Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ng Family Style real?

Quote Originally Posted by TrollTerminator View Post
    I see your back at it Little Mark......I've been watching you.....your trolling again and the Troll Terminator will come for you.......remember I know where you are.......DON'T FEAR THE NIGHT........FEAR WHAT HUNTS AT NIGHT
    TT
    this after my attempt to bring this thread back into a constructive place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Golden Tiger........It seems that you have your facts wrong as well. Yes I was wrong in that the tournament was at Lafayette and not L.C.H.S. That much you have right. Last night I was talking to Mark Burgher who was with John Dufresne at this tournament and he remembers it a little differently. It was Mark Burgher, John Dufresne, William Quan, Peter (i think was his first name) Lao, and and girl named Pat (all from Four Seasons). They needed 2 more to complete a group sparr so they picked John as one of the two. Yes you were right in that John was a bloody mess but it wasn't his blood according to Mark Burgher. He says it was from all the SD people he whoooped. John didn't have a scratch on him according to Mark Burgher. He also said that they were not talking smack, just sitting and observing. Care to comment?

Sorry Judge, had to say my piece. Now back on the topic......Judge, can you tell me a little bit about your snake style and the history behind it? Just curious as to your golden snake? Does it come from Southern Shaolin Temple like ours? And what exactly does Golden mean? I've never seen our golden snake or anybody else's for that matter.
    Last edited by mkriii; 05-15-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollTerminator View Post
    I see your back at it Little Mark......I've been watching you.....your trolling again and the Troll Terminator will come for you.......remember I know where you are.......DON'T FEAR THE NIGHT........FEAR WHAT HUNTS AT NIGHT
    TT

TrollTerminator..........Bring it, don't sing it! I'll be waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    this after my attempt to bring this thread back into a constructive place.
    Just Wookie at his shennanigans...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Sorry Judge, had to say my piece. Now back on the topic......Judge, can you tell me a little bit about your snake style and the history behind it? Just curious as to your golden snake? Does it come from Southern Shaolin Temple like ours? And what exactly does Golden mean? I've never seen our golden snake or anybody else's for that matter.
    I wish I could, but I'm not privy to the style. There's been some general history on SD's Golden Snake discussed before, but nothing too specific. As this was GM The's specialty, the general thought among the rank and file is that this is something that GM The' will only teach to his most senior students. I couldn't tell you if he has ever taught anyone any of the Golden Snake.

We have a bit of snake outside of Golden Snake. Specifically Snake PaKua, (which I've just been introduced to) and Liu Sing Snake (which I'll learn later this year). I'm sure there are those that have a better background in snake that could comment more thoroughly than me.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

And what exactly does Golden mean? I've never seen our golden snake or anybody else's for that matter.
    The term's shown up in a number of movies and is the name of some techniques in other styles.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Golden Tiger........It seems that you have your facts wrong as well. Yes I was wrong in that the tournament was at Lafayette and not L.C.H.S. That much you have right. Last night I was talking to Mark Burgher who was with John Dufresne at this tournament and he remembers it a little differently. It was Mark Burgher, John Dufresne, William Quan, Peter (i think was his first name) Lao, and and girl named Pat (all from Four Seasons). They needed 2 more to complete a group sparr so they picked John as one of the two. Yes you were right in that John was a bloody mess but it wasn't his blood according to Mark Burgher. He says it was from all the SD people he whoooped. John didn't have a scratch on him according to Mark Burgher. He also said that they were not talking smack, just sitting and observing. Care to comment?
    Who wants to jump on this Merry-go-round? I've spoken to several people who were there and a few that I believe were objective with no bias. The consensus from my sources were

1. Yes there was a significant amount of heckling by the 4 seasons students during the tournament;

2. Master Leonard did injure his ankle in the tournament (and his mobility was severely limited prior to the fight);

3. things were going all right during the group sparring until one of the 4 seasons individuals got too rough with a female SD black-belt and then it certainly became SD vs. 4 Seasons;

