, as well as many others, ancestors (germanic) used a similar method in their ways of war. They would infuse themselves with the spirit, or Wyrd, of their ancestors that fought before them, as well as call upon the power of their gods, through the use of carved Runes to aid them spiritually in combat.

IMO this is all very similar, though quite different in execution, the result being quite similar however.

Drawing from the spirit of an external source. Whether this be the spirit of an existant animal, a non existant animal, a past leader, a false god....what have you.

It is an attempt to use what is percieved as an aidful state of mind drawn from something that is held of asteem and high regard. Perhaps a specific quality an animal posesses, or a way of action a great man once served.

Speed of the puma, strength of the bear !

Hairdo of the common city chipmunk !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Speed of the puma, strength of the bear !

Hairdo of the common city chipmunk !
    I was actually waiting for:

The eye of the spiritual Tiger of the spiritual...

or something to that fashion.

I was actually waiting for:

The eye of the spiritual Tiger of the spiritual...

or something to that fashion.
    Kudos if you can name the Cartoon that was from.

Kudos if you can name the Cartoon that was from.
    I get no Kudo's. Didnt know it was from a cartoon, just that our resident John Takashi/Megafist/Megatroll/etc. always says it.

I get no Kudo's. Didnt know it was from a cartoon, just that our resident John Takashi/Megafist/Megatroll/etc. always says it.
    I meant the "speed of the puma, strength of the bear, eyes of the hawk" and so on..

yes I strive or wish to have the back of the tiger and the waist of the bear.

hu bei xiong yao.

white eyebrown mentioned was a mystical figure.

but white eyebrown daoist priest is very common.

bai mei dao ren or dao zhang.

they existed thruout history even today. I meant when a daoist priest gets old, they all get white hairs, white beards and white eyebrown.

I meant the "speed of the puma, strength of the bear, eyes of the hawk" and so on..
    Oh, LOL

wasnt that some old futuristic cowboy or indian or something.