Thread: inmate sues jail because he lost wieght on 3,000 cal. diet...

Exclamation inmate sues jail because he lost wieght on 3,000 cal. diet...

Oh, for the love of.... grow up. No one is trying to starve you to death just because you only get cold meals and 3,000 caleries a day.

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) - An inmate awaiting trial on a murder charge is suing the county, complaining he has lost more than 100 pounds because of the jailhouse menu.

Broderick Lloyd Laswell says he isn't happy that he's down to 308 pounds after eight months in the Benton County jail. He has filed a federal lawsuit complaining the jail doesn't provide inmates with enough food.

According to the suit, Laswell weighed 413 pounds when he was jailed in September. Police say he and a co-defendant fatally beat and stabbed a man, then set his home on fire.

"On several occasions I have started to do some exercising and my vision went blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out," Laswell wrote in his complaint. "About an hour after each meal my stomach starts to hurt and growl. I feel hungry again."

But Laswell then goes on to complain that he undertakes little vigorous activity.

"If we are in a small pod all day (and) do next to nothing for physical exercise, we should not lose weight," the suit says. "The only reason we lost weight in here is because we are literally being starved to death."

The suit also asks that the county be ordered to serve hot meals. The jail has served only cold food for years.

The meals, provided through Aramark Correctional Institution Services, average 3,000 calories a day, jail Capt. Hunter Petray told The Morning News of northwest Arkansas for a story Saturday.

A typical Western diet consists of 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day.
    Laswell's suit was filed without a lawyer in U.S. District Court in Fayetteville.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Bringing frivolous lawsuits against their jailors is one of the few ways inmates have of legally getting back at the system. All that's going to happen as a result of this is that a jailhouse lawyer's going to get on the stand and say that they are saving the inmate's life by feeding him a reasonable amount of food and making him less morbidly obese. Inmates happily burn through taxpayer money at any given opportunity...and we should support the standard of living for these people why?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Seems like some fat hog of a convict wants more food.

Jail is punishment. Why do they get to sue over the dumbest things??

Put him on the chain gang make him exercise and then listen to him whine.....
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

It's not the diet. It's the HIV.

I'd like to know what they guy he MURDERED would like to eat. Or what the victim's family thinks of a grossly over-weight killer being forced to eat cold food.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Well... he is not guilty yet at any rate.

Starve him after his trial?

strike!