Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Yiu Choi Lineage

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    No, not well traveled at all. All Wing Chun lineages are a combination of the southern Crane and Southern Snake styles. Yip Man's Wing Chun after he left the Mainland became the most streamlined, non-stylized version of the art. More Southern boxing and less animal-style in nature, like other schools, both North and South. I doubt if many of Ip Man's students identified with animal nature while learning the martial art or that it would be much of a consideration today. If you want to see what I am referring to , just take a look at the Snake and Crane styles individually as they are taught today. Very stylized (animal nature) and not so much Westernized boxing in appearance. That's all I'm saying.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PCRm10thMs
    Not a video worth watching with the sound down lol, I'll need to watch it later when there's no one to annoy.

was it ip man that westernized it? or maybe WSL? from what I read from practitioners of WSL's everything is based around the punch, though I don't really know much of the history of it all, but is there not 2 periods associated with ip Man's hk teachings??
    Last edited by T.D.O; 02-23-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Ha! No, From what I've read it would not have been Master Ip or any of the old school Sifu's that would have popularized any of the Kung Fu arts for street fighting with emphasis on boxing. Now, WLS, William Cheung, Bruce Lee, Hawkins Cheung ... a different story. They evolved in Hong Kong developing their skills during a time when sport fighting was really starting to take off around the world, slowly but surely. Just like rock 'n roll.
    * Based on interviews with Ip Man's Foshan, Mainland students (10 or so) you would have to say that they learned a more "Foshan style" and those who learned in Hong Kong, a more streamlined (civil) version of the same base art. Just as effective considering the teacher.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 02-23-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Ha! No, From what I've read it would not have been Master Ip or any of the old school Sifu's that would have popularized any of the Kung Fu arts for street fighting with emphasis on boxing. Now, WLS, William Cheung, Bruce Lee, Hawkins Cheung ... a different story. They evolved in Hong Kong developing their skills during a time when sport fighting was really starting to take off around the world, slowly but surely. Just like rock 'n roll.
    * Based on interviews with Ip Man's Foshan, Mainland students (10 or so) you would have to say that they learned a more "Foshan style" and those who learned in Hong Kong, a more streamlined (civil) version of the same base art. Just as effective considering the teacher.
    Makes sense, from the 2 or 3 fights that ive read about of ip Man's, he always seemed to end them with a throw, the praying mantis one and one that joy had mentioned on this site. looking at that black and white picture of WSL that you see kicking about (well I do lol) he looks more westernized in stance, and I believe done most of the teaching in ip Man's class near the end.

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    Interesting video. I wonder what she meant by "only 8 movements"?
    I would also like her to elaborate on that, the only thing that would come to mind would be structures, maybe only 8 different types??

Just received my copy (KFM entry sweepstakes win) of the publication : The Martial Arts of Vietnam by Sifu Augustus John Roe. This paperback-bound edition is an overview of the history and styles of the country and comprises mostly on researched material about the original styles that were developed before the migratory influence of outside hand to hand disciplines originating in other nations of Asian descent and cultural heritage. * I will add more to this thread about the videos I will be posting but will sign off for now and return when I have more time . Of the Yuan brothers of Foshan, the eldest had moved to Vietnam to become the greatest proponent of Wing Chun in the region. :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN_Cxlztjog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48dSa9ZAdIA

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._138522637.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuen_Chai_Wan
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 04-22-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Just received my copy (KFM entry sweepstakes win) of the publication : The Martial Arts of Vietnam by Sifu Augustus John Roe. This paperback-bound edition is an overview of the history and styles of the country and comprises mostly on researched material about the original styles that were developed before the migratory influence of outside hand to hand disciplines originating in other nations of Asian descent and cultural heritage. * I will add more to this thread about the videos I will be posting but will sign off for now and return when I have more time . Of the Yuan brothers of Foshan, the eldest had moved to Vietnam to become the greatest proponent of Wing Chun in the region. :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN_Cxlztjog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48dSa9ZAdIA

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._138522637.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuen_Chai_Wan
    the second movement in the 8 brocade is off its nut lol

