Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This man has wing chun skills

This man has wing chun skills

Last edited by nelsonmarcelino; 04-22-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Oh Yea!

Yup, That brotha is alright. Where is he? London?
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

yeah, he's pretty good

see his angles? good wing chun is about knowing where the angles are and how to use them

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    Yup, That brotha is alright. Where is he? London?
    This is Michael Louison Sifu. He also has his own website here; http://www.wingchunart.co.uk/

Us London lads eh?!! I've heard very good things about Louison Sifu...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Thanks, mane!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    This is Michael Louison Sifu. He also has his own website here; http://www.wingchunart.co.uk/

Us London lads eh?!! I've heard very good things about Louison Sifu...
    Thank you very much for this!
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

Quote Originally Posted by jooerduo View Post
    yeah, he's pretty good

see his angles? good wing chun is about knowing where the angles are and how to use them

You can't tell how good anyone's WCK is by their forms or their chi sao. None of that reflects (or even develops) realistic WCK (fighting) skills. Have him spar with some good muay thai or MMA fighters and then you'll see what he can really do or not do. WCK is fighting. If you don't see fighting, then you aren't seeing WCK.

doesnt matter what you see or think your seeing ...all that matters is what your developing doing this drill...? is your energy at your wrists or your elbows ?

wrists or elbows ? do you seek contact with your wrists ? searching for a place to set up your chi ?

Terrence is correct, the demo of chi sau doesn't show how good he is at fighting. This is why there are lots of demos of chi sau but almost none of fighting. Simple really.

K gledhill, elbows/wrists is just speculation until someone does something with it

Exclamation Wtf !!????!!!??

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    You can't tell how good anyone's WCK is by their forms or their chi sao.

None of that reflects (or even develops) realistic WCK (fighting) skills.
    ...so do you train chi sao at all in your Wing Chun...if so then why?

Have him spar with some good muay thai or MMA fighters and then you'll see what he can really do or not do.
    ...This is getting very old. especially considering we havent seen anything of what you can do or not do. Im not even sure if you even practice martial arts, T.

WCK is fighting. If you don't see fighting, then you aren't seeing WCK.
    ....Yaaawwwnnnn!
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

Talking There is no doubt he has talent…

Lets face it Nelson, you put this guys clip in the wrong place or forum, and they are simply not ready for it, especially here in the U.S… See he has a problem, and it’s the same problem that stopped many people like him from being successful within there own right…

History will show that Europe has always accepted those of great talent, no matter what walks of life they’re from (just people)… See in most cases, not saying that this is one; the treatment that most talented people get (that’s like the talented sifu on the clip) is more or less a human problem…

But as martial artists, I’m sure we all can see the truth… There are many different system of wing chun, and it seem here that we are all beginning too accepted their existence, and I’m not saying that this is the case here; but if we can do that with wing chun, why cant we have the same tolerance with human existence?

That’s a good one Nelson, and I know how you think…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 04-23-2008 at 09:12 AM.

You can't tell how good anyone's WCK is by their forms or their chi sao. None of that reflects (or even develops) realistic WCK (fighting) skills. Have him spar with some good muay thai or MMA fighters and then you'll see what he can really do or not do. WCK is fighting. If you don't see fighting, then you aren't seeing WCK.
    I guess I would say this then:
    I enjoyed watching his Chi Sau. I think he has good hands in his Chi Sau / good Chi Sau skills.

I haven't seen him fight, so I don't know his fighting ability.

Cool?
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Some very cool and eye opening clips. Thanks for posting!

Greychaun,

I no longer do chi sao just like I no longer ride my bike with the training wheels on or recite my multiplication tables. I do, however, wonder about people who do continue to do these things.

Chi sao is nothing more than a learning platform for the various contact movements of WCK. You can't develop realistic (fighting) skills via chi sao, only via fighting/sparring (realistic training). Once you've learned the movement and can perform it in the unrealistic, artificial exercise that is chi sao, it is time to move on. To stay there, to continue doing chi sao, is to stop your growth in terms of developing fighitng skills. In fact, my view is that chi sao isn't even a very good learning platform.

Of course, don't take my word for it, just go to a good muay thai or MMA school, and see if you can do in fighting those things you can do so well in chi sao. You'll see. As guyb pointed out, we never see that posted on youtube. And for a very good reason.

The goal of martial art training is to develop fighting skills, not artificial, unrealistic drill skills. You don't judge how good a boxer is except through his performance boxing or a wrestler except through his performance wrestling. The only way to see skill, to see performance ability, is by and through performance. In the martial arts, that performance is fighting. If you can't do it in fighting, you have no skill.

You haven't seen me "in action" because you haven't come to see me. If you are interested, pay me a visit. Or, make it easier on yourself and go to a good MMA or MT school and see. Either way, you'll get the same experience.

I'm sorry, but this really doesn't make sense to me. How does training in the forms and doing chi sao (basically learning Wing Chun) not develop Wing Chun fighting skill? What is the point of learning the form then? The reason you learn the forms really well is so that they hold up under pressure when you really need them. The same reason a basketball player will practice free throw shooting with nobody else in the gym. Now maybe you're right and some guy with great forms will freeze or let it all go down the drain in a fight. Who knows? But I don't see how you can say that the forms don't develop Wing Chun skill. Keep in mind that a lot of people train in Martial Arts without actually wanting to fight. That doesn't mean they have no skill. I think people are a little hung up on fighting and competition. Can't we just focus on the art? Maybe a forum is the wrong place to try and do that.

In regards to the free throw analogy, Shaq was a great free throw shooter in the gym, doing the drills and we all saw how he was during the game.
    Magic Johnson and Larry Bird ( to name just two), had excellent % in both drills AND game time.
    The difference?
    During the drills MJ and LB did them as if they were in a game.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !