Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lohan School of Shaolin.....

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    you havent been reading along.

this school is named "lohan school of shaolin". i think thats completely misrepresenting shaolin because the school has no apparent connection to the temple and the luohan system is not completely known by anyone anymore. therefore, its a lie and misuse of the shaolin name ($$$). i would say that is indeed misrepresenting!
    Guess you haven't been to Shaolin lately speaking of misrepresenting.
    The place is like Disneyland for gung fu. I liked the people who followed me around the forest of pagodas (a grave yard) trying to sell me beads and carved Buddha's....

You should get back to St. Louis as soon as possible bro!

Hey doesn't your Sister work at 17th and Del Mar on the corner? That's not a very good neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwoo View Post
    So I guess no video?
    and i guess no show in st louis?

Guess you haven't been to Shaolin lately speaking of misrepresenting.
    The place is like Disneyland for gung fu.
    doesnt change the fact that there are still active lines of transmission of teachings from traditional masters who still live in the temple behind all that mess. and yes, i've been there lately. thats why i'm not going to be back in st louis until july.

Hey doesn't your Sister work at 17th and Del Mar on the corner?
    no, none of my family lives over there. and i've been living in st. louis less than a year myself.

and its funny, there's a school in st louis almost by the same name "shaolin lohan school of kung fu", with the luohan that have been in existence for over 1,650 years teaching shaolin gongfu- you know, the martial arts from the shaolin temple that has only been around for 1,500 years. lol, you should have a look at their "rite of 35 chambers"- each sash rank, representing the cycle of the sun.

http://www.shaolinkungfu.org/art.asp

oh dear.

Actually " Luohan Shaolin" is not a name of a 'system'. "Luohan Shaolin" was simply a shortened name for some sets practiced at Shaolin such as in Luohan Ma Deng Cao (羅漢馬操) or Luohan Kai Men (羅漢開門). "Luohan Shaolin" is also used as a shortened form of "Shaolin Luohan Men 少林羅漢門", a term used in referring lineages of Shaolin martial arts begun by Shaolin Monastery monks. The term 'men" (gateway/sect/school) is an old Chinese way of referring to a lineage, of martial arts, religious sect, or academic tradition, etc. In this case, "men 門" referes to a 'school' or 'sect' that came out of the 'gate' of Shaolin – a sect or school with a lineage which came out of Shaolin Monastery.

There is also a Shaolin based style called "Luohan quan 羅漢拳" developed by monk Miao Xing. Xing served as a regimental commander (and who assumed the arguable role of abbot of Shaolin) during the early 1920's during a military campaign to wipe out bandits in the vicinity of Shaolin. Xing's lineage however, does not have exclusive usage of the descriptive term "Luohan Shaolin" nor does the contemporary PRC Shaolin Monastery, who's recent compilations come from 'lay' village masters.

rik zak
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 05-10-2008 at 08:39 PM.

and i guess no show in st louis?

doesnt change the fact that there are still active lines of transmission of teachings from traditional masters who still live in the temple behind all that mess. and yes, i've been there lately. thats why i'm not going to be back in st louis until july.

no, none of my family lives over there. and i've been living in st. louis less than a year myself.

and its funny, there's a school in st louis almost by the same name "shaolin lohan school of kung fu", with the luohan that have been in existence for over 1,650 years teaching shaolin gongfu- you know, the martial arts from the shaolin temple that has only been around for 1,500 years. lol, you should have a look at their "rite of 35 chambers"- each sash rank, representing the cycle of the sun.

http://www.shaolinkungfu.org/art.asp
    Your Master should be so proud as the Sprit of Shaolin lives well with-in you buddy.
    Buddhist precepts radiate from your core as you invite me to fight with you.
    When you return to the USA please stop through LA and maybe we could get together and rape a Nun or something LOL! You give me a woody you so funny.
    As far as the LV Lohans go, they could teach the Purple Barney fist, I don't really care I am just having fun at your expense buddy

wildwoo- i dont remember ever saying i've taken any buddhist precepts. you may like to keep that religious judgement to yourself.

r.(shaolin)- there is a shaolin luohan system. bits of it are still practiced in shaolin today as the most sacred forms. but much of it is only known through written records. the full system is not known anymore.

wildwoo- i dont remember ever saying i've taken any buddhist precepts. you may like to keep that religious judgement to yourself.

r.(shaolin)- there is a shaolin luohan system. bits of it are still practiced in shaolin today as the most sacred forms. but much of it is only known through written records. the full system is not known anymore.
    Yep. Wood.

there is a shaolin luohan system. bits of it are still practiced in shaolin today as the most sacred forms. but much of it is only known through written records. the full system is not known anymore.
    Although different martial arts set groupings were commonly practiced at Shaolin and I guess could be termed as 'systems', to my mind the term 'sub-systems' would be a better description for them. These comprised a number of sets, generally three, as little as two and up to as many as twelve sets. In some cases, one, two or three weapons would also be included. Mostly martial arts, which became part of Shaolin practice, were based on common basics and structure. Shaolin had its own 'basics" – Ji Ben Dong Zuo (基本動 作) which were the core of it's system. All martial arts practiced there conformed to them, including the Luohan sets. Even with sets from the secular world were changed to conform to them (generally Shaolin did not absorb entire systems). Buddhist signifiers openings and closings were add to these outside sets. In the case of sets which were developed at Shaolin, as with the Luohan sets, nomenclature referencing Buddhist symbols and metaphors was often used. In our tradition of Shaolin, the term "Luohan" refers to Puti Damo 菩提達摩 and comprises three sets (although there may have been others at one time): Luohan Kai Men 羅漢開門; Cao Fang Hua 草訪花; Luo Jiao Song Shan 落腳嵩山.

As well, I've never heard of these 'sub-systems' being designated or based on a hierarchy of sacredness. Terms like: upper (shang 上 – first of two parts) and lower (xia下 – second of two parts) or lesser (xiao 小) and greater (da 大) are used in describing set levels. Generally sets and set groupings in Shaolin which incorporated both "wuxing" and "bagua" were considered 'high' level or advanced.

As far as the so called "written records", I'm not sure how much credence they hold – most are based on relatively recent verbal traditions.

r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 05-10-2008 at 08:28 PM.

what "written records" are you referring to?

what "written records" are you referring to?
    Just in general - the kind of material one finds in Shi De Qian's Shaolin Encyclopedia but also in works like: Shaolin Si Ji; Shaolin Quanshu Mijue; Shaolin Zongfa; Quan Jin, Quan Fa Beiyao; Xuangji Mishou Xuedao Quan Jue and Xiwu Xu.

r.

As a student of the Lohan School of Shaolin in Las Vegas, NV, I thought that I would throw in my two cents on the "lohan" aspect. I know this thread is old but I wanted to add this information for anybody who might be searching and run into this thread. While we do actually learn one lohanquan form, that's not where our name comes from. It comes from what Lohan actually is, a enlightened wandering monk. Sigung Steven Baugh is a heavily spritual person and colocated with the kung-fu school is his Lohan Cultural Center where they teach classes on various schools of Buddhism, spirituality, etc. Even though we are a martial arts school, Sigung tries to embed the ideals of just overall being a good person. No, the focus isn't lohanquan, rather that we are striving to be lohans/spiritual warriors.