Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lohan School of Shaolin.....

Lohan School of Shaolin.....

Las Vegas. Anyone here go there or know anything about them other than what is provide on their site, flyers,etc.? Thank you.

Can you provide a web link, the one I found isn't connecting. The only information I could find was on yelp.com and from the discriptions of students who trained there it seems to be an average martial arts school. If you're looking for Shaolin try http://www.kungfuchan.com/

It's a good school run by a senior classmate of mine.
    http://www.myspace.com/lohanschool
    Last edited by Lokhopkuen; 04-29-2008 at 01:39 AM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Do they teach real authentic kung fu or is it the flashy wu shu with all the acrobatic crap?

It's a good school that has a few different styles in its curriculum. You should go down and check them out, that's the only way you'll know if the school is for you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Do they teach real authentic kung fu
    i think you should know the answer to that based on the name of the school alone.

and what almost a ghost just said.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Thats the problem with these kung fu schools that are opening up and owned by a "Shaolin monk". They are claiming to teach authentic traditional kung fu but what they are really teaching is the flashy wu shu style. What makes it really bad is that the students there think that it is authentic traditional kung fu.

more common are the schools that teach a number of different styles that have nothing to do with shaolin gongfu- traditional nor modern, but call their school shaolin.

sometimes those styles are real chinese styles, like hunggakyun or mantis styles, and the teacher is a "master" of all of them, as well as the internal styles of baguazhang, xingyiquan, and various taijiquan systems, but sometimes they are just karate in a gongfu suit.

either way its not shaolin but is being passed off as such. there are certain red flags. once you've seen the fraud game in the martial arts world for long enough you begin to pick up on them right away. especially if you know what's going on as far as traditional gongfu in shaolin right now.

any school that claims to teach the full shaolin luohan system, along with several other styles, is one such school to be weary of.

if you notice, their symbol has a mantis on it, and the taiji symbol (yinyang) which has nothing to do with shaolin or buddhism. and it also talks about southern animal styles which are popular styles among frauds for the cool & authentic factor. and of course they use the shaolin name.

there are enough red flags here, i think. this is one school i think i would ignore. i'd rather do modern prc wushu with some shaolin kid monks.

if you notice, their symbol has a mantis on it, and the taiji symbol (yinyang) which has nothing to do with shaolin or buddhism. and it also talks about southern animal styles which are popular styles among frauds for the cool & authentic factor. and of course they use the shaolin name.
    I don't know much this will alter your opinion but the head Sifu does teach northern and southern forms but goes the extra step and makes the distinction and explains why he has a few southern forms but favors the northern systems. This isn't a guy with a hodge podge of forms he learned at various seminars/handful of shaolin trips/school jumping/learn at home programs/etc, and it's really sad to hear him be grouped with such people.

can you name the styles he teaches and his lineage in them and why they are called "lohan school of shaolin"?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    can you name the styles he teaches and his lineage in them and why they are called "lohan school of shaolin"?
    If you look at their myspace page you'll see the list of styles and the names of some of the people they trace their lineage to.

http://www.myspace.com/lohanschool

This is also the myspace page of the school's Sifu Steven Baugh with pictures of him with some of his teachers.

http://www.myspace.com/sifudashi

Why are they called Lohan? Don't know, you'll have to ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost A Ghost View Post
    If you look at their myspace page you'll see the list of styles
    yes, as expected.

shaolin, wudang, mantis, yang style taijiquan, chen style taijiquan, baguazhang, xingyiquan.

Why are they called Lohan? Don't know, you'll have to ask them.
    i'm afraid i know the answer.

seen these too many times.

Sorry....

Just wanted your opinions about the school .I was in LV a couple of weeks ago and stopped in . I met a few people , not the master. They are doing authentic CMA . I liked it.Thanks .

yeah, like every style of cma.

http://youtube.com/user/lohanshinobu

(nice outfits too)

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    more common are the schools that teach a number of different styles that have nothing to do with shaolin gongfu- traditional nor modern, but call their school shaolin.

sometimes those styles are real chinese styles, like hunggakyun or mantis styles, and the teacher is a "master" of all of them, as well as the internal styles of baguazhang, xingyiquan, and various taijiquan systems, but sometimes they are just karate in a gongfu suit.

either way its not shaolin but is being passed off as such. there are certain red flags. once you've seen the fraud game in the martial arts world for long enough you begin to pick up on them right away. especially if you know what's going on as far as traditional gongfu in shaolin right now.

any school that claims to teach the full shaolin luohan system, along with several other styles, is one such school to be weary of.

there are enough red flags here, i think. this is one school i think i would ignore. i'd rather do modern prc wushu with some shaolin kid monks.
    What is to beware of is someone like yourself who has strong opinions based on a lack of knowledge...

The Lohan School is headed by Master Stephen Baugh. The man is a good natured Dharma practitioner. A former student of Ken Hui of the Northern Shaolim, A long time student of Kam Yuen of the Tai Mantis Association and a couple of other respected traditional teachers. He is sincere in practice as he is in instruction and he is respected in the REAL traditional martial arts world.

Tis best sometimes that if you do not know what you are talking about to maybe just STFU.

I do hope some of you people who type a lot and practice a little can try to stop being such big mouthed hatters. Stop creating problems and start contributing some positive elements to these martial art forums.

Practice Wu Di Martial Virtue. Martial art is about raising the spirit and increasing consciousness. it is not about petty competitive musings and attempting to gain undue influence, power and control over other people.

WWWII
    Last edited by Wildwoo; 05-03-2008 at 07:31 AM.