4. Master Hiang stopped the group sparring because of this and Leonard was matched up one on one to John Dufresne;

5. Both fought very well and exchanged good solid techniques. Both were bleeding from blows they incurred from the other; and

6. John got did the better of Master Leonard. It wasn't a but whipping, but John won the fight.

Maybe it was because of the injury, maybe it wasn't. The point is I DON'T KNOW IF ANY OF IT WAS TRUE. Since we weren't there, we are simply repeating the oral history as passed to us. If I know anything from my profession, you can't trust even the best-intentioned testimony even moments after an occurrence because perception and memory degrade anyone's observations. Add the passage of years and one's own bias, and these stories as to what really happened are basically worthless.

I'll say this before I let it go: You are so adamant to point out that your teachers were sitting there showing the utmost respect during the tournament, but yet you have constantly shown very little respect to SD during your postings. Shouldn't that tell you something as to who to believe?

Now can we let this go and actually have a constructive conversation about techniques and training methods again?
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-15-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Care to comment?
    No, I see no need to concerning this.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Can we let go of the past now and move on to the fun stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Drama. Whatever.

Nice post, JP. You're posting style is familiarly diplomatic and well-organized. Is your undergrad in English?

Shane
    I wish I was smart enough to be an English major. I was a political science/economics major in undergrad. Where's your wife going to grad school? I dated a psychology PhD once. I was in way over my head!

I think the best thing is to go back to ignoring Mark....nobody really cares about what happened 20 years ago....GM Sin had nothing to do with it anyway and M. Hiang is no longer associated with SD.......so Mark needs to go over to M. Hiang's school and express his beef there.....I'm sure he would love to discuss it with him

Hopefully all can get back to an intelligent conversation.
    Thanks Shane for being a great representative of the Ng family arts.
    BQ

This thread doesn't need another detour. I thought about it yesterday that it was a shame what mrkiii wasted in putting into it instead of something constructive. Hopefully he will consider that in the future. Every group has a mrkiii or three, I just might be one
    I have seen Master John perform as well as others from 4Seasons and thought that they practiced quite a bit to look as good as they did.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    This thread doesn't need another detour. I thought about it yesterday that it was a shame what mrkiii wasted in putting into it instead of something constructive. Hopefully he will consider that in the future. Every group has a mrkiii or three, I just might be one
    I have seen Master John perform as well as others from 4Seasons and thought that they practiced quite a bit to look as good as they did.
    I thought this was a Ng Family thread.......I guess we were being to civil
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Circle Walking Eight Energy Palms w/ Inside Change and Outside Change
    hi shane,

this is the first thing i was taught in the gao bagua i am now learning. we practice it in combinations like in, in, in, out, in, out, out etc etc ... it has helped my jiang rong qiao bagua practice. do ya'all mix it up like that?

hope the question makes sense ...
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    You know, I can't figure out if this is a compliment or a put down. Thank you for saying that the people from 4 Seasons looked good, that part is a compliment. But the part about them practicing as much as they did to look as good as they did has me a bit confused. I can say this though......everyone at 4 Seasons did work out hard and a lot. Almost everyone took thier kung fu & wu shu serious. And they were VERY competitive and wanted to show that they were the best (and they were). They competed at every tournament they could from the US Open to AKA Grand Nationals to Battle of Atlanta to Capital Classic to WACO Nationals. They (meaning John Dufresne, Gary Dezarn, Mark Burgher, Kim Warner, Eric Nesson, Mary The' Fernandez, and Julie Frederick) all were nationally rated either #1 or #2 on the NASKA national circuit (which is the largest and most prestigous circuit). They also competed regionally and most were ranked #1 in thier divisions. I was a little whipper snapper at the time (mid 80's) but I remember what their workouts were like and it looked like pretty intense training.
    Last edited by mkriii; 06-10-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling