Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ng Family Style real?

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Shane...... do you know the monkey baqua form? Is it very long? This is the Baqua form that Frank Sexton started teaching me about a year ago but I never got the chance to go back and learn the rest of it. Now that Frank isn't associated with John Ng (or vice versa) it's a little hard to finish learning. And catching Great Grandmaster Dr. John Ng when he isn't working at the pharmacy is hard to do. Do you know anyone here in Lexington that knows it and would be willing to teach it? What little I do know of it I really like.
    Last edited by mkriii; 05-16-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Mark, working hard is always a compliment. That's the essence of kung fu. Quit being so sensitive--the only person throwing rocks here is you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    She's going to New Orleans. We're not married yet; the wedding is next year.

Shane
    Congratulations.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Hi, Bruce,

If I understand you right, the answer is yes, but not at first. We do it that way when we start circle walking with the energy palms, but we spend a lot of time before that doing them in singles with the basic walking posture.

I also noticed that I keep mentioning the energy palms. I know a lot of people use different terminology for stuff so I wanted to make clear that by energy palms I mean the eight integral palms shapes and their associated actions, not the form.

Shane
    thanks for the reply shane ...
    are these what you are talking about. i just call them the 8 palms ...

Last edited by brucereiter; 05-16-2008 at 12:56 PM.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Mark, working hard is always a compliment. That's the essence of kung fu. Quit being so sensitive--the only person throwing rocks here is you.
    Yes, but if this thread is an indicator of anything, he's throwing his rocks at a brick wall, and they're bouncing back off and giving him a headache.

MARKA SO ANGRY! MARKA SMASH!

Bruce's illustration is right in line with my notes on Jiang Rongqiao's Baguazhang's Palm Methods. Bruce have you referred to Joseph Crandall's translation of JQR's classical text?

That's them. We have some very minor differences, but they're substantially the same.

Shane
    cool. we have a standing drill where you go through each "palm" over and over. i like it.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Bruce's illustration is right in line with my notes on Jiang Rongqiao's Baguazhang's Palm Methods. Bruce have you referred to Joseph Crandall's translation of JQR's classical text?
    ahh :-) yes. i like that one. andrea falk has a great book/translation too.

ya know it is funny gmt did a good translation of the "rules" and he split it into 64 points in a very organized way. but some of his translation is silly/funny like "ducks come out as a flock" gmt calls "wild ducks come out as a herd" just little things like that through out his translation. gmt's translation notes have copies the hand drawings that jiangs daughter made for him for his book.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    ahh :-) yes. i like that one. andrea falk has a great book/translation too.

ya know it is funny gmt did a good translation of the "rules" and he split it into 64 points in a very organized way. but some of his translation is silly/funny like "ducks come out as a flock" gmt calls "wild ducks come out as a herd" just little things like that through out his translation. gmt's translation notes have copies the hand drawings that jiangs daughter made for him for his book.
    I know. I always thought that was interesting. At least we know that GMT was doing his own translation.

Well, I'm sorry then. I took it the wrong way. Thank you for the compliment on the Four Seasons team on working so hard. It means a lot when other people see it and recognize it.

current status of GM Ng?

I have found this thread to be quite interesting, but it has seemed to have filtered out lately. My former sifu use to study with Tom Pardue who studied under Dr. Ng. At least that was my understanding. I also heard that Dr. Ng was a fantastic kung fu guy, but does not teach as much due to personal issues that this forum is probably not the place for discussion in regards to that. My former instructor thought very highly of Dr. Ng's kung fu skills and I am very interested in knowing his current status.
    Also, when I was looking for a new school recently to train at, I came across three instructors who claimed to be involved with Dr. Ng at one time. One was Rusty Gray.
    It seems that the Ng kung fu family has some inner political issues that has hurt their growth and reputation unfortunately. The people I have spoke with and have met who have been involved with Dr. Ng at one time seem like really good folks, but it seems something may have happened that has really left a sore spot in their hearts. Does anyone have any info on this and is there any word that this supposed riff may be healed? Please don't take my nosiness as a negative. I'm generally concerned because I would hate to see Dr. Ng's forms lost due to politics and bickering.

Quote Originally Posted by peace&love View Post
    I have found this thread to be quite interesting, but it has seemed to have filtered out lately. My former sifu use to study with Tom Pardue who studied under Dr. Ng. At least that was my understanding. I also heard that Dr. Ng was a fantastic kung fu guy, but does not teach as much due to personal issues that this forum is probably not the place for discussion in regards to that. My former instructor thought very highly of Dr. Ng's kung fu skills and I am very interested in knowing his current status.
    Also, when I was looking for a new school recently to train at, I came across three instructors who claimed to be involved with Dr. Ng at one time. One was Rusty Gray.
    It seems that the Ng kung fu family has some inner political issues that has hurt their growth and reputation unfortunately. The people I have spoke with and have met who have been involved with Dr. Ng at one time seem like really good folks, but it seems something may have happened that has really left a sore spot in their hearts. Does anyone have any info on this and is there any word that this supposed riff may be healed? Please don't take my nosiness as a negative. I'm generally concerned because I would hate to see Dr. Ng's forms lost due to politics and bickering.

Dr. Ng is doing great. I saw him this past Friday. I was in Eastern Ky on business and decided to drop in and see him at his work. He was quite busy at work so I didn't get the chance to spend a lot of time with him. I talked to him for about 15 minutes. As for Rusty Gray, he did study under Dr. Ng. For how long I don't know. Rusty Gray is an excellent teacher. I know him personally. I know that there is no bad blood between any of the Ng family members that I know of. I believe everything has been settled. I studied at Dr. Ng's school for three years then studied under John Dufresne ever since 1989. John Dufresne was and still is one of Dr. Ng's original students and is an 8th level black sash under Dr. Ng. And by the way, I am by no means the official spokesperson for Ng Family Kung Fu. I'm just stating what I know.
    Last edited by mkriii; 07-23-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Good news

It sounds like all is well. Thank you for giving me an update. I have met Rusty quite a few times and think highly of him. He was a judge at a tournament I participated in and did an excellent job. Also, when I was looking for a new place to study I considered Rusty's school. He is an excellent teacher, but concentrates more on Wing Chun now than Ng Family. Therefore, I decided to study elsewhere because I was more interested in Ng Family at the time. Once again, thanks for your update.

There is another Ng Family member that teaches down towards Nashville who is really good. His name is Bruce Linville. Did you check him out? He studied under Dr. Ng back in the early 80's. He's good friends with Rusty.

Bruce

Yes, I did speak with him briefly about a year ago. He seemed reluctant to take on new students since he teaches out of his home. I believe he did a seminar for Rusty last year. He has a reputation for being a great instructor, but I just felt that he did not wish to instruct me even though he invited me to a meeting. No hard feelings there, just not for me. My personality is to welcome all. Yes, I do get burned on that sometimes, but it is my nature.