Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Is Ng Family Style real?

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    no but I'll check and see if any other Ng members have heard of him. Be leery of any claims. Give me to the end of the day and I'll be able to tell you if he is legit.
    Si-Gung David Stephens is a Native American from Nashville, TN U.S.A. ...

Through Master Don Averitt, a well respected colleague, he found himself in the company of Great Grand Master Winglock J. Ng of the Shaolin family lineage. Great Grand Master Ng examined Si-Fu Donnavan closely and decided that he was in fact worthy of his much deserved graduation to the level of Si-Gung ( Master ). So on February 25th, 2006 Great Grand Master Winglock J. Ng along with Grand Master Tim Pickens, Master Tom Pardue, and Master Frank Sexton he received his certification as a Shaolin Master within the Ng family lineage. The Ng family has adopted Si-Gung Donnavan as a member of their family and his life study will continue to prosper with their guidance and understanding. Upon graduating Si-Fu Donnavan to the level of Si-Gung, Great Grand Master Ng had but one request of him. He said, "go do good things". Si-Gung Donnavan, proficient in the Shaolin way of life fully understands this request and what it truly means.

http://www.shaolinconcepts.com/1024/home.htm
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    This Donnavan guy is a fraud in my oppinion. The first tip off is the uniform. I can't think of one Ng person that teaches that have thier students wear a Shaolin Monk uniform. Grandmaster Ng wasn't much on uniforms, his students wore kung fu pants and a school t shirt. No formal uniform except for competition. The second thing that makes me think this guy is a fraud is I checked with some old time students from early 1980's and they never heard of the guy. These people I checked with would know because it is this group that were pretty much the main students of John Ng and would carry on his kung fu. I'd like to talk to this Donnavan guy myself and call him on his BS.

Upon accepting his rank of Si-Fu he adopted the gung fu name of "Donnavan" ( dark warrior ).
    He goes on to call himself Sigung Donnavan.

But, he's got a certificate signed by Ng:
    http://www.shaolinconcepts.com/conte...tification.pdf
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

This Donnavan guy is a fraud in my oppinion. The first tip off is the uniform. I can't think of one Ng person that teaches that have thier students wear a Shaolin Monk uniform. Grandmaster Ng wasn't much on uniforms, his students wore kung fu pants and a school t shirt. No formal uniform except for competition. The second thing that makes me think this guy is a fraud is I checked with some old time students from early 1980's and they never heard of the guy. These people I checked with would know because it is this group that were pretty much the main students of John Ng and would carry on his kung fu. I'd like to talk to this Donnavan guy myself and call him on his BS.
    Looks like he trained under Pickens. Was Pickens one of the people you asked about him? Thanks.

I saw that he was trained under Pickens. I was wrong. It appears he trained under Master Pickens. BUT he did not personally train under GreatGrandmaster Ng. That's why no one that I talked to knew of him. I was asking people that trained directly under GM Ng. That would probably be like someone asking if they ever heard of some black belt under one of Grandmaster Sin The's students that lives in Colorado.

Shaolin Concepts

I believe he also states he trained under Tom Pardue from Bowling Green. I spoke with this teacher at one time and he said he had only 2 Ng style students. He mainly promotes his Kenpo classes, but I do not think he actually teaches those. I believe Mark is right that Rusty Gray and Bruce Linville are the only legit Ng family teachers in Nashville. Unfortunately, it appears that Sifu Gray has closed down his kwoon. I do not know the story on that, but hope he is healthy and well.

Quote Originally Posted by peace&love View Post
    I believe he also states he trained under Tom Pardue from Bowling Green. I spoke with this teacher at one time and he said he had only 2 Ng style students. He mainly promotes his Kenpo classes, but I do not think he actually teaches those. I believe Mark is right that Rusty Gray and Bruce Linville are the only legit Ng family teachers in Nashville. Unfortunately, it appears that Sifu Gray has closed down his kwoon. I do not know the story on that, but hope he is healthy and well.
    That's interesting. The Shaolin Concepts guy also has Kenpo classes on his class schedule. Sounds like he maybe mixing and matching. Still, he claims 5th black under Ng. Am I wrong to equate that with somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 years of training?

