Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ng Family Style real?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Thanks for the clip Bruce. You call that "level training" What do you mean by that? I'm not familiar with that term. Are you referring to training without the circle walk or training on different surfaces (not necessarily level)?
    sorry to derail the thread :-)

it can have circle walking how ever many steps you would like then to any posture and step if you want to and then do any posture.

in general the way i do it is i start by doing the form with no circle walking just doing the postures. then i circle walk and do random postures. you can have a training partner call out the next random posture to test you brain a bit.

since you mention different surfaces i feel it is essential to walk you circle on a variety of surfaces uneven ground, flat ground, hills, rocks, on ice (as seen in that clip), in mud, in thick grass ... etc etc
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    sorry to derail the thread :-)

it can have circle walking how ever many steps you would like then to any posture and step if you want to and then do any posture.

in general the way i do it is i start by doing the form with no circle walking just doing the postures. then i circle walk and do random postures. you can have a training partner call out the next random posture to test you brain a bit.

since you mention different surfaces i feel it is essential to walk you circle on a variety of surfaces uneven ground, flat ground, hills, rocks, on ice (as seen in that clip), in mud, in thick grass ... etc etc
    I agree with the different terrain training. I would go even further and say to train in the types of clothes that you normally wear to get a feel for the movement in those clothes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Shane......do you know if there is a tournament (Mountain Fellowship) this year? I heard about something about some trouble that Frank had with a tournament and some money last year I think it was? Do you know anything about it? I heard this is why GM Ng doesn't teach Frank anymore. If you do not wish to say openly you can PM me on it. Just curious. If there is a tournament this year I hope I haven't missed it. I'd like to go up and see John Ng and his family. It's hard to believe his son is in college now. I remember his son when he was just a little baby crawling around on the floor at Four Seasons here in Lexington when John had his school here (Lex.). Makes me feel old.....lol. I might have met you before Shane. I was up in Whitesburg in 2005 or 2006 for that tournament and also a few other times learning a little Monkey BaQua. Frank and GM Ng were teaching it to me, Mark Burgher, and a few others that went up with us. Mark Burgher had a bad case of gout in his foot and GM Ng did accupuncture on him (Burgher) back at his house. Then we went out for Chinese food at some hole in the wall place BUT really good food.

I don't think I was at the first one but I was at the second one. The second one is when Brian Hall was there. I don't know if you met him. Me and him went to Morehead University together. I know Dufresne was there as well and Mark Burger and I believe Chris Spalding was there too.

Yeah, Dufresne knows all about tournaments. He's competed and judged at enough of them. I wish he were still here in Kentucky, It makes it hard to learn when your sifu is in another state. I only get to see him maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I get to talk to him on the phone and through e-mails though but it's not the same.

Anyways, if your ever in Lexington give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    I don't think I was at the first one but I was at the second one. The second one is when Brian Hall was there. I don't know if you met him. Me and him went to Morehead University together. I know Dufresne was there as well and Mark Burger and I believe Chris Spalding was there too.

Yeah, Dufresne knows all about tournaments. He's competed and judged at enough of them. I wish he were still here in Kentucky, It makes it hard to learn when your sifu is in another state. I only get to see him maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I get to talk to him on the phone and through e-mails though but it's not the same.

Anyways, if your ever in Lexington give me a shout.
    Mark, Shane lives in Lexington.
    BQ

Awe.........Silly me. So he does. I didn't even look to see where he lived. We'll have to get together sometime Shane. Where abouts do you live in Lexington. I'm over in the Palomar area.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    How friendly has mkriii been ???? Just thought he would like a taste of his own medicin for a while KC
    Thought you should know that medicin is actually spelled MEDICINE. There is an E on the end of it. If your going to be hateful at least have the decency to spell correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    Just because work is a little slow this morning......

So you can at least have some of this dead horse story correct:

It was Lafayette, not Lex Catholic. 1984 to be exact.

It wasn't a team sparring division, it was an open spar, circle fight if you will brought on because M. Hiang was tired of your Sifu and others sitting in stands yelling smack and disrupting the tournement.

You Sifu and friend didn't kick about 8 or 9 students a$$. Your Sifu fought Bill Leonard, one on one, in a match refreed by Master Hiang. The clear winner is debatable. Both were bleeding after the match.

So Mark, please, when you decide to discuss the realness of your system, base it on reality, not on a story (that you don't seem to know very well) about an event that happened 24 years ago! Base it on the now, what you gain from it and what it has to offer you.

And yes, I was there......
    I let this go for a while (to long) but the more I read your post the more I have to say this. My sifu was not yelling smack as you state. They were hand picked out of the croud in the stands by so called "grandmaster" Hiang The' to come down and join thier competition (whether team sparring or not it isn't important). When my sifu and the other got down to the ring they got jumped by a bunch of SD people. It was all orchastrated & planned out way in advance. Yes this happened 20 + years ago but how would you or your fellow Shaolin Do brothers feel if this had happened to one of thier people such as Elder Master Leonard? You would still harbor feelings of dislike also. There has always been a rival and to some will continue to have emotions regarding that event. You had two big named martial art schools that had been around for many many years whithin the same town. Your going to have a bit of a rivalry.

