Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Food & Beer Thread*

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

The Official Food & Beer Thread*

ok, I promised this a few weeks ago but haven't had the time to have some folks over for dinner till tonight.

Oso's Jerk Chicken Wing Sauce(tm)

(modified from original. T=Tablespoon, t=teaspoon)

3 C Texas Pete
    2 Sticks Butter
    2 T Allspice
    2 T Garlic
    1 t Thyme, leaves
    1 t Thyme, ground
    1 t Cinnamon
    1 t Nutmeg
    1 t Clove, ground
    2 thumb sized habanero peppers

melt butter, add to Texas Pete
    mince peppers and add ( I like a medium heat, add more or use scotch bonnets if you like it hotter)
    wisk in the rest of the ingredients
    let it stand for an hour or more

I use canola oil to fry the wings in on a gas range and then bathe in the sauce before serving.

tonight menu is starting with a table red that sounded good w/ some aged gouda and wheat crackers.

then, fresh veggies sliced for snacking and dipping along with the wings:
    carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, green/red/yellow peppers

We'll drinking from a sampler pack of Clipper City Brewing's beers:

http://www.ccbeer.com/

*cuz I sez so, I'll be posting all my food and beer topics here, you should too.
    Last edited by Oso; 04-28-2008 at 04:01 AM. Reason: adjusted measurements
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

"Rich for a Poor Guy" Mexi-Ish Steak

1 Can - 12-15oz - Bush Baked Beans

5oz - Corn

5oz - mixed chopped tomatoes, green peppers, sauted onions

1 teaspoon - Pa's homemade Hot sauce (I seriously have no idea what goes in it. So, substitute a good quality store-bought. Not tobasco, though)

Big-Ass boneless sirloin

--------------------------

Prepare the beans and vegetable mix separately, before the steak. Mix together, plaec in glass bowl, covered in foil. Cook sirloin over open flame, until done to taste.

Cover steak in veggie/bean mix, enjoy.

-----------------------

I'm not a beer guy, so I have a nice big glass of Sierra Mist Free.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Warning

the above recipe is very strong in spices, it was the first time I tried to do it by measuring...the result was a very strong and moderately spicy wing sauce that everyone enjoyed, including a professional chef, but I found a bit heavy.

I would suggest 1/2 to 3/4 of the spices to the same volume of liquid if you are not a big fan of heavy spicing.

the beer was good, I like most of CC's beers I've had.

Vash: so, you don't drink the beer but drink some hi test sugar sub that is probably going to be found to cause cancer?

not diggin at you, I just really have a problem with all the sugar subs...something is bound to be wrong with a molecule that is so sweet you only need 1/600th of it to equal the same sweetness as normal sugar...but, that's not scientifically founded...oh, wait...sacharine...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Soon as Ronin gets here it will be the Official Food, Beer & Babes Thread.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Asian Lime Ribs (I don`t know what they mean by asian, but they`re mighty tasty)

2 racks of ribs 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
    1 Tbsp Kosher salt 1 Tbsp black Pepper
    1 Tbsp Ground Cloves 1 Tbsp Corriander

Mix the spices well, rub onto the ribs and let chill for at least one hour.

Put a wire rack in a lage cake pan or jellyroll pan and cover with foil. You`ll be glrilling these later, you don`t want `em to dry out. So seal the foil around the edge of the pan, you want they to sort of steam in thier own juices. The wire rack is to keep the from sitting in those juices and washing the rub off.
    Bake at about 300F for 40 min.

While they`re steaming, make the sauce.

3 Tbsp chopped ginger 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
    3/4 cup Rice vinegar 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    1/2cup ketchup 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
    1/3 cup lime juice 1/3 cup brownsugar
    1/4 hoisin sauce 2 Tbsp sesamee oil
    1 Tbsp red pepper flakes

Just mix it all well. Move the ribs to the grill and cook over a low fire. Slather on the sauce turning a couple timesto get a nice glazed look. Serve with extra sauce on the side for dipping.

I don`t drink......but I`d kill you all for a big plate of these babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Soon as Ronin gets here it will be the Official Food, Beer & Babes Thread.
    that'll be fine, the only reason man cooks is to attract women, they can't resist a man who cooks well.

Hey Oso

Does this Clipper City Brew taste as good as it looks? It is Monday morning at my desk and I got spit running down my face looking at the website. I`ll check with my distributor here to see if I can get my hands on one or two...

Nice wing recipe... wow two sticks of butter. I have to watch my cholesterol, and this recipe is the one two punch for sure, chicken wings and butter! It has to be tasty though.

Favor: Can you put your meat marinade back up, I lost my copy.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I work in a library at a school that has a culinary arts training program. We have many many recipe websites cataloged, I will share them whenever I get a moment to do so.....

We also have a ton of cookbooks from around the world! Working here makes me hungry.
    Bless you

I like my meat raw.

I mean sushi.

however, it is very tedious to prepare without getting food poisoning.

so I leave them to sushi chef at the restaurant.

they are kind of expensive in the states.

and that limit my visits.

I may find cheap price in Taiwan, those were the days.

--

I'm calling BS on Oso

You can't make real authentic jerk with habanero peppers. You just can't. You have to use scotch bonnet peppers for jerk. Oso's jerk is some kind of Texan wushu jerk, not real jerk. It lacks true killing power.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I spent sometime in the deep south.

they have half shelf raw oyster with the beer.

I was in heaven.

there are also jazz music in the city of new orlean.

who could ask for more.

oops.

yes the view of the river of mississippi.

--

I like to taste the real flavor of things. not a big fan or any kind of "sauces".

--

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You can't make real authentic jerk with habanero peppers. You just can't. You have to use scotch bonnet peppers for jerk. Oso's jerk is some kind of Texan wushu jerk, not real jerk. It lacks true killing power.
    qft.

scotch bonnets are the true anus washer.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

For yu shan

Yes, the Clipper City is pretty good stuff, I even like their hoppy stuff and usually I hate more hops than it takes to cut the sweet so it's not sticky.

Oso's Steak Marinade(tm)

2 parts Guiness Draft Can ( the Export stout is too bitter)
    1 Part Olive oil

the rest is to taste:

Worcestershire
    Garlic
    Salt
    Pepper

Ribeye's are my fav but I did some NY Strip recently as a request and they were ok.

12 hour minimum on the soak, if you decide sunday morning that you just have to have this on the grill sunday night, add 2 shots of Beam to hasten the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I work in a library at a school that has a culinary arts training program. We have many many recipe websites cataloged, I will share them whenever I get a moment to do so.....

We also have a ton of cookbooks from around the world! Working here makes me hungry.
    new rule: you must have actually at least TRIED to cook anything you post.

it doesn't matter if you succeed at it, you just have to try.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    you're absolutely right...but I tried at two different healthy/gourmet stores and the best they had were the habaneros. they added as much heat as I wanted personally...so feel free to substitute some scotch bonnets as you wish.

I was at a customer's house a week or so ago and they had some scotch bonnet's growing in a greenhouse...I should be able to snag some from them or even get a whole plant the next time I'm there.