View Poll Results: Do you hit stuff and do forms?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do forms and all other types of conditioning and hard contact fighting.

30 90.91%
  • No, I just do forms

3 9.09%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you hit stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    were is your clip? doing pad work? or even fighting
    You haven't seen the vid of him tapping out to an 'ear grind' in under two minutes? Its famous!

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Slapping down on his fist does not increase his power, that is a lie that people need to stop telling.
    Providing resistance to his punches and not just holding the pad there DOES increase punching power - that's why boxers do it... if that weren't the case boxers would hit birthday balloons and not heavybags.

ok, so this guy did three punches, a slip and kick. Ok nice but it doesn't support your arguement. if you don't to see hip movement from the other video then you must REALLY not want to see it.
    In tcma you've got the six harmonies, hips and shoulders are one of them, a lot of the guys in the first vid have completely stationary shoulders throughout their punches; which implies no hip movement.
    I'm wondering what you're seeing, actually, because aside from the vid poster not a lot of folks i know agree with you.

If anything this your guy had a wide guard and loose round punches after he broke position. And it was the same drill over and over again in the same place. So far you haven't said anything relevant.
    FYI- you're the one who made the comment about the first vid being a "static" drill, so i provided a "static" drill of my own.

Actually it was 2 drills - slipping the jab and slipping the cross, each had a different response counter; i just didn't mix it up enough coz we actually hadn't done padwork with each other in 6 to 8 months. You really shoulda seen it a year prior.

By wide guard I'm assuming you mean the round kicks?
    That's a torque thing (hip movement) that a lot of people do and it is intentional.

Otherwise, unlike the first vid he's relaxed throwing his punches - not too tense.
    His round punches are intentionally wide because they're easier to throw and easier to land when combined with round kicks (boxing hooks tend to be much tighter).

He likes a lower guard than I feel comfortable with - but he has the head movement to pull it off.
    We were watching a lot of this video at the time and I know I would change some stuff up these days:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiDgNwnLjYE
    (FYI - That's Pat Militech, trainer of Matt Hughes, Tim Silvia, Jeremy Horn, and Robbier Lawler, as well as being a UFC champ himself)

Laukarbo
    Sure enough. It'll be interesting if he comes.
    You were there, on the other forum, I tried to have a conversation on his turf and he decided to be a bit of a git about having a discussion or accepting any criticism.
    In sport fighting you can offer a critique and it's not going to come off like a personal attack.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

hello, thnx to all for their comments.

most of the stuff discussed here has been already discussed over there

http://www.hungkyun.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0

for anybody interested, please read it

different persons, different points of view. i know what we do, others see what they would like to see - be it good or bad, fair or not.

all the best
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

this is kind of a rediculous question, that doesnt really deserve an answer.

do martial artists hit things and spar/fight with contact?

if they are a martial artist, then it is a requirement.

if people assume that by also have a form or two in your practice refrains you from being able to mix it up with contact. then these people are not only delusional, but most likely technically retarded.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    I just mailed the owner of the hung kuen clip about this discussion here..so at least he can take his stand (if he can be bothered)..thought it would be only fair..
    I know its not fair to rag on that clip, context of what they are doing is not clear.
    Is it typical pad work that one sees in a boxing/MT/Kb/MMA gym?
    No.
    Still, one doesn't know what drill they were working on or the level of the students.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Providing resistance to his punches and not just holding the pad there DOES increase punching power - that's why boxers do it... if that weren't the case boxers would hit birthday balloons and not heavybags.
    I have had more people hold the pads for me than I care to remember, some slap it down, some don't.
    Trainer debate that, some slap too much, so not enough.
    Its a personal preference actually.

I hit everything:
    Makiwara
    IP bag, hanging IP bag
    Bag full of sand and rocks
    Punching bag
    Thai pads
    Focus mitts
    Wooden dummy
    Trees
    Rocks
    Can's of baby formula
    Tables
    Chairs
    The neighbour
    His wife ( in a very different way )
    Assorted woodland creatures
    The guy the decides to mow his lawn at 8 in the morning on a Sunday.
    His wife and their 20 year old nanny from Guatemala ( in a very different way :P )
    The pizza guy
    That schmuck that decides that traffic laws are not applicable to him
    His wife ( in a very different way :P ).

etc...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I hit everything:
    The neighbour
    Assorted woodland creatures ( same way as neighbor's wife )
    etc...
    TMI man, TMI
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    TMI man, TMI
    Beaver is Beaver.

I hit everything:

His wife and their 20 year old nanny from Guatemala ( in a very different way :P )

His wife ( in a very different way :P ).

etc...
    Are you sure their names aren't Rosy?

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    You haven't seen the vid of him tapping out to an 'ear grind' in under two minutes? Its famous!
    show me that bro ???
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    show me that bro ???

Its in here:

http://www.bullshido.org/Rudy_Abel

Quote Originally Posted by SifuExcuses View Post
    Cardio? they are moving quite well enough for some cardio work. Anybody that has throw punches at a bag for a length of time gets cardio.
    BWWWAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Because we all know you are an expert on cardio!!!
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Beaver is Beaver.
    C'mon guy, that's our national animal...show some respect.

A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    omg. what a pack of tools dedicating a site to bitch about Rudy.

that is hilarious!! not to mention definitive of the nerdy toolness that is that site. hahaha.
    Kung Fu is good for you.