Whats she getting her PhD in?

The E is silent in Medicine as you should be. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

I let this go for a while (too long) but the more I read your post the more I have to say this. My sifu was not yelling smack as you state. They were hand picked out of the croud in the stands by so called "grandmaster" Hiang The' to come down and join thier (their)competition (whether team sparring or not it isn't important). When my sifu and the other got down to the ring they got jumped by a bunch of SD people. It was all orchastrated & planned out way in advance. Yes this happened 20 + years ago but how would you or your fellow Shaolin Do brothers feel if this had happened to one of thier people such as Elder Master Leonard? You would still harbor feelings of dislike also. There has always been a rival and to some will continue to have emotions regarding that event. You had two big named martial art schools that had been around for many many years whithin the same town. Your going to have a bit of a rivalry.

Quote from mrkiii , If your going to be hateful at least have the decency to spell correctly.

Dude, you really don't know what you are talking about.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I agree with the different terrain training. I would go even further and say to train in the types of clothes that you normally wear to get a feel for the movement in those clothes.
    totally i always train in my "normal" cloths.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

I let this go for a while (to long) but the more I read your post the more I have to say this. My sifu was not yelling smack as you state.

Actually, yes they were. All throughout the demo, they were yelling, making comments, standing out quite a bit. And I didn't even mention the funny somersault and one finger salute he gave when he was leaving the building.

They were hand picked out of the croud in the stands by so called "grandmaster" Hiang The' to come down and join thier competition (whether team sparring or not it isn't important).

Wrong again. At the end of the demo, as has always been, there was to be a circle fight. It usually invloves all the black belts that did the demo. Because the other group kept running smack, Master (not Grand Master at the time mind you) Hiang said "If anyone in the stands would like to join, please come on down" I know this because my instructor at the time was sitting with me got up and went down to join.

When my sifu and the other got down to the ring they got jumped by a bunch of SD people. It was all orchastrated & planned out way in advance.

Wrong again. It was a circle fight, everybody against everybody. It was only after one of the guys knocked down a woman and was on top of her did anyone really pay attention. After that, a lot of smack was being thrown from both sides, then Master Bill and John agreed to a match.

Yes this happened 20 + years ago but how would you or your fellow Shaolin Do brothers feel if this had happened to one of thier people such as Elder Master Leonard?
    Personally, I would be ashamed of them. If he/they couldn't attend someone elses demo and watch and not be noticed, there is something wrong.

You would still harbor feelings of dislike also.
    Apparently not. They came to our demo, caused this infamous mess and I have no ill feeling toward any of them

There has always been a rival and to some will continue to have emotions regarding that event. You had two big named martial art schools that had been around for many many years whithin the same town. Your going to have a bit of a rivalry.

Yeah, I used to be like that when I was in High School........
    Look Mark, I was there, BQ was there, BM2 was there, OTD* was there...you were not. We have all stated the same facts of the evening and to speak for my self, it was not a good night for anyone. You can think what you want to think about it based on second hand heresay, but you will never be correct. There seems to be a good conversation going on this thread and there is no reason to derail it with something that doesn't really matter to anyone anymore....

* spelling mistakes are in italics just for giggles
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    Look Mark, I was there, BQ was there, BM2 was there, OTD* was there...you were not. We have all stated the same facts of the evening and to speak for my self, it was not a good night for anyone. You can think what you want to think about it based on second hand heresay, but you will never be correct. There seems to be a good conversation going on this thread and there is no reason to derail it with something that doesn't really matter to anyone anymore....

* spelling mistakes are in italics just for giggles
    Mark, it appears the only person still harboring ill will is you. We've started a fairly constructive conversation here on the training methods of Ng family kung fu. It's a nice topic for Ng people and SD people because they certainly share certain geographic roots and the way material is "mixed and matched" is similar so we have information that is helpful to share with one another. This forum and this thread can either go a long way to heal old wounds or it can be used to dig up old hatchets. Please ask your sifu which he would prefer you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I let this go for a while (to long) but the more I read your post the more I have to say this. My sifu was not yelling smack as you state. They were hand picked out of the croud in the stands by so called "grandmaster" Hiang The' to come down and join thier competition (whether team sparring or not it isn't important). When my sifu and the other got down to the ring they got jumped by a bunch of SD people. It was all orchastrated & planned out way in advance. Yes this happened 20 + years ago but how would you or your fellow Shaolin Do brothers feel if this had happened to one of thier people such as Elder Master Leonard? You would still harbor feelings of dislike also. There has always been a rival and to some will continue to have emotions regarding that event. You had two big named martial art schools that had been around for many many years whithin the same town. Your going to have a bit of a rivalry.
    I see your back at it Little Mark......I've been watching you.....your trolling again and the Troll Terminator will come for you.......remember I know where you are.......DON'T FEAR THE NIGHT........FEAR WHAT HUNTS AT NIGHT
    TT