Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aerobic = Bad

Aerobic = Bad

Six reasons why aerobic work is counterproductive Print E-mail

Getting Maximum Results

As a Strength Coach and a Personal Trainer for 15 years, I’ve had a chance to see many fitness enthusiasts workout at many gyms in my local area and throughout the country. At any given gym or fitness center, the one thing that I notice is how you see the same people doing the same workouts month after month, year after year. The amazing thing is that these people continue to look the same or they are actually looking worse aesthetically. This is especially true with the constant performance of continuous aerobic work.

What’s sad about this is that they feel like they are doing everything necessary to get the result they are looking for. They are resigned to the fact that this is how it’s going to be and there isn’t anything that can be done to correct their deficiencies. If you were to ask them what results they would like to get out of their workout, the number 1 answer is “losing weight or getting thinner.”

When I am asked what it takes to look “fitter,” the first question I ask is: “How long have you been doing your current training program?”

The usual answer I receive is “somewhere between 6 and 12 months.” The typical program they follow is “30 – 60 minutes of continuous aerobic work 3 to 5 times per week.”

Our training tells us that this is not a good approach to take for the client seeking improving results over time. World renowned strength guru Charles Poliquin has identified 6 reasons why aerobic training is counterproductive to fat loss:

(1) Continuous aerobic work plateaus after 8 weeks of training so anything more is counterproductive.

This is quite an “eye opener” for most people who immediately recognize that they may have been wasting their time for such an extended period. To quote Charles, “using this principle in preparation for the 92 Olympics, the Canadian Alpine Ski team actually surpassed the Cross-country team on aerobic scores as measured by third party University labs.” Who wouldn’t want to perform as well as the Canadian Alpine ski team?

(2) Aerobic training worsens power locally and systemically – in other words, it can make you slower.

If you are an athlete or a “weekend warrior” who likes to participate in athletic events or team sports that require speed and jumping ability, this is the last thing you want from a cardiovascular training program. Coach Poliquin adds that “the more lower body aerobic work you do, the more your vertical jump worsens. The more upper body aerobic work you do, the more your medicine ball throws worsen.”

(3) Aerobic training increases oxidative stress which can accelerate aging.

According to Endocrinologist Dr. Diana Schwarzbein (author of The Schwarzbein Principle II ,) “oxidation” is a process that forms free radicals in the body. Normally the body can neutralize free radicals with substances known as antioxidants. It is only when there is an excessive build-up of free radicals that the body cannot neutralize all of the free radicals. This leads to changes to your metabolism which can accelerate aging.

(4) Aerobic training increases adrenal stress which can make you fatter and produce other undesirable health consequences

According to Dr. James Wilson (author of Adrenal Fatigue – The 21st. Century Stress Syndrome,) “normally functioning adrenal glands secrete minute, yet precise and balanced, amounts of steroid hormones”. When one does too much continuous aerobic exercise, the adrenal glands are stressed in a way that can upset this delicate balance which could lead to adrenal fatigue. Adrenal fatigue is associated with such symptoms as: tiredness, fearfulness, allergies, frequent influenza, arthritis, anxiety, depression, reduced memory, and difficulties in concentrating, insomnia, feeling worn-out, and most importantly- with respect to this article - the inability to lose weight after extensive efforts.”

(5) Aerobic training increases body fat in stressed individuals by contributing additional stress.

If you are already going through a lot of stress in your life then adding more “stress” by doing too much continuous aerobic work will actually add more body fat thus making it hard to reach a weight-loss/body fat goal.

(6) Aerobic training worsens testosterone/cortisol ratio which impedes your ability to add fat burning lean muscle.

When the testosterone/cortisol ratio is lowered your ability to add lean muscle tissue, which helps to increase caloric expenditure, is again hampered making weight loss much more difficult. Coach Poliquin notes that “continuous aerobic work is basically exercise induced castration!”

Keith Alpert is a brilliant strength coach from the Boston area, who has a very strong record in the professional basketball area.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    if your body "knows" that it can expect to be stressed out in perpetuity, it will act that way...
    Adaptability is a biotch.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    good post, thanks.

but what is deemed 'continuous'?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

as much as i personally hate to do cardio, i dont agree with all of the post. i see far too many old people running marathons who are in great shape and generally in good spirits.
    where's my beer?

Aerobic exercise is great because it balances out the strength conditioning and provides the cardiovascular workout against modern sedentary society!

