Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The way and the power of a mantis

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Mantis has weak footwork. The horse you ride is way too big. And you waste too much energy and movement. Mantis can't beat nobody up.
    And what all powerful style do you practice?

Good clips. I'd like to learn Mantis but I'm way too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by papillomavirus View Post
    You really mentioned the dog brothers on a traditional martial art forum?
    They are a "fight club" with sticks! Brawling. All martial no art.
    Preying Mantis is a subtle art with vicious application. Sorry to be blunt but the videos listed in the initial post although sincere do not begin to represent the depth or breadth of traditional mantis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOvO5L6VjSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG3533Rktzg

And I guess you missed Kung Le hospitalize some MMA bruiser.
    Traditional Kung Fu is alive and well and the best stuff is closed door, no foam pads with jow soaked contusions.
    LOL !
    Ok, that was a good one !
    I needed a laugh, thanks.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    LOL !
    Ok, that was a good one !
    I needed a laugh, thanks.
    Laugh on Dog Brother, talk about some funny sh*t. No sin in being stupid or ignorant and you rock them both LOL!

More Mantis Applications
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7M7rLxcYg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nmSZxIxd0
    Last edited by papillomavirus; 04-29-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Laugh on Dog Brother, talk about some funny sh*t. No sin in being stupid or ignorant and you rock them both LOL!

More Mantis Applications
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7M7rLxcYg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nmSZxIxd0
    You were serious ??
    OK then.

Oh and thanks for the compliment, but I am not a DB, that's Dale's job
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 04-29-2008 at 05:23 AM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You were serious ??
    OK then.

Oh and thanks for the compliment, but I am not a DB, that's Dale's job
    Standing Corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Mantis has weak footwork. The horse you ride is way too big. And you waste too much energy and movement. Mantis can't beat nobody up.
    can't have it both ways.

1. if you want quick change of steps, to the left, to the right, up an down etc.

the steps have to be light and fast to be flexible.

2. yes, hand works are very "busy"

a lot of grabbing/grappling and de- grabbing/grappling or qin na and anti qin na.

but these have to light or flexible, the final strike or throw has to be heavy.

--

I learned mantis in kuo shu club in high school in late 1970'.

yes, you are busy with the steps and handwork.

that made me to "ask" for something that are more direct or straightforward or not as busy.

and that led me to ba ji and tong bei.

straightforward or direct on neutralization, and 99% of energy and movement on strike or throw.

--

simple and direct move may be more effective, more energy and time saving and higher success rate--

--

--

Preying Mantis is a subtle art with vicious application. Sorry to be blunt but the videos listed in the initial post although sincere do not begin to represent the depth or breadth of traditional mantis.

Traditional Kung Fu is alive and well and the best stuff is closed door, no foam pads with jow soaked contusions.
    oh dear lord

you realise that

one cung le is a wrestler first and foremost.

the first "mma bruiser" (who is likely a skilled martial technician but lets just call him a bruiser)opponent, Mike altman, was a long time san shou compettitor
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

and are those videos supposed to demonstrate how "vicious" mantis is ????

looked like a game of slaps to me man
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YevHx...eature=related

a cool intro clip about plum flower mantis.

Last edited by SPJ; 04-29-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    and are those videos supposed to demonstrate how "vicious" mantis is ????

looked like a game of slaps to me man
    You remain unimpressed & I remain unconcerned as to your preferences or aversions.

I'm thinking it's just another fancy way to beat someone up but I think those vid demonstrate how skillful Brendan Lai was. Tell me Golden Buddy-boy, you uhh got any vids of yourself doing anything other than running your mouth about things you don't understand? Because the way you talk you must be extra skilled in martial art!

totally random ttt

This subforum is dying.

I'm going to give it a little luv, but am considering merging it with the main forum if it doesn't get active.

Meanwhile, this...

Why this praying mantis is wearing tiny 3D glasses
    Scientists created a little 3D movie theater to find out how mantises see depth
    By Rachel Becker@RA_Becks Feb 9, 2018, 2:21pm EST

Photo: Newcastle University, UK

Praying mantises willing to wear 3D glasses and sit through bizarre, abstract movies have revealed a new way of seeing the world in three dimensions. The findings could help improve machine vision for robots that need to judge distance, like drones. But most of all, thanks to this research, we now know what bug-eyed mantises look like in glasses: adorable.

These carnivorous — frequently, cannibalistic — insects are well known for their pious posture, and the female’s habit of devouring her mate after sex. Praying mantises also have an unusual perspective for a bug: they’re the only insect we know of that can see in 3D, like we can. But figuring out how their bug-brains judge distance has been a challenge, because you can’t exactly ask a mantis to describe what it’s seeing. So scientists developed what they call a “3D insect cinema” and the bug versions of 3D glasses to test mantis vision. They discovered that mantis brains tune out confusing background information to judge distance to a moving target, according to a paper published Thursday in the journal Current Biology.

That’s completely different from how our own brains sense depth. To create a 3D perception out of each eye’s slightly different 2D picture of the world, the human brain has to merge both images. By comparing where the images match and where they differ, the brain can calculate what’s nearby and what’s far away. But if the images differ too much — like if one eye is seeing a picture of a forest and another is looking at a car on a road — that merging process breaks down.

Photo: Newcastle University, UK

To figure out if it works the same way for mantises, the team created a little 3D movie theater for the insects that specializes in films showing moving, abstract patterns of dots. One of the dot patterns — called the target — was supposed to look like prey to the mantis. So the idea was that if the 2D screen looked 3D to the mantis, the mantis would try to grab that target. And to find out which parts of the scene were key to the mantises’ 3D vision, the team changed the background pattern to try to make or break the illusion.

The mantises had to watch these films through the bug version of those old-school 3D glasses with differently colored lenses that show different views to each eye. But getting the mantises to actually wear the glasses was a bit of a challenge. Unlike humans, their ears don’t provide convenient handles on either side of their heads (their one ear is in the middle of their chest). So instead, the researchers had to temporarily stick the colored lenses to the mantises’ faces using a non-toxic beeswax glue. “They were quite helpful, except when they didn’t like their glasses,” says Vivek Nityananda, a neuroscientist at Newcastle University who led the study. “You’d come back into lab the next day and you’d find they’d removed the glasses, and you’d have to fit them all over again.”

The team discovered that for mantises, the background details didn’t seem to matter. Each eye could see completely different scenes: as long as both eyes could see something that looked like prey, and that prey was moving, the mantis could still judge distance to it. That’s different from how it works for us, where pretty much all the details need to match up. If one eye was seeing a forest and the other a road, for example, it wouldn’t matter if a dot was flickering in similar spots on both scenes, we still wouldn’t be able to tell how far away it was.

The finding was a complete surprise, Nityananda says. But it makes sense that the mantis visual system would be specifically tuned to motion. Mantises lie in wait for their prey to buzz past them. So it’s more efficient for a small mantis brain to ignore confusing background information and focus on what’s important: where its next meal is going. That same efficiency could help robots like drones judge distance, and the team is designing a mantis-inspired algorithm to improve machine vision. “Given what we know about the human 3D system, it wasn’t something that we had already imagined,” Nityananda says. “We had to completely rewire our imaginations to see the world through a mantis’s eyes.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You could merge the Northern Mantis and WingChun styles, both forums are GhostTowns these days.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This subforum is dying.

I'm going to give it a little luv, but am considering merging it with the main forum if it doesn't get active.

Meanwhile, this...
    Let it go...