Thread: That's Cold.

That's Cold.

So, my mom has an in-ground pool. It's nice and big.

My youngest brother is bull-headed, as strong as the aforementioned mammal, and, due to his Down's Syndrome, a nigh-impervious skin which keeps him from feeling cold.

He jumped in the pool, shoes, clothes, and all tonight.

My mom is not strong enough to wrestle this guy. Whom I've wrestled with/done jiu jitsu with since he was five. He's 13.

I just spent 20 minutes kicking around in a 65 degree pool with a light rain and super cold-ass wind, whilst in only swim trunks wrestling a non-compliant, very strong teenager out of a swimming pool.

All the respect in the world to those who work in assisted care facilities. That sucked.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    dude! I bet that sucked. everything ok?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oh yeah, he's good. Grounded, sans TV.

My back is cramping up real nice from my lower neck/upper back, but a trip to the chiro will fix that.

When he goes ape ****, he gives 100%. He doesn't bring any of that half-ass shenanigans.

ok, good to hear.

my girl works with autistic kids and I hear similar stories all the time...some of those 8 year olds she works with are strong as hell.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

dude im sorry that reading that story made me laugh, but im not going to lie. my heart goes out to you no doubt ... my sister works for an organization that employes the mentally handicapped and i've had more than a few lunches there. i thought i was crude until i hung out with those ladies. i was shocked at first, but then realized that the only way most people can continue being good for the clients day in day out, year after year, is to have one hell of a sense of humor.
    where's my beer?

I feel ya, Vash

I few years back I had to wrestle someone out of a river. He had had a full blown psychotic over the weekend of a music festival. We had seen him repeatedly (I do volunteer work as an emergency psych tech at concerts and music festivals - see my first Shaolin Trips installment if you haven't already). Wrestling in water is really tricky. First of all, the fight does not go to the ground. Go to the ground and you both drown. Second of all, your patient is slippery as hell. Thirdly, you can't choke them out or triangle or guillotine or anything like that - what good does that do a patient (or your brother in this case)? It's a totally unique martial problem.

If you've ever done any lifeguard training, you know how incredibly dangerous wrestling someone in water can be. In my case, cold wasn't a factor. It was the beginning of August and blisteringly hot, so the water was actually refreshing. However, it was very rocky and we were sure this patient was going to split his head open. Either that or one of ours. During the fray, one of my partners slipped and tore his big toenail clean off on a rock. It took four of us to initially contain the patient, then another four came and backed us up. Kudos to you, Vash, for doing it solo. Thank God you're all ok. Maybe a pool isn't the best thing to have with your brother.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

gda: that's a good point. I've gone for drinks with my girl's workmates and some of the stories and how they talk is pretty funny. An outsider wouldn't get it but it is their way of stress relief and all of these women (you wouldn't think I'd go have drinks with a bunch of dudes, did ya?) are 5+ years in the field. i.e. in for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    dude im sorry that reading that story made me laugh, but im not going to lie. my heart goes out to you no doubt ... my sister works for an organization that employes the mentally handicapped and i've had more than a few lunches there. i thought i was crude until i hung out with those ladies. i was shocked at first, but then realized that the only way most people can continue being good for the clients day in day out, year after year, is to have one hell of a sense of humor.
    Dude, laugh your ass off. He's the ultimate con-man. He knows how people view him, what they expect of him, all that jazz. He plays it up. He's around someone he doesn't know, or someone he knows is going to expect him to do school work, behave, etc? He turns up the drool, looks down and to the right, mumbles. He's around me? Plain English, clear as day. No drool, perfect posture. Hell, even the way he walks is different depending on what kinda game he's running.

He can understand anything in English, all of the Spanish I've been teaching him (without momma's knowledge), and can speak most of it. Of course, he's probably not going to get into a deep discussion of Descarte, but he can sure as hell tell you to cram your head up your ass if he's in a foul mood (he's said this to me once. ONCE.)

So, feel no pity for him, nor for most of those in handicapped classes/special education facilities. Sure, they have problems. But I absolutely promise this: they are playing EVERYONE to a certain extent. And when they are, they have a hellofa time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I few years back I had to wrestle someone out of a river. He had had a full blown psychotic over the weekend of a music festival. We had seen him repeatedly (I do volunteer work as an emergency psych tech at concerts and music festivals - see my first Shaolin Trips installment if you haven't already). Wrestling in water is really tricky. First of all, the fight does not go to the ground. Go to the ground and you both drown. Second of all, your patient is slippery as hell. Thirdly, you can't choke them out or triangle or guillotine or anything like that - what good does that do a patient (or your brother in this case)? It's a totally unique martial problem.

If you've ever done any lifeguard training, you know how incredibly dangerous wrestling someone in water can be. In my case, cold wasn't a factor. It was the beginning of August and blisteringly hot, so the water was actually refreshing. However, it was very rocky and we were sure this patient was going to split his head open. Either that or one of ours. During the fray, one of my partners slipped and tore his big toenail clean off on a rock. It took four of us to initially contain the patient, then another four came and backed us up. Kudos to you, Vash, for doing it solo. Thank God you're all ok. Maybe a pool isn't the best thing to have with your brother.
    Yeah, my stepfather (may he burn in hell) and I both tried to talk momma out of the pool. But, she insisted. And, mothers being who they be, she got it. I had to help dig the trenches and plant the rebar for it.

He was in no danger. He's scared of the deep end, since his depth perception screws him up over there. Had me swallow a few gallons of chlorine, though.

I have been reading your posts with great amusement. I manage 3 facilities for the mentally retarded and have had many a wrestling match with many a client. I know what you mean by running game, all my clients fall in the mild to moderate spectrum of the disorder and many of them have various behavior problems. I really respect that you are taking care of your brother in home rather than putting him in a group home and forgetting about him like a lot of families do. However, there may come a point where your mother and your stepfather do not have time or the resources to supervise your brother like he needs and you may have to consider a group home. If you ever get to that point, let me know I will be glad to help you out in anyway I can and also give you pointers on what to look for and listen for so providers don't run game on you.

Yeouch! Hopefully he's ticklish. This can give you a huge advantage. If not try stupid jokes to get him laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    I just spent 20 minutes kicking around in a 65 degree pool with a light rain and super cold-ass wind, whilst in only swim trunks wrestling a non-compliant, very strong teenager out of a swimming pool...
    Is this your new HIIT rutine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Is this your new HIIT rutine?
    Naw, standard southern-boy cool-down.

seems like it could get you into shape real quick, though. sparring, cardio, strenth training, and mental conditioning all wrapped up in one. And you mom thinks you are a hero and your brother burns ff some excess energy. It's a win-win-win situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it