Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Attack/Defend Lines

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have always liked Tony's stuff, simple effective and applicable to all.
    Canucks are the uber-cool in terms of MA.
    Sounds like a winning combination to me. Since he's in Montreal I'll have to check it out the next time I'm down that way.

Bill
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    My PM isn't disabled. I just got one from couch..
    Hey Phil, I could swear that there was on option to PM. I guess I missed it somehow. Sorry.

Also, I don't think any WC school teaches chasing hands. That's against WC principles. When all WC people do the pak sao in SLT they aren't chasing hands. They're covering a gate. When I did that demo it was just to show structure. I always teach that there are X factors in a fight. Your opponent can do this or that when you do this or that. It's like a game of chess. The man with the best strategy wins.
    Sure thing. You are correct, there are always x-factors which makes things fun. Don't pay any attention to my comments, I'm just rambling......
    Peace,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I see the point you are making and don't disagree. I think we've just been look at things differently. I've been addressing Phil's example directly and see nothing wrong with it for illustrating the point he was trying to make. I still see it as a legitimate "quick" response to a surprise attack. I think you're approaching it from the angle of considering the optimal response.
    Hey Keith,
    I think you've summed it up quite well. I'm glad you can see my point and I certainly see Phil's.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Its interesting...... Tony Blauer comes up with a good "gee ****" response that people like and that works well and it turns out to be a common WCK technique. Similarly Mark Denny of "Dog Brothers" fame developed a initial response to a knife attack that he has been teaching in seminars alongside Gabe Suarez and that he calls the "Dog Catcher." Turns out its a WCK "gan/jum" technique.
    Wing Chun does not possess some special or secret information, IMO. I think we train in a different way, through forms and chi sao, etc, but the concepts are inherent in many other styles. I've seen other Tony B. videos where he refers to WC techniques by name, so he seems to have at least some knowledge of WC, maybe even more than just 'some' (not that that would be required). We can attach labels to it and categorize it but in the end good stuff, is good stuff - plain and simple.

Bill

All boxers call what they do boxing yet they box differently.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Sounds like a winning combination to me. Since he's in Montreal I'll have to check it out the next time I'm down that way.

Bill
    He was slated to come to Halifax, NS for May 10 but that has now been postponed. His office now says June 14.

He's teaching at a Law Enforcement College in Halifax. I'm going to have my eyes peeled for the course coming up and I'll let everyone know about it. It's on a Sat from 10:30-4:30 and it's only $99.00.

It's a seminar open to anyone.

Best,
    Kenton
    Last edited by couch; 05-06-2008 at 06:16 AM.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Here's a clip of random combos.
    Combo drills:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolIZIFX-pg
    This is a typical class at the NJ school. We start out with a specific drill then we add a few counters. Finally we train against random attacks staying in the inside or trying to take the blindside. If dealing with a person near your weight/size or smaller then it's all good to attack down the middle. There can be problems with fighting a really big guy down the middle. One is that he can take your punches and still grab you and overpower you.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

All boxers call what they do boxing yet they box differently.
    Blasphemy !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Blasphemy !!!
    I know. It just sucks doesn't it?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

wHEN i WAS LEARNING i WAS TOLD THAT YOUR CENTRE FACES THE TAN IF IT IS REALLY HARD, YOU DIDNT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE OR YOU didnt have confidence in the lunch. If your centre faced the attack then it would be stronger. So simply which either one were faced would be the stronger. The choice of which you should face came down to many factors, ie size of opponent, strength, ability to step or pivot etc. So I think everyone was right depending on diferent situations.
    It was always drumed into me that ving tsun was a set of princibles giving you different options for different circumstances. My teachers teacher used to always say, "ving tsun is like a chair, you need to get off the chair to be able to use it best." So use it diferently but as long as it applies to the princibles of VT then its OK.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    . . . It was always drumed into me that ving tsun was a set of princibles giving you different options for different circumstances. My teachers teacher used to always say, "ving tsun is like a chair, you need to get off the chair to be able to use it best." So use it diferently but as long as it applies to the princibles of VT then its OK.
    That's about one of the best ways to describe WC I've seen here. People argue about technique. Techniques will vary with the individual, circumstances, or whatever. If you get the job done as efficiently as possible without violating WC principles there will be many ways to solve the same problem. Everyone's WC shouldn't look the same. Make it yours.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I also forgot, it depends which foot is the back leg if you are in stance. As the force of the strike goes through your body and if the opposite side doesnt have the back leg you tend to get pushed over, hence the need to either pivot or better to step if possoble to add the force needed to keep you standing.

Here's a clip of random combos.
    Combo drills:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolIZIFX-pg
    This is a typical class at the NJ school. We start out with a specific drill then we add a few counters. Finally we train against random attacks staying in the inside or trying to take the blindside. If dealing with a person near your weight/size or smaller then it's all good to attack down the middle. There can be problems with fighting a really big guy down the middle. One is that he can take your punches and still grab you and overpower you.

***AND since you don't always have control about fighting on the blindside, therefore making fighting in the middle inevitable and subject to possibly being grabbed...it's time to learn wrestling/grappling. You might need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    ***AND since you don't always have control about fighting on the blindside, therefore making fighting in the middle inevitable and subject to possibly being grabbed...it's time to learn wrestling/grappling. You might need it.
    Or at least learn enough to know how to deal with them. It's good to be familiar with various arts.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun

Or at least learn enough to know how to deal with them. It's good to be familiar with various arts.

Ok now, this is where I get to wondering what is going on. We are talking about WC, and then someone comes up and says something like this. My WC, or Hung Fa or what ever you wish to call it consists of all kinds of grappling and escape techniques. Rolling on the ground was something I had to learn. It was not left to my own devices. It is a common fact that the vast majority of individuals will not go into a Kung Fu stance or a Karate stance when confronted, but will just leap right on you and attempt to take you down. It would be insane to not train for this eventuality. And if you were to put yourself into situations where this could or does occur it would not take you long to figure that out.
    Do you not have any ground fighting techniques within your system?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Do you not have any ground fighting techniques within your system?
    No. Wasn't designed that way.

And if you want to learn ground defenses, you shouldn't be left to your own devices...you'll get clobbered. Go learn from someone who's been doing it a while.

Best,
    Kenton
    Last edited by couch; 05-15-2008 at 06:32 AM.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels