View Poll Results: Do you hit stuff and do forms?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do forms and all other types of conditioning and hard contact fighting.

30 90.91%
  • No, I just do forms

3 9.09%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you hit stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    hitting stuff is relative though...
    on a hung ga forum, this was posted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06PyAI7NLc

it's proof that tcma guys do hit stuff and pretty typical of a lot of the schools that i've visited.

i was invited to that forum a while ago by some friends to provide a sport fighter's input.
    when i tried to comment on the video, i got this "what the heck are you doing here?" type response; along with "yeah, i already know what boxers and kickboxers would say about it".
    Real stand-offish vibe; but admittedly my wording wasn't the most careful.
    Instead of discussing the technique, discussing the method to the madness, and maybe having a good exchange of info & new ideas; it became a "this is what we do, now leave us alone" kinda thing.

i'll let guys like lkfmdc break into the specifics of what a sport fighting trainer sees when he views that clip; but I think I can pretty safely say there's at least a couple elements missing from that padwork that really hamper the transition from that into live, full-contact.
    I'm a TCMA teacher (OK, I do San Shou as well, but) and I'LL say that is some of the lamest stuff I've ever seen. Why would people even bother with it? That was beyond basic, not to mention the fact that their punching form was poor and weak.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Make another thread for your personal bias' please. while you are at it. provide your own video. I'm sure somebody out there thinks your way is lame too.

Last edited by SifuAbel; 05-05-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Are you high on crack? That wasn't traditional, it was just bad. Why do I need to provide my own video to illustrate the obvious?
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Ok then hijack this thread and be more specific. quid pro quo

saying "its bad" is not descriptive of WHY you think its bad. A video of yourself doing better is then a must. Also for the sake of the argument show the better skills to offset the bad ones.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 05-05-2008 at 02:29 AM.

You somewhat missed the point, The video was posted to imply that TCMA people are delusional about what impact training entails, and the value of what they're doing. I am pointing out that that is a very poor example, and certainly not representative of anything I've ever done at a TCMA club.
    Specific? OK. What is being trained in that drill? Targeting? It's static, you may as well punch a wallbag. Power generation? Clearly not. Conditioning? It's not hard enough. Timing? Not with the static way they're doing it. Cardio? It's way too easy. So what actually is the point of that drill and what's it achieving?
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Make another thread for your personal bias' please. while you are at it. provide your own video. I'm sure somebody out there thinks your way is lame too.

Of course no one but the fat, ugly duck-monkey is allowed to have an opinion...

It does say "basic (stationary) focus mitts drils" on the tag. most of what you've just noted is bias. Again these are blanket opinions.
    Cardio? they are moving quite well enough for some cardio work. Anybody that has throw punches at a bag for a length of time gets cardio.

targeting? if you mean the way people feed the pads into the punches then no, THAT doesn't do anything but make the person a blind robot. Perhaps moving the pad around is the next step for them. hence, "basic (stationary) focus mitts drills"

Power generation? whats so different? they are rooted one leg in front of the other. Using their hips to whip the torso into the punch. what should they be doing? deep gung bows and nothing else, that is just adding to the problem people have with CMA.

How can you measure "hard" on a video tape? Or better yet what would you have them do. be specific.

Again, show us better.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 05-05-2008 at 02:51 AM.

Are your feet wet and can you see pyramids?
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I am even known to palm brick walls darn near full power to see if i can make them flex or break...they usually do one or the other. I do THAT for fun. I suspect an actually person would not want to get hit by me when i am angry.

Oh brother.....................

this isn't about whether or not dave has collected an nice selection of people that fight.

Its about him being full of shit with the opinion that nobody else does. And that if you just happen to do forms, that its all you do, and you couldn't possibly have time for anything else.

So far its 14 "up yours" votes to the one troll from monji.
    so if I have a different opinion then I'm a troll?

Power generation? whats so different? they are rooted one leg in front of the other. Using their hips to whip the torso into the punch. what should they be doing? deep gung bows and nothing else, that is just adding to the problem people have with CMA.

How can you measure "hard" on a video tape? Or better yet what would you have them do. be specific.
    I saw no hip movement whatsoever.

and if you want video of "static" pad work with decent hip movement & fighter form, all I got is this (not proud of it):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AybvwApnRc

At least suntzu's hips are moving, his shoulders are getting into the punch instead of just remaining static, he's reacting to incoming shots instead of just firing for repetition, and he's got decent power (I'm not holding the mitts static - actually providing resistance)...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Slapping down on his fist does not increase his power, that is a lie that people need to stop telling.

ok, so this guy did three punches, a slip and kick. Ok nice but it doesn't support your arguement. if you don't to see hip movement from the other video then you must REALLY not want to see it. If anything this your guy had a wide guard and loose round punches after he broke position. And it was the same drill over and over again in the same place. So far you haven't said anything relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    so if I have a different opinion then I'm a troll?
    what opinion? you're a troll.

Slapping down on his fist does not increase his power, that is a lie that people need to stop telling.

ok, so this guy did three punches, a slip and kick. Ok nice but it doesn't support your arguement. if you don't to see hip movement from the other video then you must REALLY not want to see it. If anything this your guy had a wide guard and loose round punches after he broke position. And it was the same drill over and over again in the same place. So far you haven't said anything relevant.
    what opinion? you're a troll.
    OK if I'm a troll your a jackas. Well no your a ******* anyway
    The clip looked fine to me. He seems to get some torque..
    were is your clip? doing pad work? or even fighting
    repetition is the best way to build muscle memory. I'm sure he also does dynamic drills that vary(like sparring).
    Last edited by monji112000; 05-05-2008 at 06:59 PM.

I just mailed the owner of the hung kuen clip about this discussion here..so at least he can take his stand (if he can be bothered)..thought it would be only fair..