Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Food & Beer Thread*

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    that'll be fine, the only reason man cooks is to attract women, they can't resist a man who cooks well.
    True. My second husband was a womanizing tool, but he could really cook.

Wild Game Soft Tacos
    2 lbs of wild game, ground twice (I like sheep best, but it's even good with antalope)
    sour cream
    shreaded chedar (sharp works best with wild game)
    Pace Picante sauce (hot or mild, your choice)
    1 T garlic salt
    1/4 t cardamom
    1 t paprika
    1/2 t red peper
    corn or flour torillas. (I like it with corn, but once, again, your choice)
    1 highball liccore of your choice

Take out frying pan. Take a sip of your drink. Brown the meat with all spices, taking sips of your drink as nessisary. No need to drain off the fat, wild game is actually very lean. Pre-heat tortillas in microwave, about 30 seconds for an average pack of 10. Place a tortilla on a plate, take another sip. Place approximatly 1/2 cup of the meat mixture in a line on one side of the tortilla, then add a smear or sour cream. Finish the drink. if nessisary, get another to finish. Add picante and cheese to taste. Attempt to roll into a burrito shape if you can or just fold it. How many it serve depends on your interpritation of "a half cup of meat." (Usually makes enough for 10) Since this is a Food and beer thread, enjoy your wild game soft taco with a brew of your choice.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

The key with scotch bonnets...

...is they have to be fresh. We actually have a grocery store that imports scotch bonnets nearby. But it's dried scotch bonnets which aren't nearly as good. In my experience, fresh scotch bonnets burn hot but clean. For a moment, they are like eating hellfire, but it subsides quickly and in typical masochistic pepper eating fashion, you can hardly wait to get another bite. I've found that freshness is key with all peppers. It's when they get preserved that they tend to get the lingering burn, especially the day after burn (yowch!) But freshness is key in any ingredient, yes? That's why I often find eating abroad much more flavorful, especially in countries like China or India where there is less available refrigeration.

OK, truth be told, I can't cook at all. I just wanted to chime in on jerk. I'll leave you all now to discuss more beer and food.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

2 simple liftin-man's meals:

tuna + egg

cant get much easier ... i'm surprised i hadn't actually thought of it before a buddy suggested it. just mix the two togeather and scramble in a pan. its good with some cheese melted in as well ... any kind. also makes for tasty sammich.

mashed potato and onion omlette

this is another one that sounds odd, but has quickly become one of my favorite breakfasts. after the onions are cooked down i add the mashed potatoes to the frying pan just long enough to get hot. also works well with mushrooms and peppers.
    where's my beer?

oso ... i been meaning to respond to your last beer thread but i've been too busy with finals, work, family, lifting, drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by oso
    I hate to be snobbish but most of those you listed are just not so great.

I do like Negro Modello though and the Guinness in the can is better than the export stout.
    i freely admit your superiority as the more acclaimed beer connaisseur, but i gotta dissagree with you here. i do not see how negro modello is the better beer of sierra nevada stout. i like negro modello mind you, but i stand behind my mention of not only sierra nevada stout, but sierra nevada esb. both very dark and rich beers - much more so than negro modello anyway. i also disagree with guinness draft being better than the bottled extra stout. i know i need to join a beer club and get some real beers, but comparitively speaking i still think the stouts mentioned above are the better beers.

i also recently discovered sammie smith which i really like. they were out of the oatmeal stout, but the tady porter was very tasty.

also ... very few people would appreciate this, but a buddy's buddy just bought an entire case of dogfish head ipa 120 for right around $160. gone in just two nights.
    where's my beer?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    2 simple liftin-man's meals:

tuna + egg

cant get much easier ... i'm surprised i hadn't actually thought of it before a buddy suggested it. just mix the two togeather and scramble in a pan. its good with some cheese melted in as well ... any kind. also makes for tasty sammich.

uggh...I like eggs and I like tuna but fish and eggs would make me puke

I did have 6 eggs for breakfast last saturday...just the eggs in a nonstick with some chili oil, garlic and black pepper and then topped it with some Valentina's sauce...that's some cheap, only mildly hot but tasty mexican sauce.

