Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any Judo guys in here?

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Absolutely. In some ways I feel that Kano may have made a mistake in doing the rule change...because I think that fighting should be naturally able to flow and find it's own course. IF people were finding themselves using newaza to overcome their opponents, why not let it be that way then? Perhaps Judo then would have become more like BJJ now...but still containing the throws. I think it would have been a better evolution that the modern sport judo. Either that or they need to get rid of the newaza time limits. It's such a waste of skill development when they do that. And WTF is up with no leg attacks?! I still haven't figured that one out.
    I bet that within our lifetime we'll see leg attacks and more freedom for Newaza in the official ruleset. The modern rules really are for the spectators, so as spectators expectations change, so will the rules.

Throws are good. Throws are fun. Properly executed throws can set you up for the ground game. I've been all about throws lately. And leg picks...
    And all that other good wrestling goodness.

Call it judo, shuai jiao, jiu jutsu or wrestling, it's all good.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.