Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Yiu Choi Lineage

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    No, not well traveled at all. All Wing Chun lineages are a combination of the southern Crane and Southern Snake styles. Yip Man's Wing Chun after he left the Mainland became the most streamlined, non-stylized version of the art. More Southern boxing and less animal-style in nature, like other schools, both North and South. I doubt if many of Ip Man's students identified with animal nature while learning the martial art or that it would be much of a consideration today. If you want to see what I am referring to , just take a look at the Snake and Crane styles individually as they are taught today. Very stylized (animal nature) and not so much Westernized boxing in appearance. That's all I'm saying.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PCRm10thMs
    Not a video worth watching with the sound down lol, I'll need to watch it later when there's no one to annoy.

was it ip man that westernized it? or maybe WSL? from what I read from practitioners of WSL's everything is based around the punch, though I don't really know much of the history of it all, but is there not 2 periods associated with ip Man's hk teachings??
    Last edited by T.D.O; 02-23-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Ha! No, From what I've read it would not have been Master Ip or any of the old school Sifu's that would have popularized any of the Kung Fu arts for street fighting with emphasis on boxing. Now, WLS, William Cheung, Bruce Lee, Hawkins Cheung ... a different story. They evolved in Hong Kong developing their skills during a time when sport fighting was really starting to take off around the world, slowly but surely. Just like rock 'n roll.
    * Based on interviews with Ip Man's Foshan, Mainland students (10 or so) you would have to say that they learned a more "Foshan style" and those who learned in Hong Kong, a more streamlined (civil) version of the same base art. Just as effective considering the teacher.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 02-23-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Ha! No, From what I've read it would not have been Master Ip or any of the old school Sifu's that would have popularized any of the Kung Fu arts for street fighting with emphasis on boxing. Now, WLS, William Cheung, Bruce Lee, Hawkins Cheung ... a different story. They evolved in Hong Kong developing their skills during a time when sport fighting was really starting to take off around the world, slowly but surely. Just like rock 'n roll.
    * Based on interviews with Ip Man's Foshan, Mainland students (10 or so) you would have to say that they learned a more "Foshan style" and those who learned in Hong Kong, a more streamlined (civil) version of the same base art. Just as effective considering the teacher.
    Makes sense, from the 2 or 3 fights that ive read about of ip Man's, he always seemed to end them with a throw, the praying mantis one and one that joy had mentioned on this site. looking at that black and white picture of WSL that you see kicking about (well I do lol) he looks more westernized in stance, and I believe done most of the teaching in ip Man's class near the end.

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    Interesting video. I wonder what she meant by "only 8 movements"?
    I would also like her to elaborate on that, the only thing that would come to mind would be structures, maybe only 8 different types??