mashed potato and onion omlette

this is another one that sounds odd, but has quickly become one of my favorite breakfasts. after the onions are cooked down i add the mashed potatoes to the frying pan just long enough to get hot. also works well with mushrooms and peppers.
    dude, them's jus' tater cakes...nothing to see here, that's what we always do wit leftover taters.

oso ... i been meaning to respond to your last beer thread but i've been too busy with finals, work, family, lifting, drinking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oso
    I hate to be snobbish but most of those you listed are just not so great.

I do like Negro Modello though and the Guinness in the can is better than the export stout.

i freely admit your superiority as the more acclaimed beer connaisseur, but i gotta dissagree with you here. i do not see how negro modello is the better beer of sierra nevada stout.

it's too hoppy for moi {sniff}

i like negro modello mind you, but i stand behind my mention of not only sierra nevada stout, but sierra nevada esb. both very dark and rich beers - much more so than negro modello anyway.

but all the sierra nevada's all just so 1990's

i also disagree with guinness draft being better than the bottled extra stout. i know i need to join a beer club and get some real beers, but comparitively speaking i still think the stouts mentioned above are the better beers.

not much beats guinness in the cream stout category. the export or extra stout is not what was originally drunk/drank/drunk in ireland...it was weaker like the stuff in the can and how you usually get it out of the keg.

also, I just noticed that the guiness in the can is only 125 calories per 12 oz. that's only a tad more than Bud Light. It's practically a diet stout!

i also recently discovered sammie smith which i really like. they were out of the oatmeal stout, but the tady porter was very tasty.

now, there you have drunk the correct under the table and called it a cab!

the taddy porter is good stuff as is the oatmeal stout if you want something a bit chewier in your beer

also ... very few people would appreciate this, but a buddy's buddy just bought an entire case of dogfish head ipa 120 for right around $160. gone in just two nights.
    heh, the 120 will smack your momma for ya, still too hoppy for me though.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    True. My second husband was a womanizing tool, but he could really cook.

sorry about that, better luck on the 3rd

Wild Game Soft Tacos
    2 lbs of wild game, ground twice (I like sheep best, but it's even good with antalope)

I like sheep too, never had an antelope...got a phone number?
    [ba dum dum, crash! I'll be here all week lagies and germs....]

sour cream
    shreaded chedar (sharp works best with wild game)
    Pace Picante sauce (hot or mild, your choice)
    1 T garlic salt
    1/4 t cardamom
    1 t paprika
    1/2 t red peper
    corn or flour torillas. (I like it with corn, but once, again, your choice)
    1 highball liccore of your choice

Take out frying pan. Take a sip of your drink. Brown the meat with all spices, taking sips of your drink as nessisary. No need to drain off the fat, wild game is actually very lean. Pre-heat tortillas in microwave, about 30 seconds for an average pack of 10. Place a tortilla on a plate, take another sip. Place approximatly 1/2 cup of the meat mixture in a line on one side of the tortilla, then add a smear or sour cream. Finish the drink. if nessisary, get another to finish. Add picante and cheese to taste. Attempt to roll into a burrito shape if you can or just fold it. How many it serve depends on your interpritation of "a half cup of meat." (Usually makes enough for 10) Since this is a Food and beer thread, enjoy your wild game soft taco with a brew of your choice.
    spoken like a true gourmand!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

dude, them's jus' tater cakes...nothing to see here, that's what we always do wit leftover taters.

heh, the 120 will smack your momma for ya, still too hoppy for me though.
    see i need to learn exactly what hoppy means so i can evolve beyond the guy who generically claims to like dark beers. i understand the hops have to do with the brewing process, and i understand alot goes into the 120 ipa, but i need to get a better handle on it all. i need to get serious and take this to the next level. i have a feeling that our differences of taste will lie in the fact that i like hoppy beers though.

as for sierra being 90s that just shows you what i've been living with man. there arent any good beer stores within a half hour or so drive into PA. until recently the only "dark beer" one could find was amber bock. imports were limited to guinness, heinekan, and corona (if corona is considered an import). krogers just started carrying all of this stuff in the past year or two, so i've been havin a blast going through it all. i know i need to get online, but i never wind up going through he trouble. i think that will change this summer.

unfortunately i didnt get to try the 120 ipa ... my buddy brags though. he brags. and i cry on the inside.

