冠木侍 Forms (generally speaking), in my opinion, are a part of the whole formula. Obviously, anyone who does just forms is probably not good at the combat aspect of martial arts and those who don't focus on forms training I find have trouble maintaining good horse stances (as one example).

Yes..good comment. Learning a system is all about being well rounded and being taught how to properly use the tools to practise and train. Too much Yang..Yin suffers..etc. Isn't most of what we strive for is about..balance.

It is just a way to fine tune it (good posture or technique) and maybe offer a possible combat scenario/application (imaginary of course).

The term gung fu means accomplishment through persistent hard work. It is about developing better than average skill or ability in something. In TCMAs, form work with purpose establishes gung in many areas of one's ability. There are many levels of understanding..usually requiring a teacher that can help guide one through the stages. Skill development must be taught in stages, otherwise the student will become lost, misunderstand, an
d develop little gung fu.

Learning how to fight does not require forms, but learning a system does. When one understands the many teaching tools within their system..then..learning how to fight without forms becomes a handicap.

I believe part of the dilemma Today can be traced back to students discarding the form as they were not properly taught or understood their use. It is that simple.

It's all good.

nospam