Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Judo guys in here?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    You're right...but since I didn't make him tap by actually choking him...she said that it would've been a stall. That's why I told her "well I wasn't actually trying to choke him--just show that I could choke him (I had it all the way on...but didn't squeeze). I figured they'd all realize that there was no coming back from that....but I guess next time I'll just squeeze.
    yea, and I don't know about you, but I just love that little 'chkgggrr' sound crunchies make when you compress their esoghagus...ah, a blissfull sound full 'o good memories and good times....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Holy crap dude you got some issues.

Personally, I like it when I have to faart and I get them in a triangle choke...they'll tap out one way or the other...
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

chkgggrr

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

When I was in high school, they started up a judo club. The schools about the state had been in compitition for years and so they decided to get some of the action. Of course in the early 60's most of the contact sports were played by the little rich kids mostly, and they didn't make room for the odd people like myself. I tried several times to get into the club but was not allowed in. The instructor was also the captian of the team and was not as good as he thought he was. They ended up calling up a guy from the nearby army base to coach them. I had a long background of Japanese Jujitsu and could teach them somewhat, but they wouldn't hear of it. They looked good in practice, but could not win a match against anyone. I would sit and watch them, and often made comments. Then one day one of them told me to put up or shut up, so I put up. I could do all the throws pretty well, and I had a whole list of parlor tricks I used to prevent being tossed. And besides, they started right in learning the throws before they could take a good fall. After tossing them around some and not allowing myself to be thrown, they decided to let me play. Then they let me compete. I did pretty good too. We didn't win much as a team effort, but I won a few matches myself. Then one night I had a similar experience with the choke and they didn't point me for it. I was told unless I got the submission it was simply holding. The very next fall I got a submission in about 5 seconds. I used my thumb and he was tapping with both hands and feet. I got disqualified and was not allow to compete for the rest of the year over that. I do not know what the difference is. I had to choke him to get the actual submission. The thumb was just a little added technique to get him to tap sooner.

Lee Chiang,

What sort of choke did you use that would implement a thumb? Couldn't have been a rear naked choke...perhaps a lapel choke?
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 04-28-2008 at 07:11 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

since the topic is Judo. Anyone catch the Shinya Aoki vrs Gesias Calvancanti fight? (the second)
    I have been watching Aoki for a some time. I really love his personality and his judo.
    His standup needs work and he is still progressing as a MMA fighter.. but I really enjoy watching him progress as a fighter. I can't wait to see him dominate the UFC.
    Maybe in a year or so...
    If he can develop a good standup game...
    Last edited by monji112000; 04-30-2008 at 07:36 PM.

current Judoka here.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Cool! Where do you train Dragon?

present

Yup,

Like that Judo too. I belong to an organization called Konan- also USJF. My home base is the TsutoMaru Judo club in Jackson... but, I practice in a couple of other clubs. Mostly the Michigan State University club. That's one thing I like about Judo- You can go to any Judo club and they fit you right in. You can't practice Judo alone- so all clubs are willing to take anybody who wants to practice.

The amount of Newaza that happens at a tourney depends mostly on your ref. Some like to allow you to work a little- others will stand you up right away.

Judo works well with Mantis. If you're Judo's old school and they have you do Nago No Kata- you see that Judo uses a "catch" that's identical to the Mantis Du Sau. Mantis's Intercepting Hand (Tu Sau) helps to transition grips.

My only regret with Judo is that I didn't start until I was 30 years old. I've been practicing 3 years and I'm a Ikkyu. I expect to get my Shodan within the year.

#20 04-27-2008, 11:45 PM
    Vankuen
    Registered User Join Date: Dec 1969

Lee Chiang,

What sort of choke did you use that would implement a thumb? Couldn't have been a rear naked choke...perhaps a lapel choke?

Van, this particular choke was what you would call a modified rear naked choke. I have several variations of just about every choke hold. The thumb can be used in most of them. The front naked choke can be extremely painful with a thumb rather than the wrist. The rear naked choke is not always a done deal unless you do something like the thumb gouge.
    Comes from Jap jujitsu. I studied it for many years also. It was the mother of Brazilian Jujitsu, and the mother of modern day Judo. Both were developed as a sport and are not complete as is Jujitsu.
    None the less, it seems that the thumb was an illegal application and it cost me the rest of the year as far as compitition.
    I am sure you know of the old parlor trick where the 5 year old child is impossible to lift? In case you are not familiar with it, if a small child were to stand erect and you placed your hands under his arm pits he can prevent you picking him up simply by placing hands on the undersides of your forarms and pressing from under them with his fingers. Gently lifting up against the forearms will make you have to lift your own weight. You can not do that. You can also apply this technique in judo by grabbing his gi or by putting your hand under his belt and lifting up as he attempts to throw. Takes a bit of practice to do it from different angles, and you also have to keep your center of gravity low. Makes it more difficult for him to move in under you. It is like trying to uproot a tree or something.

I got my yellow belt before coming to beijing two years ago. sinece then i've been doing shuai jiao. If I come back two the state for a few months I will be sure to take it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Cool! Where do you train Dragon?
    Sorry it took this long to reply. I don't get on here much anymore. I train at Alamo Judo.

www.alamojudoclub.org
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I am a sankyu in judo.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

de nada...

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !