Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA vs CLF

MMA vs CLF

I am finding it very hard to believe that CLF, or any other kung fu style, could win a fight against a good MMA practitioner. Does anyone have any opinion on this? Just curious.

look at Cung le's MMA fights. just need to be **** hot in your stand up skills. Cung le fractured his last opponent's arm. No reason why can't do that with a Sau Choi. Can you spend 4 hours+ a day training though?
    Last edited by stout; 05-01-2008 at 10:42 AM.

I am finding it very hard to believe that CLF, or any other kung fu style, could win a fight against a good MMA practitioner. Does anyone have any opinion on this? Just curious.

look at Cung le's MMA fights. just need to be **** hot in your stand up skills.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by badfrog666 View Post
    you're right, now one in MMA uses chaap (straight punches), so (long hooks), kup (overhands) or jong (forearms). Kicks never work, and can never break an arm. blah blah blah

(we need better trolls, really, we should set up a school or something)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    you're right, now one in MMA uses chaap (straight punches), so (long hooks), kup (overhands) or jong (forearms). Kicks never work, and can never break an arm. blah blah blah

(we need better trolls, really, we should set up a school or something)
    Quality control is the issue, maybe an ISO for Trolls.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    How does choy lee fut swinging looping punches and defense fare against western boxing tight defensive and punching structure?

re:

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    How does choy lee fut swinging looping punches and defense fare against western boxing tight defensive and punching structure?
    I don't stick to one way of defending, whatever works.

But as a CLF fighter that cross trains in Western Boxing/Muay Thai from time to time, on a particularly long streak of Thai Boxing training, I had my guard up boxing style and got KTFO by a Sow Chui that came out of nowhere. Went right around my guard and like my Sifu teaches, came crashing downward (as opposed to completely horizontally) and sent me to queer street.

So what I'm trying to say is, it works pretty well against a boxing guard.

k

CLF looks like it's all long and they generally the impression everyone gets by watchng it but anyone who's trained know different.

It's one of those assumptions that will catch you off guard.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by k-no View Post
    and sent me to queer street.
    Dayum! Getting punched can turn a person gay?!
    Imma hafta stop sparring.....
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Blog Entries
    I don't stick to one way of defending, whatever works.

But as a CLF fighter that cross trains in Western Boxing/Muay Thai from time to time, on a particularly long streak of Thai Boxing training, I had my guard up boxing style and got KTFO by a Sow Chui that came out of nowhere. Went right around my guard and like my Sifu teaches, came crashing downward (as opposed to completely horizontally) and sent me to queer street.

So what I'm trying to say is, it works pretty well against a boxing guard.

k
    No disrespect intended but,

Bruce lee even said that western boxers had the best hands by far, He even went as far as to say that western boxers would distroy most kung fu guys when it came to fighting.

So if there are CLF techinqies which works better than western boxing why haven't professional boxers adapted them in the ring? or why haven't there been any CLF fighters that's holds a a boxing title? considering the amount of money they would make, i think they would definately compete if they thought they had a chance.

Actually I don't think they're allowed in Boxing. I've heard that at one time the backfist was part of the Boxing arsenal. Maybe someone familiar with the history can fill us in.

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

In boxing, any blow landed with the front padded area of the glove (not the back), to a valid target area would be valid. So, no backfists or hammerfists, but all the other closed-fist strike (Sao, Pao, etc) would be fine.

And yes, boxers pretty much DO have the fastest, most efficient and powerful hand strikes in the martial arts. They HAVE to, it's their entire arsenal.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    No disrespect intended but,

Bruce lee even said that western boxers had the best hands by far, He even went as far as to say that western boxers would distroy most kung fu guys when it came to fighting.

So if there are CLF techinqies which works better than western boxing why haven't professional boxers adapted them in the ring? or why haven't there been any CLF fighters that's holds a a boxing title? considering the amount of money they would make, i think they would definately compete if they thought they had a chance.
    Actually, it's occasionally worked pretty well for Chuck Liddell in the UFC. In the street, you're not wearing 16 oz pillows on your hands. Bare knuckle sparring is a lot different than sparring with boxing gloves on, and if you say different, you're lying.

For that matter, playing CLF short for close range is the closest I've seen Kung Fu to boxing so it works for me...someone quoted that once, but I forgot. No one said boxing techniques (and other styles for that matter) aren't effective. If they weren't I wouldn't cross train in them. Likewise, I wouldn't train CLF at all if it hasn't worked for me in real-world situations.

k
    Last edited by k-no; 05-03-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: update

Blog Entries
    Actually, it's occasionally worked pretty well for Chuck Liddell in the UFC. In the street, you're not wearing 16 oz pillows on your hands. Bare knuckle sparring is a lot different than sparring with boxing gloves on, and if you say different, you're lying.
    k
    I completely agree about chuck lidde and abut the 16 oz pillows, i always thought his punches were from CLF, but weren't sure. Did Chuck ever trained CLF?

But even chuck was defeated with boxing by way of Quinton Jackson. Quinton took full advantage of chuck's wide punches by covering up and then punching chuck when he exposed himself, knocking him out.

Every fighting style can be countered. It's just a matter of time before someone finds the answer to Rampage. That's just the way it is, you can't escape reality.

And the answer can come from almost anywhere, maybe even CMA.