Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Food & Beer Thread*

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    who stops grilling out in the winter?

i'll grille year round, granted, less in the winter but usually a couple times a month.

that recipe sounds awesome as well.
    i love being that mother****er the neighbors hate for filling the neighborhood with the sent of beer soaked steaks when its 10 below 0.
    where's my beer?

Nothing beats pork grilled on an open flame in December. I just don't like pork stake or chops cooked any other way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

oh i got a question that couldnt be more on topic.

what beers do you guys use to soak what meets in?

for steaks i found killians to work the best out of anything i tried, but to be honest i haven't done too much experimenting after i found killians to work (initially tried budweiser and a few other cheaper beers, and it wasn't bad, but killians definately added flavor). i was thinking about trying red stripe since i liked killians on it.

so what works best for beef, chicken, ribs, etc? wine recommendations good to.
    where's my beer?

Greetings..

Hi GDA: Check-out the "tastings and reviews" tab on the left side of the page at:
    http://beeradvocate.com/
    Many of the members will ship you some of the finest brews on the planet.. wicked good with 10-15% alcohol by volume (abv).. even the steaks get loopy when marinated in these brews.. but, personally, they are just too good.. i'll knock back a brew while i watch the steak sizzle in Killians..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

i was on that site yesterday too ... thanks though man. im glad to hear its a good site. respect the beer!
    where's my beer?

some steak questions ... i just got two decent cuts and my plan was to use tenderizer and beat the **** out of them - let them sit for about 12 hours - soak in beer for another 12 - 24 hours - then grill.

do i need to beat my meat at all, and if so is letting them sit before soaking in beer an uncecessary step? also - if i use a darker beer to soak them in, is there anything i can use to sweeten it so the girls like it better?
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    some steak questions ... i just got two decent cuts and my plan was to use tenderizer and beat the **** out of them - let them sit for about 12 hours - soak in beer for another 12 - 24 hours - then grill.

do i need to beat my meat at all, and if so is letting them sit before soaking in beer an uncecessary step? also - if i use a darker beer to soak them in, is there anything i can use to sweeten it so the girls like it better?
    LOL @ "beat my meat " !!!

Dude, tie it to a wooden post and you have a real makiwara !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    LOL @ "beat my meat " !!!

Dude, tie it to a wooden post and you have a real makiwara !!
    dude ... i dont want to tie my meat to a wooden post.

ok ... maybe i do.
    where's my beer?

Oso, the roast does take a little work but that is half the friggen fun, ya know during the process cold Bud products are being consumed. I can see you shaking your head in disgust about my choice of brew. That stuff you drink knocks my pee pee in the dirt.

Yeppur, I grill all winter, unless it is down below 20. My grill just cannot compete with that kind of cold. Plus it is not fun standing out in the cold. I use a gas grill, anybody add wood and what kind?

This is embarrassing, but I have never marinated steaks in beer, really helps huh.

I got porkchops for the grill this evening, marinated in lime, garlic and adobo...overnight. With some raw veggies and yams.

...if the weather friggen holds out.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    This is embarrassing, but I have never marinated steaks in beer, really helps huh.
    personal preference man. my next door neighbor is an avid beer drinker (58 year old guy with a kegorator + a stocked beer fridge in his basement) and grills some of the best meat i've ever had. he doesnt see the point in using beer on meats at all. i was just talking to him about that today actually ... traded him a sierra nevada summerfest beer (dont like it btw) for a killians to do the steaks ... he said hed rather drink his beer while the steaks are grilling. id recommend at least trying it, but its definately not a requirement for good grillin.
    where's my beer?

GDA, no worries, I`m always looking for tips on cooking on the grill, I appreciate your killians beer marinade and will try it soon.

I use to enjoy feasting on steaks a lot more in the past, but the prices are crazy now. Sometimes when I get a hankering for a steak I`ll just get a nice thick well marbled roast and cook it on the grill. Great beef taste and tender as F, cost me mucho less.

Some of these Tenn. locals use cokecola as a marinade. I tried it and it is interesting, softens up the cut but sort of adds a sweet taste to the meat, go figure. Anybody else ever use coke for a marinade? (the pop)
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    the higher the alcohol the more tenderized it becomes.

what do you mean by 'decent' cuts? exactly what cuts?

i'd stay away from any commercial tenderizer. if a particular beer is not over 7% ABV, then add a shot of whiskey to the soak.

just, for the love of zod, stop using killians, it's just coors w/ food coloring

dark beer is not inherently bitter...lighter ales tend to be hoppier and more bitter: remember, bud and other american beers are mostly lagers and bad ones at that.

I've just finished my ration of:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/2403

very nice, I like it a lot and would drown some ribeye in it

all for tonight: worked 11.5 hours today and on just 2 calls: I drove a bit over 220 miles today....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yeah sodas of all kinds get used for marinades. I used to have a recipe that called for reducing a liter of root beer down to a 1/2 cup to make a BBQ sauce. My Mom used to bake hams with a little 7-Up or Sprite. The carbonic acid acts as a tenderizer, but I`m not much for sweet meats.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

nothing too special here

Mancakes

White Flour
    Whole Wheat Flour, preferably stone ground
    baking powder
    salt
    sugar
    90% whey isolate

Milk (2% is my pref, you can go skim if you're trying to cut the fat)
    oil (just a tablespoon or so, canola)
    eggs

mix all the dry so the whey gets distributed throughout
    blend all the wet in and then cook it up

the portions are variable, at least a 50/50 of white to wheat flour. the more wheat, the meatier and chewier the mancake. all wheat isn't really so good at all.

I made this for breakfast for my two fighters before we got on the road this morning. It stuck with them till they had to fight
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Thanx, Xia! Just got 'Voodoo in the Kitchen" this, to me is the Holy Grail of Cajun food, only because it has some of the recipies that made The Bayou resterant in Bellmore, LI famous.
    To thank Xia, and also to shut up Cjurakpt about the "butterknife incident"
    (he is soooo jealous) I am sharing their recipe for the best Gumbo you ever tasted, including how to make a roux-which is crucial
    So, throw on some Zydeco,open up a bottle of Blackened Voodoo lager, get out your cast iron skillet and," Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!"

Bayou Seasoning

1/4c Hungarian Paprika
    1/4c Cayenne Pepper
    1/4c Ground Black Pepper
    1/4c Basil leaf
    1/2c Oregano
    2tsp salt
    1/4cWhite Pepper
    1 tsp Thyme

In a large bowl, combine all the spices-makes 3 cups-store in sealed container, but keep it handy-once you make this, you'll be putting it in everything

CAJUN ROUX
    3/4c Peanut Oil
    1c Flour
    1/2c yellow onion-chopped
    1/2c celery-chopped coarse
    1/4c Green Pepper chopped coarse
    1/4tsp Bayou Seasoning

In a cast iron skillet heat the oil over high flame until it starts to lightly smoke. Gradually, add the flour while stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan
    Continue cooking for 6-10 minutes, stirring constantly. .until the roux has reached a nice dark brown color.
    DO NOT BURN-if black specks appear, you have burned it and throw it out. It will be tooo bitter
    Remove pan from flame and add the celerty, onions, pepper, and Bayou Seasoning. Whisk for 2 minutes to insure it doesnt burn
    Set aside to cook, stirring every few minutes for half an hour
    Put in container and cover-this will keep for a few weeks.

ok, now you're ready to make,

LOVESICK GUMBO
    1/2lb unsalted butter
    1c Yellow Onion chopped coarse
    1c celery chopped coarse
    1c Green Pepper chopped
    6 c shrimp stock
    1tsp crushed rosemary
    1/4c Bayou Seasoning
    3 tbs File Powder (this is sassafras)
    1lb jumbo shrimp chopped
    1lb crawfish tails chunked
    1/4 lb snow crabmeat chunked
    1 catfish fillet-cubed
    2c niblet corn-fresh or frozen

First, make a roux. (see above)
    Melt butter in large pot. Add celery onions,pepper and cook for five minutes over a high heat. When the onions turn translucent, add one cup of the shrimp stock and turn the heat to medium. Cook down for another five minutes.
    Add the rosemary and bayou seasoning and cook for two minutes/scraping the bottom of the pot well.
    Add the file powder and cook for another minute, while scraping the pot.
    The file powder will cause the mixture to take on a rather thick stringy texture, but don't worry-have another beer.
    Add one cup of the shrimp stock and stir.
    Add the catfish,shrimp, crawfish,crab along with the rest of the stock and the niblet corn.
    Turn heat to high.
    when liquid comes to a rolling boil, spoon in the roux, while stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot.
    lower the heat and simmer for three hours, stirring occaisionally.

Serve in bowl over mounds of rice,
    Finishing touch is a dash of dry sherry in each bowl.
    Serve with a nice hunk of thick bread on the side-you'll need it.
    Bon Appatit!

Here's one of my own concoctions-real easy
    take any pasta-add vegies to make a prima vera,carrots,yellow squash, shrimp,etc
    Mix Bayou seasoning and butter,n garlic in and sprinkle with parmasan-eat.
    you can use a bag of frozen vegies too-Rancho Fiesta is great with this