Rusty is doing good. I spoke with him about 2 weeks ago. Rusty is teaching at some gym that he rents a space at. I forget the name of the gym. He is jumping on the MMA bandwagon now. He is planning a MMA show sometime in October. I think October 25. I will have to check in with him. He was telling me how big and great this MMA show was going to be, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    That's interesting. The Shaolin Concepts guy also has Kenpo classes on his class schedule. Sounds like he maybe mixing and matching. Still, he claims 5th black under Ng. Am I wrong to equate that with somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 years of training?
    He looks aweful young to be a 5th level black sash. He does show his certificate on his web site though that verifies his rank. I must admit that Greatgrandmaster Ng's signature looks authentic. I've seen John Ng sign a many diplomas and seen his signature enough to know that it is real. Now the question is did he copy the signature over somehow? I don't know. I have never seen the other people signature before. If Ng's is real then I'm sure the others are as well. This guys age is whats making me not so confident in him.

Rusty is doing good. I spoke with him about 2 weeks ago. Rusty is teaching at some gym that he rents a space at. I forget the name of the gym. He is jumping on the MMA bandwagon now. He is planning a MMA show sometime in October. I think October 25. I will have to check in with him. He was telling me how big and great this MMA show was going to be, we'll see.

He looks aweful young to be a 5th level black sash. He does show his certificate on his web site though that verifies his rank. I must admit that Greatgrandmaster Ng's signature looks authentic. I've seen John Ng sign a many diplomas and seen his signature enough to know that it is real. Now the question is did he copy the signature over somehow? I don't know. I have never seen the other people signature before. If Ng's is real then I'm sure the others are as well. This guys age is whats making me not so confident in him.
    That's what I was thinking. Unless he started very young, he seems to have progressed very quickly, especially if he was studying Ng family style and kenpo at the same time.

interesting

As mentioned before, I spoke with this teacher when I was forced to look for a new kwoon when my old one closed down. He was very sell the product oriented and I felt like I was in the TKD school from when I was younger. He really pushed the Kenpo classes. At the time, I was interested in studying under Rusty Gray, but that did not work out because of my schedule. I made it a point to speak with and work with all the teachers available to me. Donnavan? (I thought it was odd he took on some new name. I forget his real name. He says somewhere on his website that he changed it once he became a master or something.) Anyway, I informed him that I was interested in studying Ng Family style and he said that he does not really like to teach that, but his Kenpo classes are great. I just found it all a bit odd. He has a lot of stuff on his website and is looking to get into Gracie stuff as well. That has been "coming soon" for over a year I believe. If anyone out there is looking to study the Ng family style, they are probably better off working with Rusty Gray.

I believe Donnavan says he studied with Tom Pardue. I know that Pardue left the Ng family system for some time, but I do not know if he is currently involved with them again. He was with Au's Shaolin Arts and left that as well. If Mark is hunting down the facts on this guy, Sifu Gray is probably the best bet to find out the scoop.

I noticed on Dannavan's certificate he has Pardue's name, Frank Sexton's name (who is no longer associated with Ng family due to internal conflict), GM Tim Pickens' name, and Great Grandmaster Ng's name. Grand master Ng's name looks authentic. The only way to be sure about Donnavan is to check with Tim Pickens or Tom Pardue. Its a shame there isn't a date on that certificate because Frank Sexton has not been affiliated for about 2 years. If he (Donnavan) got that certificate within the past 2 years chances are its a fake. There was some contraversy over Sexton and a tournament that was SUPPOSED to have happened back in 2006 but never did. This cuased a seperation with Sexton and Ng family from what I understood. Hope that helps.

I believe Donnavan says he studied with Tom Pardue. I know that Pardue left the Ng family system for some time, but I do not know if he is currently involved with them again. He was with Au's Shaolin Arts and left that as well. If Mark is hunting down the facts on this guy, Sifu Gray is probably the best bet to find out the scoop.

I don't think Pardue teaches Ng style that much anymore. I'll PM you about that.

Rusty Gray used to teach what he called Pai Lum Kung fu until the mid 80's or early 90 's so whats with this other stuff can he be a 5th level by now ?? KC very commercial I would say
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Rusty is an 8th level black sash. I just spoke with Rusty yesterday. He is putting on a cage fight show in Nashville in November. It is going to be at the Wild Horse Saloon on 2nd Avenue. Rusty is doing good. He's running his school and all is fine. He's mainly doing wing chun but still teaches Ng style a little.

Rusty is an 8th level black sash.
    In which style?