I like the slt... very snake like

Hey, T.D.O. Glad you like the vids I am posting, Yes the SLT is noticeably GrandMaster Yui Choi in nature but to my surprise "very GreatGrandMaster Yuan Chai Wan" in content, overriding the trademark characteristics of Yui Choi SLT execution. When I say this, Yui Choi was the student of Master Yuan Chai Wan for his complete training in Red Boat WingChun that originated from the most skilled Masters in the verifiable WingChun Pantheon. That said, I can tell you that one can spot the lineage characteristics and signature style of the WingCun Masters in The Siu Lim Tao set more than any other display of form or technique. When I say this, I am referring to the first vid I posted showing the demonstration of the set that for most practitioners would seem (right from the git-go) unusually different from what they are used to seeing, not only in sequence but also in the emphasis or extension or lack of ... than other SLT sets performed by other school practitioners.
    What I find most fascinating (to be continued)*.....
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 04-23-2021 at 05:41 PM.

The Sifu in the video appears to have a substantial background in Shaolin Qigong and Buddhist temple affiliation in Vietnam. The signature content of the SLT form he is demonstrating is very much GreatGrandMaster Yuan Chai Wan WingChun lineage style but is also quite different than Yuen Kay San transmission or Yiu Choi Foshan SLT form in some very unique ways.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6su5fLj1G5Y Yiu Choi family descendant and : Yuen Kay San Successor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfCsuKc0BHs
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 04-24-2021 at 03:41 PM.

it's funny how different, all the fook sau and bong sau, are from each other... I don't know if its just the angle, but I don't like the look of the yui choi bong

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    it's funny how different, all the fook sau and bong sau, are from each other... I don't know if its just the angle, but I don't like the look of the yui choi bong
    Having asked my instructor about bong and tan sau while learning the SLT set, the answer was " for blocking high and blocking low incoming strikes. (wox on wox off muscle memory)I asked why the repetitious fook sau sequence and was told that, within the lineage it is known as "Little cannon " and is used to repel (center) opponent that is pressing in way too close, allowing you to free up the extended arm for a (wrist rotation) palm or fist strike for good measure (since you have them at your doorstep).
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 04-27-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Having asked my instructor about bong and tan sau while learning the SLT set, the answer was " for blocking high and blocking low incoming strikes. (wox on wox off muscle memory)I asked why the repetitious fook sau sequence and was told that, within the lineage it is known as "Little cannon " and is used to repel (center) opponent that is pressing in way too close, allowing you to free up the extended arm for a (wrist rotation) palm or fist strike for good measure (since you have them at your doorstep).
    * Remember that SLT techniques are usually hidden from the casual observer as was the practice of all kung fu Masters and form origination during turbulent times of secrecy. Not to mention it was illegal even to practice these things at that time in China's history let alone showing intent.

* Remember that SLT techniques are usually hidden from the casual observer as was the practice of all kung fu Masters and form origination during turbulent times of secrecy. Not to mention it was illegal even to practice these things at that time in China's history let alone showing intent.
    I have a theory... one of many.. as you'll no doubt of noticed ... that slt was designed to look and act like a Dao yin for that reason, just a theory that came to mind when I noticed that a lot of Dao yin looks similar and does similar 3 one way 3 the other way sequences, ive never seen a set that has ygkjm

Does your slt have 108 movements?

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    I have a theory... one of many.. as you'll no doubt of noticed ... that slt was designed to look and act like a Dao yin for that reason, just a theory that came to mind when I noticed that a lot of Dao yin looks similar and does similar 3 one way 3 the other way sequences, ive never seen a set that has ygkjm
    Yes, LOL, a lot like Yang Taiji looks like a slow dance sequence exercise for old-people type NeiGong. Whenever I see a video of multiple students performing the SLT set, all I can think of is: "Well, that looks pretty harmless." ...... as opposed to watching Tae kwon do or a Karate performance wherein the intent is pretty clear. * Never counted number of movements in Yiu Choi SLT.
    "108" is a sacred number in the Hindu Religion of India and could be a carryover from Buddhist numerology also.
    http://benotdefeatedbytherain.blogsp...e-culture.html
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 04-30-2021 at 04:05 PM.

"108" is a sacred number in the Hindu Religion of India and could be a carryover from Buddhist numerology also.
    Thanks for that, I once asked before on this site.. and had a cryptic answer from joy lol

the only other info ive found on it was, that when the Buddhist monks were leaving the temple, they had to perform "108" techniques on "108" different wooden men in order to be able to leave and that it was homage to them, but whoever came up with that fable forgot that the dummy form has "116" techniques.