.... also ... taker cakes. sweet they have a name. i just thought it sounded yummy one morning.
    where's my beer?

basically, and don't quote me on this literally, older beers were mostly malt concoctions, strong in alcohol and very little bite to the tongue.

hops have been used to add flavor and, in the case of IPA's, to increase the un-refrigerated shelf like prior to pasteurization so that the brit's in her majesty's far flung kingdom of the 19th century could have their beer ration.

when they got home from thier tour, they wanted their beer to taste like they've been drinking it for the last couple of years. so, hops became more of a mainstay.

hops add a level of bitterness I don't like in mah beer. just enough to cut the edge of sweetness so I don't think I'm drinking syrup.

my girl likes hoppy beers, there are very few we agree on and I haven't kicked her out yet

if you're taste is trending towards ipa's you probably won't find one better than the 120. If they brew another batch, I'll try to grab an Imperial IPA from the same company that I sent you the Tasgall. It was an IPA I actually liked.

yea, man, tater cakes...you could add protein powder if you wanted. or just some scrambled up sausage...or if you're still feeling healthy, the Morningstar Farms Sausage Patty is pretty tasty but soy.

"them jus tater cakes" spoken like a true mountain man! I had an old man buddy I hung out with for many years, the stories our seniors have are incredible. Anyway, he use to save up his leftovers and cooked `em all up at the end of the week, he called this "last of the garden".

Unfortunatly I have to watch my cholesterol these days... that means egg intake is limited. My lady is from Puerto Rico, we have eggs over easy layed on a bed of steaming jasmine rice, mix up and enjoy. This includes cuban bread and coffee.

Oso, I have seen your lovely lady... best hold on to that one, that gorgeous and a likes to fight girl, epic!

When I get a chance, I`ll share my wifes pork roast attempt. I should stop reading this thread until Friday so I can drink a dang beer...
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

older beers were mostly malt concoctions, strong in alcohol and very little bite to the tongue. hops have been used to add flavor and, in the case of IPA's, to increase the un-refrigerated shelf like prior to pasteurization so that the brit's in her majesty's far flung kingdom of the 19th century could have their beer ration ...

if you're taste is trending towards ipa's you probably won't find one better than the 120. If they brew another batch, I'll try to grab an Imperial IPA from the same company that I sent you the Tasgall. It was an IPA I actually liked.

yea, man, tater cakes...you could add protein powder if you wanted. or just some scrambled up sausage...or if you're still feeling healthy, the Morningstar Farms Sausage Patty is pretty tasty but soy.
    see .... why dont they teach this **** in school. we'd all be better people for it no doubt. (actually one of the professors at the college im going to is obsessed with the japanese beer industry. im going to try to sign up for his class for one of my core requirements for that very reason).

let me know if you do man ... ill cover everything. im also checking out that beer site now. http://www.ratebeer.com/MailOrder.asp

i like how you say, "if you're still feeling healthy." as if when we look at our omellette conconctions we say "well that dont look like it'll give me a heart attack ... what else can i add." ok .... i do say that.
    where's my beer?

sorry to hijack this thread, but do you know of any online sights vs call and order?

i found this one: http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/main/

lemmon pepper tillapia

take some fresh garlic, paprika, and lemmon pepper seasoning and fry up with a little butter and extra virgin olive oil.

pour half over some aluminum foil and place the tillappia (pre salted, peppered, and paprikaed) on top of it and then pour the other half over top. close er up and throw in the oven. i usually do about 375 for a half hour or longer - i overcook my fish though. paranoid.

i wish i could me more specific about amounts of seasoning and what not, but i just kinda throw it togeather.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    "them jus tater cakes" spoken like a true mountain man! I had an old man buddy I hung out with for many years, the stories our seniors have are incredible. Anyway, he use to save up his leftovers and cooked `em all up at the end of the week, he called this "last of the garden".

lol, I call that Defcon 3, Defcon 1 and I eat the pets

Unfortunatly I have to watch my cholesterol these days... that means egg intake is limited.

