Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Judo guys in here?

Any Judo guys in here?

So techincally this is a chinese forum, but since this sub-title is about MMA, I was just wondering if there are any of you that currently or have in the past practiced Judo?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Shodan Kodokan Judo
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    no, but I can hum a few bars.

rolled with some judo guys in the jjj class I took and participated in their 'club' class several times.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I practiced Gorilla Waza for many moons

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    So techincally this is a chinese forum, but since this sub-title is about MMA, I was just wondering if there are any of you that currently or have in the past practiced Judo?
    What made you get an interest in Judo?

How often are you training (once per week, etc)?

How do you feel it has worked in with you Wing Chun?

I ask because there is a Judo club close to where I live and in the near future I might join.

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

What made you get an interest in Judo?
    Well, having done BJJ and loved every minute of it, I decided to check out a couple places here in town again. One of them was a Judo club--knowing that BJJ came from Judo Newaza, I checked it out and liked the fact that the throws would bridge the gap between standup and groundwork. So far it's awesome! The ONLY THING I don't like is their emphasis on the competitions and the olympics (this place has a lot of competitors and a couple of Olympic contenders); which limits some of the techniques used and the mindset of some of the practitioners from "real life" to "sport". I don't care about the latter.

Example, I took the back of a green belt the other day, got him in a rear naked choke, but didn't sinch it down since I had total control and to choke him was pointless other than to appease my sadism. The coach said that wouldn't work in a Judo competition since they would stand us back up (apparently in judo when your opponent is laying on his stomach and we're not moving it's considered a stalling move). So I said...well then next time I'll choke him completely to show the submission. I guess you can't be nice in competition either?

How often are you training (once per week, etc)?
    It will be 3 times a week eventually, but right now I only have time for once a week due to my work schedule being at night.

How do you feel it has worked in with you Wing Chun?
    It doesn't work with the wing chun really. Different ranges of combat. But it compliments it well given that each addresses a different aspect of fighting. They both focus on sensitivity of the opponent's movements to determine what action to take...pull a push and vice versa for judo, similar to how we react with tan or bong to the high or low fook in chi sao. Wing chun's upper body sensitivity works well with preparing to throw, but don't expect bare arms--big heavy gi in the way.

I ask because there is a Judo club close to where I live and in the near future I might join.
    I would HIGHLY recommend it.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 04-25-2008 at 10:00 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Shodan Kodokan Judo
    Hey Sanjuro, explain this to me:

What are the differences between the various types of Judo? Like Maeda Judo and Kodokan Judo? I had asked an assistant coach if the olympic Judo was kodokan judo and she said "there's only one Judo--and that's it. People that talk about a particular lineage of Judo are not really practicing Judo".

What's up with that?! I was reading on Judo info and there seems to be some preferences with certain moves that are emphasised in the varying judo circles, although the moves themselves are the same across the board it seems.

Hey Sanjuro, explain this to me:

What are the differences between the various types of Judo? Like Maeda Judo and Kodokan Judo? I had asked an assistant coach if the olympic Judo was kodokan judo and she said "there's only one Judo--and that's it. People that talk about a particular lineage of Judo are not really practicing Judo".

What's up with that?! I was reading on Judo info and there seems to be some preferences with certain moves that are emphasised in the varying judo circles, although the moves themselves are the same across the board it seems.
    There is one olympic Judo, Kodokan.
    There are different organizations, many are country specific.
    Style wise, currently, there are 2: Kodokan and Kosen.
    Kosen being judo with a major focus on ground work ( Ne Waza).
    Both are derived from the judo created by Kano.
    Kodokan Judo is still more focused on the Ippon, the perfect throw to end the match, but that is changing and many schools now do a very balanced 50-50 ratio.
    Maeda was a Kano student, his judo was Kodokan, though he add many other things to it.
    His autobiography is a cool read, Maeda: the toughest man who ever lived, or something like that.

The judo curriculum is standard, prioritzation is left to the head of the various dojo's.

Combat judo is a hybrid judo system ( though some call it pre-war Judo) that has all the elements of judo plus strikes and weapons.

As for lineage issues, there aren't any, it all comes from Kano in one way or another.
    Of course there were influences from the various JJ ryu's such as the Daito and in aikido.

I only ever did a very small amount of judo, but I did hurt my back (I still get spasms now over 5 years after) due to what I guess I would consider poor decision making on behalf of the instructor.

Nevertheless, Judo seems like a great art, enjoyable and worthwhile. But it can put a lot of stress on your back if some of the throws are not executed properly; so if you decide to start, just take it easy until you get used to what is going on. And despite what you may be asked to do in class, I highly recommend *not* throwing people far heavier than yourself until you have a firm grasp of the proper body mechanics.

BTW, good post Sanjuro, seen you making some great informative posts lately; but I havent seen any of your lady-pics recently! =)
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 04-25-2008 at 10:47 AM.

I would HIGHLY recommend it.
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I would be able to train in Judo far easier than BJJ due to scheduling, travel, etc.

I think for a stand-up fighter (and a person who DOES recognize the need for ground capabilities) such as myself, I would enjoy the 'clinch/throw' work. It would also help with keeping balance in the event of takedowns. This is just my 'idea' on it all right now. Keep us posted.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

BTW, good post Sanjuro, seen you making some great informative posts lately; but I havent seen any of your lady-pics recently! =)
    Ask and ye shall...

Very nice. But that's not JUDO!

Yea guys....I'll keep ya'll posted. Maybe I can keep this thread going for us Judo guys here. So far, I'm doing pretty well and with my previous experience in groundwork, jointlocking, and throws it should be an okay transition.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i might be mistaken but I think that you can still choke for submission to win a judo match as well as some joint locks...SR?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Some experience

I rolled a bit some time ago. One of the moves was the one which I'm sure we all used in the elementary school playground. I do not know the name but the move is executed by grabbing the lapel and sleeve and then tripping them by sweeping their leg from the rear.

One of my fav moves was the O-goshi. But my back isn't what it used to be
    Another interesting technique was the choke...I'll never forget the first time it happened. One minute your fine, then the next you are gasping for air and tapping like a a madman. Good times.

Then there was some grappling...mainly just keeping your opponent on the floor by sprawling, turning and utilizing your body weight. That was fun.

I don't remember the exact type of JUDO but I'm sure it was def competition based. At the time, I didn't know that the teacher I was under was such a big name but later on I found out. I'm sure Professor N. Higashi would recognize me if he saw me (and after I explain where he had seen me b4). That dude looked like he wrestled bears...tremendous presence. Plus, at the time I was studying Japanese, so I got to practice a bit by speaking with a native speaker. Good guy.

Apparently he's got some books published and he had mentioned while I was there that he did some tournaments in Las Vegas. But like I said before, it has been a while. Don't know what he is up to right now.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i might be mistaken but I think that you can still choke for submission to win a judo match as well as some joint locks...SR?
    You're right...but since I didn't make him tap by actually choking him...she said that it would've been a stall. That's why I told her "well I wasn't actually trying to choke him--just show that I could choke him (I had it all the way on...but didn't squeeze). I figured they'd all realize that there was no coming back from that....but I guess next time I'll just squeeze.