View Poll Results: Do you hit stuff and do forms?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do forms and all other types of conditioning and hard contact fighting.

30 90.91%
  • No, I just do forms

3 9.09%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you hit stuff?

Do you hit stuff?

According to our resident sales associate for NYSD. You all who do forms don't hit anything or fight with contact.

Is that true? Do you do pad work, bag work, conditioning, sparring etc as well as form work?

This reminds me of the "Do you spar" poll. Which was a resounding yes. But apparently its been forgotten.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 05-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Heavy bag, thai pads, focus mitts, partners.

yes, kungfu training requires that you hit stuff.

I would not say the same for wushu. maybe that's where the disconnect is?
    Many people think modern wushu is what most kungfu practitioners do.

It's an optics thing and the movie industry doesn't help one iota with the fantasy tales. I prefer a good old knock down drag it out fighter movie ...but for some reason, it's all about film and less about the martial arts! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what about the people who dont do forms at all?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Some schools don't because they're too small for a heavy bag and sets stuff if other people are doing forms. Luckily I go to a big school with a nice rig. Plus, I have a heavy bag, speed bag, target ball set-up that I own. Yeah, I hit stuff.

I hit people, too.

One time I kicked a dog, but it was by accident. Still, I kicked it pretty hard.

hitting stuff is relative though...
    on a hung ga forum, this was posted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06PyAI7NLc

it's proof that tcma guys do hit stuff and pretty typical of a lot of the schools that i've visited.

i was invited to that forum a while ago by some friends to provide a sport fighter's input.
    when i tried to comment on the video, i got this "what the heck are you doing here?" type response; along with "yeah, i already know what boxers and kickboxers would say about it".
    Real stand-offish vibe; but admittedly my wording wasn't the most careful.
    Instead of discussing the technique, discussing the method to the madness, and maybe having a good exchange of info & new ideas; it became a "this is what we do, now leave us alone" kinda thing.

i'll let guys like lkfmdc break into the specifics of what a sport fighting trainer sees when he views that clip; but I think I can pretty safely say there's at least a couple elements missing from that padwork that really hamper the transition from that into live, full-contact.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Who the heck is NYSD?

Why do we care what they think?
    Bodhi Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Who the heck is NYSD?

your assuming that we do care
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Who the heck is NYSD?

NYSD i suppose stands for New York San Da, lkfmdc's gym...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Uhmm Yeaaaaahhhh!! doesn't everybody hit stuff?

I am even known to palm brick walls darn near full power to see if i can make them flex or break...they usually do one or the other. I do THAT for fun. I suspect an actually person would not want to get hit by me when i am angry.

Never mind I have a heavy bag in my living room near the front door...that does not see a single day of rest.

There is a rule in my house...don't pass the bag without hitting it. Even my daughter follows that rule.

So yeah, I hit stuff frequently.

I don't like hurting people. I practice toad kung fu. I only get hit, I never hit people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    NYSD i suppose stands for New York San Da, lkfmdc's gym...
    actually its a New York self defense (karate). Its a new gym in soho.
    everyone knows that at NYSanda you only do forms/katas. Heck just visit the gym you will see people wearing karate Gis...

I could be wrong but we just had a whole group of people fight Kickboxing and MMA. I pretty sure everyone did very well. I know for a fact that one guy didn't win, but beat the crap out of the guy and was robbed of the win. honestly, if your going to talk **** about a gym, thats not the gym you want to pick. You couldn't pay me to fight allot of the guys... and even some of the Females.(ok just one). You can say what you will about Dave (lkfmdc), but he trains hard and his fighters are tough. He is very proud of his fighters (nothing wrong with that).
    Last edited by monji112000; 05-04-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Si

I would say that hitting "stuff" is a part of my training as well as forms. Focus pads, kick shields and the every constantly changing sparring/training partner.

Now, if the question were do we hit people just for fun....
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

this isn't about whether or not dave has collected an nice selection of people that fight.

Its about him being full of shit with the opinion that nobody else does. And that if you just happen to do forms, that its all you do, and you couldn't possibly have time for anything else.

So far its 14 "up yours" votes to the one troll from monji.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    this isn't about whether or not dave has collected an nice selection of people that fight.

Its about him being full of shit with the opinion that nobody else does. And that if you just happen to do forms, that its all you do, and you couldn't possibly have time for anything else.

So far its 14 "up yours" votes to the one troll from monji.
    how'd that avoid censoring?

I hit the hay sometimes. In a few minutes, too.

ancient Chinese secret(quote me to find out)