Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: This man has wing chun skills

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    Show me where I’m angry: see this is what I have been saying all along, everyone here is defending his position, and I am the only one angry (LOL)…

History will always show when a person such as myself stands up for himself or his position no matter if its physical, verbal or other wise, we are always said to come off hostel or angery… (LOL)

And told to take whatever the man gives but never debate or talk back, or you will be consider hostile and need to be controlled and set back in you place…

Entertain yourself I’m no monkey, most of you never had a street fight in your lives, I can tell by the way most of you talk… I have nothing else too prove and I’m not fighting just because you want me too… When I did want too post a clip it was rejected…

Everyone here knows you guys will say just about anything…

Ali Rahim.
    **And he wonders why I said let's hope no one actually gets angry about this internet stuff....

Defending your position and going on the verbal offensive are two totally different things.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Talking Lol

You guys are just playing around right?

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Greychaun,

I no longer do chi sao just like I no longer ride my bike with the training wheels on or recite my multiplication tables. I do, however, wonder about people who do continue to do these things.

Chi sao is nothing more than a learning platform for the various contact movements of WCK. You can't develop realistic (fighting) skills via chi sao, only via fighting/sparring (realistic training). Once you've learned the movement and can perform it in the unrealistic, artificial exercise that is chi sao, it is time to move on. To stay there, to continue doing chi sao, is to stop your growth in terms of developing fighitng skills. In fact, my view is that chi sao isn't even a very good learning platform.

Of course, don't take my word for it, just go to a good muay thai or MMA school, and see if you can do in fighting those things you can do so well in chi sao. You'll see. As guyb pointed out, we never see that posted on youtube. And for a very good reason.

The goal of martial art training is to develop fighting skills, not artificial, unrealistic drill skills. You don't judge how good a boxer is except through his performance boxing or a wrestler except through his performance wrestling. The only way to see skill, to see performance ability, is by and through performance. In the martial arts, that performance is fighting. If you can't do it in fighting, you have no skill.

You haven't seen me "in action" because you haven't come to see me. If you are interested, pay me a visit. Or, make it easier on yourself and go to a good MMA or MT school and see. Either way, you'll get the same experience.
    So you sort of a football linemen sort of Wing Chun style take no prisoners way.So how do you teach beginners? Chi Sao is a process.

t_niehoff

You say that Chi Sau is next to useless as training for fighting, so do you have the same dim view of wooden dummy training too? To me, both are good training tools for learning. Application in combat situations is just the next step. If we just go straight to freeform combat our techniques would be sloppy because we didn't take the time to learn the right structures and responses.

I do agree with you that many (waaaay too many) WCK practitioners keep themselves too far removed from actual fighting and delude themselves about their own abilities in this regard.

Also, if you have such a high regard for MMA, why do you practice WC at all? Please post some video of your training techniques, so that we can see what you do to learn to fight. I really would like to see this as your numerous posts are very adamant about the superiority of your way of training and it would be nice to have some context to your vociferous arguments. Is that an unreasonable request?

If we just go straight to freeform combat our techniques would be sloppy because we didn't take the time to learn the right structures and responses.
    No one goes straight to free form per say, but look at boxers and wrestlers and what not, they are going at it sooner rather than later.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    No one goes straight to free form per say, but look at boxers and wrestlers and what not, they are going at it sooner rather than later.
    good point , is your vt like fighting ? or are you in a basic stance for x? months doing SLT not even knowing what for or even seen a knife ?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Agreed. Wing Chun schools often take too long to get to the sparring stage or application against resisting opponents (some schools never get there!), but no matter what stage you start sparring you still have to use drills or methodology to train correct use of techniques. Chi Sau is good for that (at the range it is intended for).