Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distance Training Kung Fu & Tai Chi

Distance Learning Ideas

Ok, so here I am, an eager and fit DL student ready to tackle everything the world of CLF has to offer. I have studied the tapes, and can perform the movements. So I finish my regular workout and head upstairs to a solitary area of the gym to work on some CLF training. I perform the basic stance and hand forms, pausing to check my technique, sometimes doing them over if I feel I didn't do them correctly. I then work on some kicking drills, hand strikes, and some flexibility work. By the time I leave the gym, I am a sweaty and exhausted mess...but one thing lingers in my mind. Am I training properly? Is this the way they'd do it at a school?

So it occured that I should have a schedule instead of haphazardly working on different things. That being said, where is a good place to find a decent one hour schedule? I can't really go over that time, because I still have my weightlifting, running, and abdominal work to do.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Any time is a good time to train. If you are not attending a school under a teacher's watchful eye and proper guidance, then training when you do for as long as you do is what you are willing to put into it. As far as you know, you are training well and hard...or are you?

It's a rare breed of person to be able to keep proper consistent and productive training going on their own. You need to set goals that cover many areas of training, from a good 10-20 minutes of basics and advanced basics to drilling patterns and performing patterns to bag work if you do not have a training partner.

It also depends on your MA goals. Although some may debate this, you can not improve your fighting if you train alone and do not practise fighting on an interactive partner. Period.

If you feel your training is haphazzard, then you are not training effectively and to your maximum benefit. Perhaps it is time for a change.

nospam

Thanks for the guidance, but being military, I am used to having my training broken down by the minute. For example... here's a sample PT routine.

10 mins - Stretching/rotations/calesthenics
    40 mins - 4 mile slow run
    10 mins - Cool down stretching

I was looking for a way to apply that to CLF training.

I'm a structured little monster.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

First thing in the morning. Get up an hour early and just do it.

nospam

Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post
    First thing in the morning. Get up an hour early and just do it.

nospam
    We do organized PT first thing in the morning. This morning, for example, we ran 5 miles with sprints up hills and little mini-races throughout. I hit the gym after work to improve my scores on the PT test.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Since you already have a warm-up and cool-down, I'd suggest perhaps the following:

10 min form: take it slow, focus on correct structure and technique.
    15 min basic pad/bag work: Practice power generation with basic techniques.
    10 min advanced pad/bag work
    15 min drills/applications
    10 min form: go full speed and power. Try to stay relaxed and loose, but the goal is a cardio workout to finish it off.

That really doesn't allot a whole lot of time for any given chunk, so really keep the pace up and don't waste any time. Depending on how often you train you might want to give and take a little on the schedule. Maybe one day do more pad/bag work, the other more application work, or whatever.

Also I think nospam is exactly right; if combat is your goal, you need to find someone to practice fighting with.

Distance Training Kung Fu & Tai Chi

Greetings, I am looking for a non hyped up marketing scheme site that trains kung fu & tai chi at home via video. Programs are fine, like one that plumblossom.net gives, but im looking for more styles and variations of your favorites so i will have many to choose from. The only thing available near me is Shaolin Do, i went for a viewing 2 times before i decided it was not for me. I just did not like the styles and the mixture of kids and adults. I dont mind the kids being there, just the ones i seen both times were a bit rambunctious and well careless to say the least. Not all but a few. I am also wanting to know is it logical to train both Kung Fu and tai Chi forms at the same time?
    Any help would be great

Thanks in advance,

Freebird

Distance Training

I am putting together a distance program for my monkey system. If you are interested please email me:

ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

or visit my web:

http://www.shaolininstitute.com

Ginosifu

Can you learn effectively this way or must you have significant experience in other arts as a base?

Not sure, but i assume it would be like distance classes for school.. Just not hands on in a class.. When you really dont have an option it could be the only way. Driving jars me up something aweful, i hate riding in a car for an hour, stiffens me up can barely move afterwards. I gotta keep moving around. and the only school available is not what i want, its settling with a wish sandwhich when you want a steak sandwhich ya know? Hopefully i can get some good links added in here from others. Like to see the styles and what they have to offer. I dont know what im looking at, but im sure ill know what i want to train when i see it. Tai Chi maybe is the best as others have said since i do have back problems, but i want a full course as if i am being taught in person one one by the sifu / teacher.

Effective Distanve Training

Quote Originally Posted by KFNOOB View Post
    Can you learn effectively this way or must you have significant experience in other arts as a base?
    Can you effectively learn thru distance only, "NO"

You would have to combine distance with visiting the teacher in a seminar or private lesson. I have had student s come on monthly basis / some quarterly. You need instruction from the teacher and you also need a partner for Reaction / Timing drills and sparring.

Forms alone are just exercise.

Ginosifu

As most will be able to tell from my video sig, I learned my 24 form from DVD. It's unrefined at best but It's a base. I just found a sifu who's teaching 24 form once a week and guess what! I have bad habits I need to fix. I leave my ego at the door, except his knowledge, focus on what he's telling me and do my best to practice correct 24 form all week until next class. I hope to post another video in I'd say 6 months with noticable inprovement.

Yeah going in once in a while to test and get viewed on your achievments isnt so bad, even going to a different state isnt either. I have family who live in ohio and in Alabama, just not sure what i wanna do, I can always visit them while testing and getting my progress reports lol.. Again i dont know much about what goes on in the schools really, this is my assumption. Im sure there are alot more reasons to go to a school rather than distance training, but if nothing is available to you that you want to do then the only other option is to move... Im not moving i just bought this house last yr so that is a no go.

Im still looking for distance training links. Anymore will be appreciated. styles and Forms do not matter, as long as it is CMA only.

plumblossom.net

*nods* i stated that site in my first post of this thread, ive been debating it. Might be the best choice thus far.