It is still the better of most exercise routines. I used to hate 'humping hills' when in the Corps but after awhile I got used to it and became like nothing. Now I have a big gut like most others my age, I realized I needed aerobic exercise to regain my youthful body, i.e. former youthful body.

yea, and roadies are a bunch of skinny *******s.

to further refine my question: yea, doing the same volume or intensity of aerobic exercise will definitely plateau after a short while. you have to keep pushing and getter faster over time for it to not do that.

plus, by changing up the volume and intensity (long slow days vs. short fast days vs. intervals vs. whatever else changes a major component of the exercise) would keep any plateau from happening. right?

it seems by his references he's talking about the standard gym bunnies doing their 30 minutes at level 8 3 times a week and not necessarily someone who is doing some aerobic training as part of an overall plan.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

In my opinion, we must have a balanced training regime, balanced with Strenght training, flexability, anerobic cardio - HIIT and your typical moderate paced aerobic activity.

I thought this article was interesting in the sense of how much things have changed in the fitness industry, not too long ago ( and still in some parts), aerobic activity was the THING.

Now we know that strength training is actually, in many cases, more crucial for health and that anerobic training actually build cardio and burns fat faster,

I skimmed that list.

I've heard the lowers testosterone thing before.

Weightlifting supposedly increases it.

I can attest to that. After time off, when I start lifting weights again my sex drive goes up a lot. But the few times I've done running, I just feel tired and want to sleep.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

runners run

swimmers swim

fighters fight

and lift stuff

and occasionally run
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

who you trying to kid? huh? lol

to put it super simple.

strength development comes from anaerobic activity more often than not.

You need cardio to shed fat and to build breathing endurance.

you cannot escape it. do your cardio you lazy mac users! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    In my opinion, we must have a balanced training regime, balanced with Strenght training, flexability, anerobic cardio - HIIT and your typical moderate paced aerobic activity.

I thought this article was interesting in the sense of how much things have changed in the fitness industry, not too long ago ( and still in some parts), aerobic activity was the THING.

Now we know that strength training is actually, in many cases, more crucial for health and that anerobic training actually build cardio and burns fat faster,
    right...even Miyagi said one must have balance

but, no one has yet to answer my question of what he meant by 'continuous'?

point being: I vary my cardio from 20-40 minutes as I can and as time allows...letting my daily life dictate whether I do a faster 20 or a slower 40.

and, if I increase the intensity at both ends of the spectrum then how can I plateau?

What is the credibility of the source(s)?

I only ask because EVERY runner I know is healthy, skinny, and definitely do not look old for their age. It seems that article goes against general health guidelines given to us over the years from MD's.

1) I can see this point as being true. But it's true with anarobic activity as well. You will eventually plateau and will need to shock the system with various attacks to get past those plateaus. I've been working out hard since January, and have made some great gains anarobically (went from flat benching 10 reps @ 135 10 reps @ 225 in four months-can hit 275 about 4 reps), and can now run 30 minutes straight on the treadmill (something I could not do before). My body fat percentage is less, but not as much as I lost when I was 6 weeks in boot camp with NO weightlifting. So there's something definitely wrong with my program in terms of burning fat--probably my diet.

2) Absolutely correct and very obvious when you train.

3) Slow paced aerobic activity will always hurt plyometric performance. I typically will run intervals and sprints and use the heavy bag for my fighting endurance. Seems to provide better results for the task in mind. Funny though...why do boxer's perform so well with so much endurance running in their regimens?

4) Although this seems legitimate because it's sourced from an MD, I don't see evidence of it in any of the folks that I know are runners. They generally are in good moods and are in no way overweight or even pudgy. I can see this being true perhaps in people that might be marathon runners or something...as the body will burn muscle for energy instead of fat...and their bodies are being taxed far beyond safe levels with the extent of running they do.

5) Same as above. I have never met a fat person that runs on a consistent basis.

6) Um...I have NEVER had a problem in this area when I was running more, nor am I having a problem now with this when I do my long distance running days (long distance being relative to my abilities). In fact, in the military when I ran and marched all the time, I got skinny and lost a lot of my fat percentage...so I simply don't understand where some of these claims are coming from.

Was there a study done for all of these claims or just some of them? What sort of results have you guys found in each of these claims?
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 05-06-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Many people that "also run" or use running as the main focus of their "fat burning regime" tend to get many of those symptoms, and like all things, many don't.
    You do realize this was written by a strength coach...

The person who wrote that article needs to die
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    The person who wrote that article needs to die
    I am sure he will, like we all do.