Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Yiu Choi Lineage

interesting

Does your lineage train "golden rooster" or slt on one leg?

I'm going to say no. Post a youtube link to "Golden Rooster" if you can find one showing the form if you have a chance. I watched a vid some years ago wherein a practitioner was doing a one-legged SLT demo. Personally I thought it looked ridiculous. No wonder other martial arts schools scratch their heads when they see this stuff. * Chen Taiji Golden Rooster Stance:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJFZWXLGyt8
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 06-02-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    I'm going to say no. Post a youtube link to "Golden Rooster" if you can find one showing the form if you have a chance. I watched a vid some years ago wherein a practitioner was doing a one-legged SLT demo. Personally I thought it looked ridiculous. No wonder other martial arts schools scratch their heads when they see this stuff. * Chen Taiji Golden Rooster Stance:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJFZWXLGyt8
    Golden rooster, as I have seen in a book about the plum flower* poles, was just standing on one leg in the classic wing chun guard.. no form. Slt on one leg is in my lineage, never took it seriously though, but I seen that the lo kwai lineage done it, thought it may of been a mainland thing?

The article you posted mentioned the golden rooster, that's why I ask

*changed from blossom to flower*
    Last edited by T.D.O; 06-05-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    Golden rooster, as I have seen in a book about the plum blossom poles, was just standing on one leg in the classic wing chun guard.. no form. Slt on one leg is in my lineage, never took it seriously though, but I seen that the lo kwai lineage done it, thought it may of been a mainland thing?

The article you posted mentioned the golden rooster, that's why I ask
    SLT on one leg? Yep. That's basic stuff. And great training for your horse. Never heard it called golden rooster though.
    Can you post a pic or link to the book you mentioned? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    SLT on one leg? Yep. That's basic stuff. And great training for your horse. Never heard it called golden rooster though.
    Can you post a pic or link to the book you mentioned? Thanks!
    Certainly can https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/16231..._dp_1623175178

Though, you may have picked me up wrong, slt on one leg isn't in the book. Just standing on one leg, he calls golden rooster...

Personally I started training standing on one leg recently, I stopped training for a few years and well... lost the ability for one leg "stuff "
    Even though I was still doing bodyweight squats (close version on the way to one leg squats )
    Started back training with 2 gum sau behind the back (like ip man slt 2nd section) on one leg, someone mentioned on this site how good it felt on the lower back and I have to agree it does. So slt on one leg is next on my agenda.

I have a question regarding slt on one leg, how do you set your horse, if you don't mind me asking?

Seems it would be better to me to just spin on the heels ( turn the toes out ) and lift the leg from there, rather than going into YJKYM ( hoi ma I think people refer to this)
    Last edited by T.D.O; 06-05-2021 at 08:20 AM.

I have a question regarding slt on one leg, how do you set your horse, if you don't mind me asking?

Seems it would be better to me to just spin on the heels ( turn the toes out ) and lift the leg from there, rather than going into YJKYM ( hoi ma I think people refer to this)
    Thanks for the book link.

One leg squats are bruta! I used to be able to do those but can't anymore.

As for one leg SLT, yes, your foot should be turned to the outside slightly. And your horse is still sunken just a bit. For reference, it would be similar to how most open their horse at the beginning of the empty hand forms.

Hope that makes sense(?)

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    Thanks for the book link.

One leg squats are bruta! I used to be able to do those but can't anymore.

As for one leg SLT, yes, your foot should be turned to the outside slightly. And your horse is still sunken just a bit. For reference, it would be similar to how most open their horse at the beginning of the empty hand forms.

Hope that makes sense(?)
    It does my friend, and was what I was trying to describe, pretty hard when the not so obvious things have no name lol.

Thank you

The pic on the front of the book, is what he calls the golden rooster

What's the thought behind the arrow punch, if don't mind me asking?
    https://www.plumpub.com/kaimen/2013/...e-arrow-punch/

Not wing chun.. seems like a common training method for body linking.. in other styles.

though I thought in WC it was related to the pole? I take it that's only a IM WC thing since they do it in a pole stance?

Looking at the IM arrow punch, do you think that's where bruce got his jkd lead punch and side kick from??
    Last edited by T.D.O; 07-02-2021 at 04:13 PM.