I think the opinion is changing a little bit on eggs

My lady is from Puerto Rico, we have eggs over easy layed on a bed of steaming jasmine rice, mix up and enjoy. This includes cuban bread and coffee.

can you say West Tampa Sandwich Shop? or was it east? I still liked the feta and sausage omelette you can get at the place on Dale Mabry...what was the name? something momma?

Oso, I have seen your lovely lady... best hold on to that one, that gorgeous and a likes to fight girl, epic!

i'm doing my best

When I get a chance, I`ll share my wifes pork roast attempt. I should stop reading this thread until Friday so I can drink a dang beer...
    you wait till friday to drink a beer?

see .... why dont they teach this **** in school. we'd all be better people for it no doubt.

amen...but actually, I think pot is the universal unifier, not alcohol...but that's another thread...

(actually one of the professors at the college im going to is obsessed with the japanese beer industry. im going to try to sign up for his class for one of my core requirements for that very reason).

let me know if you do man ... ill cover everything. im also checking out that beer site now. http://www.ratebeer.com/MailOrder.asp

as it happens, our new beer store is hosting a tasting tomorrow night featuring

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/

remember folks, the owner, Oscar Wong, trained under Shifu Brendan Lai in SF a long time ago...so, there's our kung fu connection

and they are supposed to have some of the Imperial IPA.

i like how you say, "if you're still feeling healthy." as if when we look at our omellette conconctions we say "well that dont look like it'll give me a heart attack ... what else can i add." ok .... i do say that.
    lol, when I made myself 6 eggs the other day for breakfast (keep in mind it was just the eggs, no bacon, no bread)...I just kept adding hot **** to it rationalizing that the spices would burn the bad stuff away....

Wait till Friday to drink a beer! You believe that and you will believe anything! Pretty much I read KFO at work in the am, all this talk about beers and food makes me crazy. Err, keep em coming. LOL, the hot sh*t burning the bad stuff away, sounds logical to me.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

sorry to hijack this thread, but do you know of any online sights vs call and order?

i found this one: http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/main/

that one looks cool..there are some I'd like to try like the Old Knucklehead #12...but, I'll probably not and just request it at my local retailer

http://bruisin-ales.com/index.php

I know you can't but "Drink Local"

you might see if there is a brewer's supply store around and if they can put you in touch with some people who are brewing in their basement...most home brewer's are only too happy to share with admirers

lemmon pepper tillapia

take some fresh garlic, paprika, and lemmon pepper seasoning and fry up with a little butter and extra virgin olive oil.

pour half over some aluminum foil and place the tillappia (pre salted, peppered, and paprikaed) on top of it and then pour the other half over top. close er up and throw in the oven. i usually do about 375 for a half hour or longer - i overcook my fish though. paranoid.

i wish i could me more specific about amounts of seasoning and what not, but i just kinda throw it togeather.

Oso's Ginger Salmon

1 Slab o' Salmon
    Butter
    Olive oil
    Garlic
    Pepper
    Salt

the above can be whatever you have on hand but definitely get fresh ginger and slice it up thinnish and lay it over the salmon along with thinly sliced lemon

wrap that shiat up in some foil, throw it on the grille for a half hour or so and then throw it on a plate with some wild rice blend and some asparagus

the wimmen's, they be taking thier clothes off very soon after this and a nice red wine

oh, the best way to cook asparagus:

fresh, young and tender (is there any other?) asparagus
    i usually cut a good portion of the stalk away so I've just got the best part
    lay it out on a cookie sheet, drizzle some olive oil on it liberally
    some salt and pepper
    cook at 400 for 10-12